Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Abudaman
0 Kudos

Where can I find free nook backgrounds/screensavers?

I have been looking on the internet for them alittle bit and have a website called http://www.nook-look.com/ ....but I didn't really find anything I liked.

I was curious where everyone else was getting theirs.

Thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

Re: Where can I find free nook backgrounds/screensavers?

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

You can also take any other images, put them in grayscale, and size them according to the nook specs. 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

You really don't need to, but converting the image to greyscale can cause it to display more clearly and may lower the file size.

Contributor
Abudaman
0 Kudos

Thanks guys!

Contributor
xxali1096xx
0 Kudos

Check out www.nookbackgrounds.wordpress.com !!!!

Check out nookbackgrounds.wordpress.com!!!
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Like gqb, I used a photo I took of a theatre marquee for Les Miserables, cropped it and put in greyscale.  I love it and brings back great memories of the play and it is also a book, so a perfect wallpaper.  Now that I have ordered a DecalGirl skin with wallpaper, I think I'll use the Les Mis photo and some more playbills from plays that I have seen that are also books (Mary Poppins, Wicked) and use these as screen savers.  I'm loving personalizing my nook, never realized there were so many ways to make it your own until I started reading all of your ideas.  Thanks!

Contributor
Orangustang
0 Kudos

I just started a site for this, so I thought I would let everyone know here. It's ereaderbackgrounds.com. It's a little low on content right now, but it's growing daily. If you've found or made anything you think I should include on the site, feel free to submit it.

Reader
catsnart
0 Kudos

google "free nook wallpapers"

nook-look has alot

but now that i have several saved on my computer, how do i get them on  my nook?

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The problem with some of the free wallpaper sites is that they've turned into Flickr.

I don't know what people are thinking when they upload pictures of their kids, pets, significant others and vacations. Like I'm going to put a picture of somebody's scantily clad girlfriend on my nook as a wallpaper.

Yeesh :smileymad:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

catsnart wrote:

google "free nook wallpapers"

nook-look has alot

but now that i have several saved on my computer, how do i get them on  my nook?

It's clearly explained in the user guide.

New User
zahasemi
0 Kudos

That was a bit snarky.

To get items on your nook, you simply go to "my computer" you should see the "nook" device click to open. You will then see all the folders (my...) just drag the photo you want for your wallpaper to the "my wallpaper" folder and your set.

*note:don't try and add you own folders, if you accidently delete one just unplug your nook from the computer and plug it back in. The folder will come back. Also the images need to be jpeg, npg and a few others (i can't remeber).

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

zahasemi wrote:

That was a bit snarky.

Directing someone to the instructions is snarky?  

Regardless, that response was made in April February.  It's now June.  This had to be at least 30 50 pages back (with default settings) and the person asking that question hasn't posted since.  Actually that poster hasn't even visited since he or she made that post.

Your only intention with bumping it could have been to be snarky by calling the response snarky.  :smileysurprised:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

zahasemi wrote:

That was a bit snarky.

To get items on your nook, you simply go to "my computer" you should see the "nook" device click to open. You will then see all the folders (my...) just drag the photo you want for your wallpaper to the "my wallpaper" folder and your set.

*note:don't try and add you own folders, if you accidently delete one just unplug your nook from the computer and plug it back in. The folder will come back. Also the images need to be jpeg, npg and a few others (i can't remeber).

1. The post you are replying to is over 4 months old as it was posted on February 2nd.
  2. What is snarky about telling someone the instructions can be found in the user guide?

Correspondent
Rose_Bee

zahasemi wrote:

That was a bit snarky.

Did you even bother to notice when that comment was made?

You were replying to a comment that's over FOUR months old.  Try to look at the date on things before you rush in.

This board gets busy enough without old dead threads being brought back to life for no reason.

Contributor
Orangustang
0 Kudos

I just want to let everyone know that the site I mentioned earlier in the thread is now more-or-less in full swing. I'm working on improvements and adding content nearly every day now. As you'll see on the main page, I'm trying to start a "Featured Artist" section, to help promote some up-and-coming artists. So, if you are an artist or know anyone who is and would be interested in some free advertising, let me know either on here or via the email address on the site. Also, please let me know what you think of the site in general. Any feedback is always helpful.

The site:

http://ereaderbackgrounds.com

A sample (images link to categories on the site, where the full-scale versions can be downloaded):

Thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

Perhaps this is heresy, but I found some nice screen savers by doing a search for Kindle screen savers. I modified the text on the bottom of some of them, howevere they will work just fine as is, since they are also 600by 800 jpgs.

Contributor
Orangustang
0 Kudos

Yeah, they're the same size. My site makes no distinction between the two. Almost all of the e-readers use exactly the same screen dimensions.

Frequent Contributor
Loyd
0 Kudos

I've gone to the B&N site and copied some book covers for my favorites and tried to use them for screen savers. They're allmost always in color and most of them don't work very well.

Can anyone tell me how to turn them into greyscale? I'm newly using Mac OS X Lion but I can steal time on my wife's Windows 7 machine if it's necessary.

Thanks in advance.