Contributor
zester42
0 Kudos

White text on black background?

Is it possible to set the N2E (new simple touch edition) to read with white letters on a black background?  I read on the night setting on my NC all the time, and find that I greatly prefer it this way.  The Kindle can be set to read white on black, but I don't see any setting on my N2E to do this.  Anyone know if it is possible on the N2E??

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

Re: White text on black background?

I just got home from B&N with my new N2E (:smileyvery-happy:) and one of the things the sales girl told me about it was that it had the ability to change the background to black and the text to white.  We had a whole conversation about it.  But I also cannot find anywhere in the settings to do this.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I believe I saw that option messing with the display at store the other day, it was part of the text options.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

If it's there (which I seriously doubt based on e-ink technology) I can't find it.

►Without order there is chaos◄
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

The symbol to switch from black to white to white to black usually is done with two A's a white A and black A.  I thought I saw it but then again I was looking like for only a minute so N2E owners have you seen a symbol like that?  

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

The symbol to switch from black to white to white to black usually is done with two A's a white A and black A.  I thought I saw it but then again I was looking like for only a minute so N2E owners have you seen a symbol like that?  

Shadowcat,

I just said I checked my N2E and there is no option in font settings.  I'm quite sure I would recognize the symbol if I saw it.

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

After watching the tutorial video I think maybe I saw the margin option.  As I said I only seen the thing like a minute or two.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

There are options to change margins as well as line spacing.

Inspired Contributor
robin-d
0 Kudos

lindajm22 wrote:

I just got home from B&N with my new N2E (:smileyvery-happy:) and one of the things the sales girl told me about it was that it had the ability to change the background to black and the text to white.  We had a whole conversation about it.  But I also cannot find anywhere in the settings to do this.

are you sure the girl was talking about nook simple touch or the nookcolor? only the nookcolor does this "night" option as its called cause its lcd and backlit hence the need for a dark background white text is needed to be not so bright in the dark.. but the nook eink displays wouldn't have this because they are not backlit and you always need a light source so the black with white text is sorta an unnecessary feature they wouldn't put in.  i have the nook simple. there is no night view. you can change text size and font, spacing of lines and margins but thats it. nookcolor gives you the options for background/text color.

if you DO have nookcolor its a drop down menu directly under the font drop down menu. tap it to open it. and don't get upset if its the nook simple you have you would NOT want the white text dark background on an eink display. just imagine a book page like that it would impossible to read.

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

I am certain we were talking about the new nook touch. At no time did we even bring the nook color into the conversation. In fact, as we were talking about it she was going through the device settings trying to find it but couldn't. There was something I remember her saying about the N1E that was also incorrect, but I can't remember what it was now, and I know because I have a N1E. She was obviously not very informed about the products she was selling.
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

lindajm22 wrote:
I am certain we were talking about the new nook touch. At no time did we even bring the nook color into the conversation. In fact, as we were talking about it she was going through the device settings trying to find it but couldn't. There was something I remember her saying about the N1E that was also incorrect, but I can't remember what it was now, and I know because I have a N1E. She was obviously not very informed about the products she was selling.

That's typical with sellers a lot of times they don't know everything.  I will never forget a few months ago a best buy employee was telling someone that the kindle is the only e-reader that can be read outside which isn't true at all.

Inspired Contributor
robin-d
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ugh it drives me crazy! i along with my entire store try to be really informative and if we are not sure we all ask someone else. we never just guess and it drives me insane when i hear or see people doing it...cuz one person makes every retail person look bad.... heck i went to a best buy when they started carrying nooks and had to tell the guy they didnt have a kindle it was a nook he said no its a kindle and i was ready to punch him in fact i spent 40 minutes showing how to use it and turn it on cause he had no idea when i was done he was like wow...(i hate best buy) 

well sorry about the girl you had. but really you would never want that option on an eink screen it would be really hard to see the white letters...it works on a nookcolor device because of the backlighting. yeah always make them show you what they are saying otherwise they are confusing the two devices or guessing and they shouldn't do that.

Inspired Contributor
Plucknbach
0 Kudos

No,  not on the N2e.  

:smileysad: 

Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer, and Watch this..."
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

robin-d wrote:

ugh it drives me crazy! i along with my entire store try to be really informative and if we are not sure we all ask someone else. we never just guess and it drives me insane when i hear or see people doing it...cuz one person makes every retail person look bad.... heck i went to a best buy when they started carrying nooks and had to tell the guy they didnt have a kindle it was a nook he said no its a kindle and i was ready to punch him in fact i spent 40 minutes showing how to use it and turn it on cause he had no idea when i was done he was like wow...(i hate best buy) 

well sorry about the girl you had. but really you would never want that option on an eink screen it would be really hard to see the white letters...it works on a nookcolor device because of the backlighting. yeah always make them show you what they are saying otherwise they are confusing the two devices or guessing and they shouldn't do that.

That reminds me when I take my Nook places the first thing people tend to say is that a kindle?  Then I say no its the Nook and they are like the what?  Maybe since barnes and noble are now doing more TV ads for themselves that might change?  Amazon is constantly advertising their kindle like it's the best thing since sliced bread.  I think where that best buy employee that I mentioned got that idea from was from a kindle ad which mentions kindle can read outside, yes it can but, to assume it's the only e-reader is wrong.