Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Rockethead26
0 Kudos

Re: Who Loves their Nook?

Have had mine for 5 days, had zero issues, and love reading on it. My wife gave me the Nook and an Oberon cover and almost everytime she sits on the couch next to the lamp table where it lives, she picks up the Nook in its beautiful leather cover and plays touchy-feely with it for a few minutes. She doesn't want one...yet.

Correspondent
snowfireangel
0 Kudos

"Who Loves their Nook?"  I DO I DO I DO - Totally LOVE LOVE LOVE it!  I wanted one so bad when they first came out but was unemployed and couldn't afford it.  Then I finally landed a job and still couldn't afford it...then B&N dropped the price and I got it!  Like others who had to wait to get their Nook, I downloaded the Nook Users Guide and read it thoroughly. 

It is W O N D E R F U L!!!!!  No problems, no issues, just pure bliss.  :smileyvery-happy:

That felt so good to type the above comment. 

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

I bought my Nook 3g/wi-fi a few months ago and I absolutely love it.  It has worked perfectly with no problems whatsoever right out of the box.  If I forget to put it in my purse before I leave the house I am starting to feel the same as if I forgot my Blackberry, or my pants :smileyvery-happy:

I do feel bad for all the folks who are having so much trouble with theirs, especially those who are frustrated trying to hook it up to their home wireless networks.  I am lucky to have the knowledge to be able to configure my wireless network with my eyes closed so it was no problem for me, but to be honest, if I didn't know how I would certainly get someone to help me, whether it is a family member or friend, or paying the Geek Squad or some service.  I mean, if I received a remote car starter for Christmas I certainly wouldn't attempt to install it myself because I don't know how.  And if I did try to do it myself and I couldn't get it to work I wouldn't blame the product.  So if you know absolutely zero about your wireless network you may not want to try to hook it up yourself.  There are just too many variables and options in the router settings and one wrong choice will foul up the whole thing.

Anyway, I love mine and I can't believe how much more I have been reading since buying it.

Scribe
frantastk

Totally in love with mine here, too.  Got it for my birthday in August and it was the awesomest birthday present ever! And yes, I just created the word awesomest and spell check did not flag it as not a word.  :smileyvery-happy: It goes with me everywhere.

The only problem I've ever had is that my Daily never updated until update 1.5 came out, no other connection problems. And after I updated to 1.5 I couldn't download my books to the nook from B&N via wifi (I don't have the 3G version), even though I was connected and could browse the web and buy books from the shop on it. That lasted a few weeks. I played with my router and the only thing I accomplished was screwing up my computer's connection so I put all my wifi setting back exactly the way they were and the nook started working again. Not sure what fixed it, but glad it's back and the connection seems to be faster on it all around. I don't really consider those to be real big problems, just random quirks.

My biggest problem with my nook is not enough time to read! And I've been neglecting my knitting and writing to spend all my spare time reading again, just like when I was a kid.

Fran

Contributor
nairtseuqe

Me Me!  I got my nook in early November (one of those inexpensive referbs from Buy.com) and I LOVE my nook. 

I love how it stays open when you set it on the table and takes up just a little bit of space (instead of a whole place setting by it's self). 

I love how I never have to remember where I put my bookmark.

I love How it has my whole library on it. 

I love how it slides so nicely into the back pocket on my tiny little purse. 

I love all of the free material that I have gotten for it (60+ free books and counting), and all of the great new authors I have tried because of it. 

I love how those books are not taking up space that I don't have on the few bookshelves in my house.

I love how my husband and I can read the same book at the same time without fighting (we both have nooks).

I love how simple it is to put a library book on it. 

I love how I can download previews and excerpts of books so I can read a few chapters before buying. 

I love that I can download books from a whole pack of websites instead of just B&N.

I love the incredibly helpful people here in the forums :smileyvery-happy: (especially that free book thread.  I love you).

There are, of course a few things that I don't love, but well, they aren't very important when there are so many great positives about having a nook :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
ScrappersNook
0 Kudos

Me too, me too...love my nook.   Going on a year with it come January, and I don't go anywhere without it.  No problems here, no complaints, my favorite thing probably is the ability to borrow books from the library.  I love checking my email and seeing the notice that a book is ready for me to download.  What a treat.  Also enjoy the free Friday's, get the ones I want, pass on the ones I don't want.    Love my nook!!!   Velva

Contributor
tecup
0 Kudos

One of the best Christmas presents I ever got from my husband!  I even made it a cover.  It now travels with me everywhere.  I'm downloading books  (from BN and the library) every day and love having bestsellers at my fingertips.  Too many great features to name a favorite.  Love it, thanks BandN!

New User
dare2dream327
0 Kudos

I just got my Nook classic for Christmas and I love it!  I checked out my manual which was helpful, and the video tutorials on the site are also very informative.  I wasn't really surprised I couldn't download much over the holidays since I figured that there were plenty of other people unwrapping their new Nooks and trying the same thing.  Since then, I've had no problems with getting it to browse through books or downloading new ones, so I'm tottaly happy with my new Nook. 

Contributor
Serendipitous
0 Kudos

I do!!!  I've had my nook for 9 months and I LOVE it!!!

Reader 4
doghause2010
0 Kudos

i just love my classic nook that i got for christmas.  i am fortyish and just started needing bifocals with my contact lenses.  the nook is so easy on the eyes.  i am re-reading anne of green gables.  and have a few more books to read.

Contributor
OneTimeUser
0 Kudos

lindajm22 wrote:

I bought my Nook 3g/wi-fi a few months ago and I absolutely love it.  It has worked perfectly with no problems whatsoever right out of the box.  If I forget to put it in my purse before I leave the house I am starting to feel the same as if I forgot my Blackberry, or my pants :smileyvery-happy:

I do feel bad for all the folks who are having so much trouble with theirs, especially those who are frustrated trying to hook it up to their home wireless networks.  I am lucky to have the knowledge to be able to configure my wireless network with my eyes closed so it was no problem for me, but to be honest, if I didn't know how I would certainly get someone to help me, whether it is a family member or friend, or paying the Geek Squad or some service.  I mean, if I received a remote car starter for Christmas I certainly wouldn't attempt to install it myself because I don't know how.  And if I did try to do it myself and I couldn't get it to work I wouldn't blame the product.  So if you know absolutely zero about your wireless network you may not want to try to hook it up yourself.  There are just too many variables and options in the router settings and one wrong choice will foul up the whole thing.

Anyway, I love mine and I can't believe how much more I have been reading since buying it.

I don't love my Nook, yet; I like it and would love to love it again.  I had a Nook which was stolen and got a new one for Christmas.  I do know how to configure a wireless router (It's my job unfortunately) and I have a couple of devices successfully working with mine at home, and my stolen Nook used to work with it as well.  My new Nook does not so I can't download anything using WiFi ( I can sideload new books, but this is somewhat limiting).  The new Nook claims it is connected to my home wireless network and even reports a correct IP address; but if I try to shop or use the Web app it always reports no connectivity.  If there is some secret to getting a Nook to work with a wireless router it isn't in any of the user guides or FAQs and is new since my old Nook purchased last March.

New User
Annoyed
0 Kudos

Sounds like you have encryption on your wifi network and haven't added the Nook. That gives the situation you describe - seen but not permitted access
Not really annoyed but I like to keep em guessing
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

OneTimeUser wrote:
My new Nook does not so I can't download anything using WiFi ( I can sideload new books, but this is somewhat limiting).  The new Nook claims it is connected to my home wireless network and even reports a correct IP address; but if I try to shop or use the Web app it always reports no connectivity.  If there is some secret to getting a Nook to work with a wireless router it isn't in any of the user guides or FAQs and is new since my old Nook purchased last March.

This thread might help you.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Configuring-various-Wi-Fi-routers-plea...

Frequent Contributor
rovingspinster603
0 Kudos

Got my Nook about two months ago.  Took a few minutes to get it and my wireless to talk to each other, but I did figure it out and I'm so tech challanged it's pathetic.  Biggest problem is that is so EASY to get books from B&N that it is costing me a fortune and there are tooooo many books and not enough time. Love it sooo much I am thinking of adding the NC if I can figure out how to afford it and explain why I need another one to my husband. 

Contributor
JBugIN
0 Kudos

LOVE my nook! My husband asked me if I take it everywhere with me. YES!!

I got it for Christmas and I think it's my favorite gift ever.

If you want to customize the look of your nook check out the skins and matching wallpapers at www.decalgirl.com.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

I loved my Nook when I first opened it on Christmas day!  Then I started having problems with my home wireless internet.  I continued to love it but I was frustrated and angry with it too.  Now I have resolved my connection issues and am head over heels in love.  I have bought books and downloaded free ones from all over the internet.  I have downloaded books from my library and the complete works of Sherlock Holmes from Gutenberg.  It is the best gadget ever!!  I know that I will love it more and more as time goes on.

Correspondent
ladymis
0 Kudos

My husband had made a half-serious suggestion about eReaders to me over the summer.  So, I did my research and looked at Kindle, Nook and Sony, even checking out different items in stores, when I could.  Despite having some friends with Kindles, when all was said and done, I went with Nook (and another friend of mine, who was also wanting an eReader, but already knew she didn't want Kindle, went with Nook based on my research :smileywink:)

I absolutely love my Nook.  I don't think I've even picked up a physical book since I got it, and I've been slowly adding books in my physical library to my wish-list so that they can eventually be replaced with the eBook version.

I love all the features Nook offers, and I can't honestly think of any downsides.  I've "sold" so many at my work, B&N should give me a commission! :smileywink:

Contributor
ABramlett
0 Kudos

I DO!  I bought my Nook on October 12, 2010 and it hasn't been more than five feet away from me since then.  I carry it with me everywhere.  When I was looking for a new handbag during the holidays, it had to fit my Nook.  Love, love, love my Nook!

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

I LOVE Piccolo e Saggio Amico.  He was the perfect travel companion during a 16 day trip to Europe last Nov.  (We spent several days in Italy, of course!)  We are seen together at many places and my friends (and even curious strangers) ask about him--what we are reading?--often.

I love all the facets of Saggio's personality--even the (idea of) the Daily, which I would love to see revitalized with content from the B&N Review. Hint HINT HINT:smileywink:

He is my friend, my amico.  If he has problems, I will come to these boards and try to find answers to help him.  I don't think I could ever trash talk about my friend.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
seescribe
0 Kudos

I just received my nookcolor for christmas.  I orginally was reading on my PC and laptop.  I was so into that I was given one for christmas.  I'm like so many that have replied positively.  I keep it close to me.  I carry it everywhere I go.  I have had some minor issues with a few books not working, which I hope to get resolved since I paid for them, but that has no bearing on the fact that i just can't see myself parting with it.  I hope to see some minor enhancements, like being able to take independent notes outside of a book, the ability of the browser to update flash so I can watch videos (if it can do it, I don't know how yet).  Considering it is built on a platform that has that expansion ability, I'm sure B&N is looking at all the potential.  I don't want it to try to become a tablet, but just stay focussed around what a reader would be interested in.  Other than that, I mostly read with it, which I believe is its primary function.  I'm in the middle of so many books and it keeps my spot.  Now when I travel I don't need a separate bag just to carry all my books.  I think this has increased how fast I get through a book and how many books I read at one time.  I think it is great.  I also find that I am buying more books in a shorter period of time than I used to (good for B&N).