Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
nekowafer
0 Kudos

Re: Who bought the extended warrantee?

I bought the warranty from SquareTrade. I generally don't get them - not even on my laptop or fancy TVs - but this is a first-gen device. It could just decide one day not to turn on, because of bugs that haven't even been noticed yet. I'd rather protect myself from having to buy a new device. Plus the ST warranty was pretty cheap.

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

I bought it. I am clumsy and I could just see me dropping it.  But that's also the reason I bought the cover too.

Frequent Contributor
100kgs
0 Kudos

In the past 10 years, I bought an extended warranty once for car subwoofers.  It was quite cheap and I actually did use it before the store went out of business.  I bought it because it was so cheap and that since they would be in my car, the extreme heat and cold of the seasons would be something I couldn't prevent.

But no, I didn't buy it for the Nook nor my cell phones.  I take very good care of my stuff and some would say I value them over human life.  I plead the fifth.

"Not that I have anything against senseless violence, manling, but why are you strangling that old man?" - Gotrek Gurnisson
Inspired Correspondent
LEChakan
0 Kudos

Everything is relative.  Were I to break my Nook, I'd want to replace it and would have to part with more very hard-earned money.  For me, the warrantee is worth it.

I looked into both the B&N warranty, and also the Squaretrade warranty.  Ultimately, I went with Squaretrade.  I've used them for other electronics, and have always found them terrific to work with, and fast to resolve issues.

The thing I like about Squaretrade is that they will either: a) repair the unit, or b) send you the cash you paid for the unit.  The reality is that the Nook is so inexpensive that repair isn't cost-effective and they're just sending you the money when you send them the broken Nook.

I'd far rather take that money and buy a new unit than have my broken one replaced with a refurbished Nook.

Whether you go with B&N or a place like Squaretrade, you should do fine.

L

Contributor
Blades
0 Kudos

I did with electronics anything can happen. I have to protect my investment. Now if I knew that my Nook was assembled on a Wednesday maybe not, it was the right thing to do.

"Too many books....not enough Time"
Correspondent
chefclaire
0 Kudos

I got the nook as a gift back in May, so couldn't get the nook warranty, but luckily the fine people here pointed out SquareTrade and a coupon so I paid about $30 for my 3 yr warranty. And I got a coupon code for 50% off my next warranty with them so I paid even less for the warranty on my son's wifi only nook that his dad let him buy (I said no, but he used his own money). I'm a bit klutzy, so the $ was worth the peace of mind.  I would have had a hard time paying the $$ for the B&N one.

Reader 2
Luvs2truck
0 Kudos

I bought the extended warranty and was very glad I did.  Just 6 days after purchasing my much loved Nook, it squirted out of my hands and onto the floor.  It didn't completely break but it did mess up the screen in the bottom left corner.  Barnes and Noble cheerfully replaced NookNook free of charge.  Gotta love that!

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

Luvs2truck wrote:

I bought the extended warranty and was very glad I did.  Just 6 days after purchasing my much loved Nook, it squirted out of my hands and onto the floor.  It didn't completely break but it did mess up the screen in the bottom left corner.  Barnes and Noble cheerfully replaced NookNook free of charge.  Gotta love that!

And that my dear was a great reason to get the extended warranty

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

I didn't have enough to get the extended warranty and I seriously wish I did. I tried going back later and asking if I could but B&N employees said no and I have to get the warranty when I buy the nook. :-/ 

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

I spoke with some people at my local Barnes & Noble about that too, they said currently the company is working on it so that you can get it later, but right now you cannot.

It sucks...but hopefully in the near future you can get one later.

Correspondent
chefclaire
0 Kudos

Jadjuka wrote:

I didn't have enough to get the extended warranty and I seriously wish I did. I tried going back later and asking if I could but B&N employees said no and I have to get the warranty when I buy the nook. :-/ 

www.squaretrade.com  coupon code twtyoff I think is still valid.

New User
TikiDoll
0 Kudos

I do NOT recommend the "extended warranty."  Here's my tale:

I seem to have developed "the crack problem" (a break in the case at the page turner button) much later than everyone else.  I purchased my Nook in February 2010, and the crack first appeared in October 2011.  Though I did buy the "extended warranty,"  Barnes and Noble will not honor it.  They have noted on my claim that the damage is due to user error. 

Not only did they send a "refurbished" Nook.  They sent one that was WiFi not my 3G model. And it arrived poorly packaged and a broken replacement.  Not to mention that as a refurbished replacement that means "used"-- which is to say this problem will occur again and sooner due to previous use before mine. 

Now I have the added frustration of sending "the replacement" back and start a claim with my credit card company to refuse the charges on the "replacement."  I DO NOT recommend spending any money on the "warranty".  Just expect the Nook to break shortly after the year on the manufacturer warranty (planned obsolescence period) and then toss it as another disposable device cluttering our planet with hazardous waste.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TikiDoll wrote:

I seem to have developed "the crack problem" (a break in the case at the page turner button) much later than everyone else.  I purchased my Nook in February 2010, and the crack first appeared in October 2011.  Though I did buy the "extended warranty,"  Barnes and Noble will not honor it.  They have noted on my claim that the damage is due to user error. 

Not only did they send a "refurbished" Nook.  They sent one that was WiFi not my 3G model. And it arrived poorly packaged and a broken replacement.  Not to mention that as a refurbished replacement that means "used"-- which is to say this problem will occur again and sooner due to previous use before mine. 

Now I have the added frustration of sending "the replacement" back and start a claim with my credit card company to refuse the charges on the "replacement."  I DO NOT recommend spending any money on the "warranty".  Just expect the Nook to break shortly after the year on the manufacturer warranty (planned obsolescence period) and then toss it as another disposable device cluttering our planet with hazardous waste.

You are not talking to the right person. The extended warranty is for any kind of damage, you could run over it in your car and they have to honor it. either take it to an actual store or call customer service and tell them you want to speak to a represenative in the US. 

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

TikiDoll wrote:

If you read the fine print in the BN exteneded warranty they will replace with a refurbed unit.  THey probably sent you a wi-fi only one because they didn't have any with 3G.  The cracked bezel should definitely be covered (I got mine exchanged in store after speaking to the manager and advising them that it was actually a manufacturing defect, I also referenced these boards and all the threads on the defect).  Try calling them back and speak to someone else, is it possible they though you only have the 1 yr standard warranty?  I have read in a few places that some of the original nooks are being replaced under warranty with the NST's since they are starting to run out of the originals.  I know that won't help you if you really need the 3G access for the store but at least it will be a model that so far has no issues with the bezel cracking (that I have heard about at least).

Frequent Contributor
bikechuck
0 Kudos

I went with the Sq Trade warranty.  So far so good I have never had a problem with my 18 month old Nook

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

@bikechuck,

If I may ask, how much did you pay for your warrantee from Squaretrade? 

Thanks

Lector GS
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

LectorGS wrote:

@bikechuck,

If I may ask, how much did you pay for your warrantee from Squaretrade? 

Thanks

I bought my Square Trade warranty in Feb 2010 paid $40 for 3 years. Nook purchase price was $259

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

@ProfReader,

Thanks for the information.  I  hope Square Trade still has the same price you paid a year ago. 

Thanks

Lector GS