Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CAnook
0 Kudos

Re: Why DIDN'T you buy a Nook Color and stay with the Classic Nook?

I just bought my nook the other day. I saw the nook color and the regular nook. I liked the black and white regular nook better than the nook color. The color nook was too shiny.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

The only thing holding me back is the LCD screen.  

If it were some other technology (and I understand why it wasn't, I'm not trying to bring that argument back) I probably would have pre-ordered.  I'm still considering it as a celebratory gift to myself when I finally go back to work, even with the LCD screen.

I want my ereader to give me a good reading experience.  My e-ink NOOK does that.  That doesn't mean I'm averse to the device being able to do other things as well.  IF I can comfortably read, I'd be thrilled to have the ability to check email, social networking, view photographs in color et al...  I might now only read in black and white, but that doesn't mean I might never read a novel with color illustrations...

First and foremost it has to provide a good reading experience, and even with good reviews and some in-store demo, I'm not 100% sold on it being a good reading experience, for me.  (I'm migraine prone, sensitive to LCD screens and even had half of the fluorescent lighting removed from my previous office.)

(I rarely use my Blackberry for web based functions.  I find it too small of a screen to comfortably view webpages and I don't play any games on it.  I find it too frustrating.  That could be a function of the Storm vs. other smartphones, but since I don't habitually use my phone for the additional features of the NOOKColor, I would welcome the NOOKColor's enhancements as long as reading the reading experience wasn't compromised.)

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

I was attracted to it when I first saw it because it's shiny.  I love shiny.  :smileyvery-happy:  But I have no need for it.  I am quite happy reading my paper books and on my NOOK Classic.  I love that my NOOK mimics the paper pages I've been reading all my life.  Ultimately, all the things that I would like to use a NC for besides reading can be done with my Droid X phone with its 4.3 inch screen.  And it already has Flash.
I recently thought about buying a NC because of NOOK Kids, but then decided that $249 is way too much money for a toy that my 4- and 3-year olds will only be able to play with when I am sitting with them and holding on to it.

Ya_Ya wrote:

(I rarely use my Blackberry for web based functions.  I find it too small of a screen to comfortably view webpages and I don't play any games on it.  I find it too frustrating.  That could be a function of the Storm vs. other smartphones, but since I don't habitually use my phone for the additional features of the NOOKColor, I would welcome the NOOKColor's enhancements as long as reading the reading experience wasn't compromised.)

I got rid of my BB Storm for my Droid X and I can tell you that the experience is incomparable.  My Droid is a pleasure to read on using the NOOK app and I can easily browse the web and read full web pages without needing to resort to mobile sites.  The screen is crystal clear and the colors are gorgeous.  I often forget I'm holding a phone when watching videos on it or playing video games.  Trying to do anything on the Storm was painful and I had no idea how great an experience it all could be until I got rid of it and got my Droid.  Of course, some people don't like how big the phone I have now is.  It's much larger than the Storm.

B&N Bookseller
Abbi_S
0 Kudos

e-ink, and the small touch screen drives me crazy with smudges.  I cannot comprehend a full sized smudge-fest.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:

Trying to do anything on the Storm was painful and I had no idea how great an experience it all could be until I got rid of it and got my Droid.  Of course, some people don't like how big the phone I have now is.  It's much larger than the Storm.

Our contract is up at the end of February.  We're definitely not going Blackberry again so, maybe I'll dislike it less (even like it!) with whatever we get next.  I'm eyeing up two different android phones but my husband wants an iPhone, assuming that it comes to Verizon in January.  Generally the Verizon deals say you have to have the same phone to get the best discount.  I usually give in, because, frankly it's just easier, and if I can make a phone call and send a text, that's the extent of what I really want to do with my phone...

Contributor
mentalsolstice
0 Kudos

Not interested in nookColor because I read novels...black ink on a white or ivory page. I can understand the interest in NC, however, I hope B&N will continue to cater to consumers like me who like simple B&W.

Frequent Contributor
robodojo
0 Kudos

I like them both, but I have to say, I find the "glare" on the nookcolor to be less noticable than on the classic nook in all but outdoor lighting. I think the lcd backlighting cancels out most indoor glare.

And, keep in mind, you can reduce the brightness of the backlight to a point where it almost--almost--mimics the classic nook, appearance-wise. I find it easier to read novels on the nookcolor. But I also think that if you already have the nook classic, and seldom need to read in low-light situations, or have little desire to read magazines or surf the old web, you should stay right where you are.

The classic nook is pretty great, too.

Contributor
Anne-Muir
0 Kudos

I have pretty much the same reasons for not getting a NookColor as many others do. I bought my and am keeping my Nook (Wifi & 3G) because, first and foremost, I wanted an ereader. I love the e-ink display for reading and I don't want to read at length on an LCD. I use my iPod Touch for apps and a few games. I don't mind that my Nook as a few extras, like a couple games and a limited web browser. I have found my Nook's browser rather useful in a few instances but I still like it as primarily, an e-reader.

Also, the short battery life on the NookColor just wouldn't work for how much I read on any given day. Add that you can't even change the battery. I know I can't change the battery on my iPod either but I can live with that, for what I use it for. I rather like that I can change and use a back-up battery on my Nook.

Maybe in time, I'll add a NC to my Nook family. I think using the NC for magazines and kid's books is pretty neat but I don't really have need to use a NC right now. I see the Nook and NookColor as two seperate things that serve different needs. My Nook fills my reading needs that the NC could not right now.

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

I Nook Color is an in-between tablet.  It doesn't have all the functionality I want in a tablet and sacrifices readability in sunlight.

I won't get a tablet until a Pixel Qi (or some other technology like it) is used as the display.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

IF I were to buy a NOOKCOLOR, it would not be INSTEAD of my NOOK because it could not replace my Nook's main function which is to read black and white ebooks, anywhere, anytime.

IF I were to buy a NOOKCOLOR, it would be in ADDITION to my NOOK, to further enhance my reading experiences to include magazines, and other books that require color for full impact and enjoyment of the material.

Two different gadgets for 2 different markets so the only reason to choose one or the other is the type of reading material that I would use on it.  

Frequent Contributor
asgalbraith
0 Kudos

I am perfectly content with my Nook and do not like the LCD screen of the Nook Color. I can wait the year or two or even three for the e-ink color screen.  Until then, I am just enjoying my Nook as it is.

Contributor
ibdave
0 Kudos

reviews re screen readability favour classic

price

color advantages seem to be around photos, games, kids books - no appeal for me

can't see the advantage of a device between laptops and ereader

easy to use

easy to read outside

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

I REALLY LIKED the NOOKColor when I played with it at my local B&N store. So why didn't I buy it?

I'm a descendant of those thrifty Scotts, that's why!  :smileyvery-happy:

I added up the total cost of the books on my NOOKbook wish list and realized that I could almost purchase my entire list--without waiting for any of them to drop below $10--for the cost of the new device.  So I came home and rewarded my practicality with the purchase of three books from my list! 

Frequent Contributor
lorabele
0 Kudos

I'm cheap!  I got the Nook to read books, and that's all I do.  I don't want it cluttered with a bunch of other things that complicate my reading experience.  I want to turn it on, read, and turn it off.  Simple.

I read magazines and newspapers online for free, and I don't want them on my Nook. 

I have a perfectly good book light that I can use when necessary, and I don't want a device that has backlighting. 

I love my Nook, had it almost a year now, and I'll keep it until it dies.  If I decide I want more, I'm more prone to go with the IPAD rather than the Color Nook.

Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

Perhaps when you can get at least 4 days on a single battery charge I would be tempted to buy a color nook. Until then, I am happy with the nook classic.

Inspired Correspondent
Mupples
0 Kudos

I bought mine when it was still $249 (March-Aprilish) and it hasn't even been a year yet. I know it's valued at less but I can't see chucking it when it does what I need it to do.