Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
LaFortuna
0 Kudos

Who determines sample sizes?

I really appreciate the ability to download book samples, but wonder why some of them are so short as to be non-existent. A Michael Pollan sample included exactly zero pages--just the title pages, TOC, etc. A Mercedes Lackey sample was a single page. In other words, useless.

Other samples are lengthy [e.g.,, Henrietta Lacks, The Big Short] and motivated me to buy the book.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Re: Who determines sample sizes?

The publisher controls the samples.

Fran

Frequent Contributor
eserafina42
0 Kudos

Interesting, since the ones that really drive me nuts are the B&N classics. The samples I've gotten have almost always cut off in the middle of the introduction, so I don't have any chance to sample, you know, the actual book I'm thinking of buying. I assume that B&N, somehow, has a say over that type of thing. I would rather read the first several pages of the book without the introduction, if I had to choose.

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech

[ Edited ]

Intellectually disabled monkeys determine the sample size.  They randomly roll two six-sided dice and then punch in the number of pages.  Mostly this includes just the introductory junk and no actual sample of the work in question.

Would be nice if the samples actually did include some of the book itself... you know.. to.. .erm... uh... sample.

and while on the subject, let samples be permanently deleted from the nook itself thankyouadminswhoforwardthesesuggestions.  Nobody wants to keep them.

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Contributor
JewelDragon
0 Kudos

Finally a comprehensible response.  :smileytongue:

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

eserafina42 wrote:

Interesting, since the ones that really drive me nuts are the B&N classics. The samples I've gotten have almost always cut off in the middle of the introduction, so I don't have any chance to sample, you know, the actual book I'm thinking of buying. I assume that B&N, somehow, has a say over that type of thing. I would rather read the first several pages of the book without the introduction, if I had to choose.

For the B&N Classics, the actual books themselves are in the public domain.  You can find the text of those all over the place for free.  The supplemental material is what you are really buying in that case.

In general, I do agree that samples can be ridiculous.  You can either take a chance or, if possible, try Read-in-Store.

Reader
888rkw888
0 Kudos

I've heard that the publisher's are responsible for the sample sizes as well, however if that is the case, you would assume that the sample length would then be universal for all eBook sellers. I have found that often I am able to sample a much larger portion of any book through other sellers of eBooks, so I don't think that blaming the publishers for the short samples is accurate. B&N, please fix this as I do love my nook readers and would hope that your company will still be around to offer support for my devices.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

lkmiller wrote:

eserafina42 wrote:

For the B&N Classics, the actual books themselves are in the public domain.  You can find the text of those all over the place for free.  The supplemental material is what you are really buying in that case.

In general, I do agree that samples can be ridiculous.  You can either take a chance or, if possible, try Read-in-Store.

Unfortunately many of the free and low price public domain books have numerous uncorrected errors (no or ineffective proofreading after automated character recognition) or are nothing more than series of page images of a print copy (no ability to change font size or type, no highlighting).