Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
cprdo
0 Kudos

Why Does the Nook Freeze?

I am new to the Nook.  Originally, I bought the Sony Daily edition but did not like the glare.  I love all the features of the Nook and have no intention of getting rid of it.  I just got it 3 days ago.  The clarity is excellent.  However, I noticed that it freezes on me from time to time.  It is entirely random.  Sometimes while downloading.  Sometimes while turning the pages.  Anyway, I looked on the boards here and found this is a common problem.  I also learned how to turn it off and reset it.  It seems to me this should be addressed in the future by Barnes and Noble.  However, just curious . . . does anyone know if this is a hardware issue or is it a software issue?  Also, has anyone heard about whether there is a fix in the works?  It is irritating when it happens.    However, I think the screen clarity is superb and beats the Sony Daily Edition.  However, this never occurred with the Sony (not even once) and was wondering why it is happening in the first place with the Nook.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for the input!

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Re: Why Does the Nook Freeze?

[ Edited ]

I personally think that it is not always really "freezing".

I think the processor is a little weak and will occasionaly get overloaded when attempting too many tasks too quickly.   I've also had my nook hang for a little bit when attempting to make a network connection on a noisy wi-fi or 3G netwok.

I think that sometimes when this happens people over react and start pushing and pressing random buttons attempting to "fix" it and end up causing to to overload more and occasionally crash.

When my nook "freezes" or "locks-up" I push no more buttons.  I simply put it down and then check on it a few minutes later.  About 95% of the time this works for me.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

Maybe mine like me or my airport.. I have no idea. Mine doesn't freeze.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest

cprdo wrote:

I am new to the Nook.  I noticed that it freezes on me from time to time.  It is entirely random.   . . . does anyone know if this is a hardware issue or is it a software issue?  Any thoughts?

Mine froze just once, when it was new and the battery was fairly low.  So I don't have extensive experience with this but I have read a bazillion threads on this and have come to the conclusion that there are perhaps four types of freezes (not including the few random, unexplained).

1.  Firmware (earlier release).  There were problems that were addressed with the v1.2 upgrade.  Make sure you have the latest firmware.

2.  Battery doesn't fit properly.  I believe this may have been a temporary quality control problem for reasons I won't spend time on.  But if you experiece frequent, random freezes, do a search for "battery shim".

3.  Low battery combined with wifi/3G.  If the battery is low and you put a demand on it, it seems like it will just quit and wait for you to recharge.  (This was the problem with mine the one time it froze.  I now do not do any wifi/3G if the battery is below +/- 20%.)

Incidently, about this problem, some confusion also stems from the fact that when you plug it in, it may not respond for up to 15 minutes until the charge comes back up to an acceptable level.  So if you run the battery down and it freezes, plug it in and leave it alone for at least 15 minutes.

4.  Alluding back to what Slaughter said, sometimes the nook takes its sweet time changing states (going to a new page from the menu, turning on or off modes, etc, and even formatting pages such as with new chapters.  If you start tapping, clicking, etc, when there is delay it is possible that the software gets confused and just stops or loops. 

I personally feel this may be the most common reason for freezes and the hold the reset button for 20-seconds, release and briefly press again should fix this.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook for a few weeks now, have taken it to Mexico and have read quite a few books.  It has not frozen on me yet.  I guess so far I've just been lucky.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
Accio
0 Kudos

I agree with what the others said....

To avoid freezing in general, just remember to be patient. Wait for your nook to load. You can definitely resist pressing any buttons for a second or two. 

I actually find that when other people want to look at my nook, that's when it usually freezes. They don't wait for the processor to load like I usually do and just keep pressing buttons until it freezes. Now I try to refrain from others touching it. I find restarting a pain.

If it does freeze, waiting for it to unfreeze usually doesn't work for me... But maybe I'm just impatient? i will make note to try it out next time.

Correspondent
rfruth
0 Kudos

Just a few hangs here but I'll give it a couple minutes next time for it to recover :smileyhappy: 

N1E - HD+ soon ?
Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe
0 Kudos

The battery contacts are not spring loaded so it can be really easy to break the circuit when it gets bumped.  It was driving me crazy until I took a think piece of paper and wedged it along the top edge of the batter on the opposite side from where the contacts are.  

I just cut a small square of paper and bent it in half.  I removed the back of the Nook and removed the screw holding in the battery in then put the paper just to the left of where the screw mount is.  This makes the battery seat tighter and I haven't had a freeze happen since.  

You'll need to use a fairly heavy stock or fold over a regular piece.  

Don't Panic
New User
jsize
0 Kudos

Please tell me how to reset, been frozen 10 hrs , fully charged,stuck on "opening book"

cprdo wrote:

I am new to the Nook.  Originally, I bought the Sony Daily edition but did not like the glare.  I love all the features of the Nook and have no intention of getting rid of it.  I just got it 3 days ago.  The clarity is excellent.  However, I noticed that it freezes on me from time to time.  It is entirely random.  Sometimes while downloading.  Sometimes while turning the pages.  Anyway, I looked on the boards here and found this is a common problem.  I also learned how to turn it off and reset it.  It seems to me this should be addressed in the future by Barnes and Noble.  However, just curious . . . does anyone know if this is a hardware issue or is it a software issue?  Also, has anyone heard about whether there is a fix in the works?  It is irritating when it happens.    However, I think the screen clarity is superb and beats the Sony Daily Edition.  However, this never occurred with the Sony (not even once) and was wondering why it is happening in the first place with the Nook.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for the input!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@jsize,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

Try these steps, one at a time to get your nook fully functioning again:

1.  Press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds and then release.  Then press it again for about 4 seconds to power up your nook. 

2.  The battery on your nook may be completely drained. Connect your nook to a wall outlet using the nook AC-Adapter and charge your nook for at least 2 hours.  In some cases, re-charging may require the following steps below:

-Unplug the nook.

-Remove the battery (if you don't know how, I have attached a video page on how to remove the battery: 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE&cds2Pid=30195#vid3

-The Nook should begin to go through its booting process.  Once booted, replace the battery (don't turn the nook off or unplug) and charge your nook for at least 2 hours.   

If you are unable to access your eBooks, you may want to go to your eBooks library online at BN.com and archive and then unarchive the eBooks in question.  Then on your nook, check for new content and see if you still receive the same message. 

There also may be an issue with your log in info. You may want to double check your account online to make sure you have a default payment and billing address set up.  Sometimes retyping your credit card number helps.  Also, if you have a middle initial in your billing info, try taking that out.  

If you are still having any problems with your nook, please call Customer Service to help troubleshoot your unit. You may call toll-free in the United States at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and ask for Digital Support.  

Contributor
jon-the-elder
0 Kudos

Yup...Me too.  I have to subscribe to the "Too-much-to-soon" theory. Nearly all my "Freeze-ups"  have taken place when I pressed a second operation button, too soon after the first one at start-up.

My general solution is to press and hold the "On/Off" button to completely shut down the Nook.  This has worked every time so far.  If I can learn to have a bit more patience when starting up a large volume, things will be just fine.

Every device has it's little quirks and this seems to be one for the Nook.

"As in music, so in life"
Frequent Contributor
aztec506
0 Kudos

One of the reasons it will freeze - if you are at the fringe area of your wireless and have you nook wireless turned it and you are trying to download something it can freeze up. Have to do a hard boot to resolve it. I finally figured this out and leave the wireless off most of the time unless I'm checking for new content. If I do, then I make sure I'm close to the wireless access point.
Frequent Contributor
Jamie19
0 Kudos

Have you tried holding the button on top until it goes completly blank? It works for me.