Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Why I would not buy a nook

bc320 wrote:

I would argue that I am not pushing the limits of the nook.  I have 94% or the main memory free and 89% of the sd card free.  I would understand if I had less then 10% free.  Furthermore, deleting a specific file does not change the fact that sometimes I have to reset.  I believe the issue lies in the the software used in accessing the sd card.

Undoubtedly the issue is with the software, or rather, how the software and your files interact.  I keep coming back to the fact that you've loaded three thousand books onto that card:  unless you've been sorting files all day, every day since Christmas, there's no way you could even tell which files -- there are almost certainly more than one -- are messing you up.  So you don't have any way of knowing (I wouldn't either, in your place) how deleting the offending files might or might not improve your situation.

bc320 wrote:

I also believe it is a deliberate fault in the software the that will not allow access to the metadata of a file.  I believe this is done to make people want to buy their books from BN instead of side loading them.

Different people have different hot buttons, and this is not one of mine.  But I don't think that anyone here would disagree with you that the bare-bones treatment given to My Documents as compared with My B&N Library is a deliberate characteristic of the software, almost certainly intended to benefit B&N purchases as compared with purchases from other sources.
So what?  It's a B&N device, B&N sells eBooks, and naturally B&N wants to benefit its own eBook sales.  In fact, Nook almost certainly exists so that B&N can sell more eBooks.  The market leader solved the other-source problem by adopting a proprietary format that makes obtaining eBooks from other sources virtually impossible.  Compared to that, B&N's approach is customer friendly, almost enlightened, even.
This all started with your statement that you wouldn't buy a Nook.  If B&N's treatment of eBooks from other sources is such a sore point, then Kindle clearly is not for you either.  So, out of curiosity, what would you buy?

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bc320 wrote:

I believe this is done to make people want to buy their books from BN instead of side loading them.

B&N has absolutely no reason to try and keep you from reading books from other sources.

You said you use Calibre, so why don't you have access to metadata? Learn how to use Calibre. And you can eject both the device and card from within Calibre very well.

Did you format the card in the nook before adding files to it? You may also have one or more bad files.

The question is whether or not you are willing to go through all of your files to determine which one or ones are corrupted. Or is it just easier to lay blame elsewhere?

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
  • I've had a nook since Christmas 09.  I paid $300 for it used with a cover and drove 150 miles to get it because I was impatient.
  • I put an 8 or 16 card in it that I got at Best Buy in it.  No problems.
  • .The lack of info on My Documents books doesn't bother me.  I'm glad to be able to get books from other places.
  • Bezel has not cracked, but I'm prepared to either get a skin or use duct tape for that.
  • Yes, the music player could be better, I've got a MP3 player for that.
  • As a bonus, I can play sudoku.
  • I don't mind the user manual being online.  It keeps the paper down.  We probably have user manuals aound here for items we don't even own.

No e-reader is going to have all the features everyone wants.

The OP might consider getting a different SD card .  Also make sure it's locked in correctly.  Otherwise, if it's not reading it correctly, you might consider taking your nook to the store to see if they'll replacee it.

Reader 2
LiziQOE
0 Kudos

I think you're placing false blame.  You need to check out Calibre and your sd card first.  It sounds like Calibre may be at fault for not properly loading the metadata.  Also, what kind of sd card do you have?  What brand?  A cheap, old, or poor-quality card will cause problems.

One more thing.  Is there a statement somewhere saying that the Nook is completely compatible with Calibre?  If not, I don't see why you're mad at your Nook.

Nobody is perfect - not even your Nook.
Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

The problem may lie with the quality of the SD card or one or more of the files, but when I read that leaving the nook connected until the computer was shut down helped avoid problems it made me think that the problem could be with the PC itself.  What operating system are you using?  The OS may be keeping a trying to keep a reference to card despite ejecting.

Contributor
bc320
0 Kudos

I love this.  I find it very interesting that I am belittled due to my opinion of the nook.  Like I posted earlier, I wish someone would have told me of these issues (at least the one of no access to the metadata) while I was looking.  I understand I may be placing too much of a demand or have too high expectations of my Nook.  I had those going in. If someone else is looking to purchase a Nook and come here for research, what is wrong with someone having the opinion that the Nook is not a very good device?  As I posted earlier, I am not trying to insult those of you who like your Nook. We each have different demands and expectations of the products we own. Mine are just not very compatible with the  Nook.

Contributor
bc320
0 Kudos

It occurred to me after my last post that maybe someone here can assist me.  If I am doing something wrong or using the wrong programs, let me know how to do this correctly.  I wish to have complete access to the metatdata of the books that I sideload. This means when I sideload a book to either the card or main memory I want to be able to click on the "info" button get get the synopsis of the book.  This would be just like I got the book from BN.  How do I do this without rooting the Nook?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

bc320 wrote:

I wish to have complete access to the metatdata of the books that I sideload. This means when I sideload a book to either the card or main memory I want to be able to click on the "info" button get get the synopsis of the book.  This would be just like I got the book from BN.  How do I do this without rooting the Nook?

You can't.  If this is a dealbreaker for you, you have the wrong device, fullstop.

For the record, I see nowhere that B&N ever implied that their device, sold to increase their own ebook sales, would treat non-B&N content exactly like B&N content.

jamartMF
0 Kudos

I have actually seen several people, myself included, give you some good pointers to help you have a better experience.  But you choose to ignore them or acknowledge them.  As for your metadata you do not always get what you want (as I tell my children).  That is a perk to getting a B&N purchase/free book.  It is also not the products fault if you try to get it to do more than, you think, it can do.  It is not a full blown computer with endless memory and speed.

Here is one thought, Is it possible to paste the synopsis into the 1st pgs of each document before you move it from Calibre?  Otherwise your own solution to put in a separate document is all I can think of.

Contributor
bc320
0 Kudos

jamartMF wrote:

I have actually seen several people, myself included, give you some good pointers to help you have a better experience.  But you choose to ignore them or acknowledge them. 

I have not chose to ignore them.  I just did not comment on them.  Removing the SD card and putting fewer books on the main memory would solve all my card issues.  I understand that.  As I have said before I do not wish to do this.  I will suffer with my discontent in order to have a large and ever increasing library.  I just wish I had known the issues before I purchased the SD card. Had I, I may not have added the extra memory. I want others to understand so that they too may not waste their money on an SD card.

jamartMF wrote:

It is also not the products fault if you try to get it to do more than, you think, it can do.  It is not a full blown computer with endless memory and speed.

Again, I agree I am pushing my expectations of the Nook.  And again I wish I knew the limitations of this product.  While mine was a gift (due to that I have no intent or cash to replace it something else) I wish to make it clear to everyone who may be looking at this device that this is a problem. It was never my intent to purchase many books from BN.  If I was looking to purchase a reader and knew I was not going to be buying the books from the reader's manufacture I would like to know exactly how said reader interacts with sideloaded or 3rd party books. 

This entire post has been, admittedly, somewhat of a rant and also a way for me to get my opinion (which differs from others here) out there.  I stress again, I do not wish to insult those of you that enjoy your nooks. But not everyone wants what you want.  And failure to identify a products flaws is annoying.  (I know why BN does not do this, I try to minimize product flaws in all the products I sell). 

Frequent Contributor
dave50

Hi, bc320.

Like you, I enjoy storing 3,000 books on my Nook Classic. I am writing a review of my experiences, but in the meantime perhaps some of my solutions may help reduce your frustration.

I have only an 8GB Transend Class 6 microSDHC card, and like you experienced apparent hanging at the "Checking for new content" notice after sideloading. Leaving the Nook to crank for an hour or two would sometimes allow it to complete, but if it didn't I'd power off and launch "Checking for new content" manually - which would crank for a couple of hours then finish. Not fun at all, particularly when I had deleted a duplicate file via the delete item option and it would re-index after each deletion.

I had created subdirectories on my card from the beginning, not because I'd hoped to organize my files but because from my MS-DOS days I remembered that FAT32 filesystems tended to "bog down" if you stored more than appx. 200 files in the root directory. That is the first thing I would recommend to any new Nook owner who adds memory - sideload to subdirectories only!

My unreasonable delays vanished when I scoured my Nook's subdirectories from my PC (sorting by file type) and removed all the unsupported file types which had snuck in during sideloading (some old Palm pdb files for example)! Once I had only epub and pdf files (along with jpg and gif images for wallpaper) my time to re-index 3,000 ebooks dropped to under a minute. Quite acceptable. Note that I frequently see only the Nook manuals listed after I eject the Nook drives until "Checking for new content" has completed.

I haven't benchmarked yet but the Class 6 Transend "feels" faster when transfering files than the internal storage.

Even though it's a pain installing the memory card (to the point where swapping cards is unrealistic) I'm grateful that the Nook supports it at all. The lack of expandable memory is the "deal killer" for me on the Kindle.

Anyway, to sum up I didn't even have to format my microSDHC card. I created subdirectories "pdf", "epub" and "my documents" (where I've stored an html file I yet hope to find via the browser!) and copied files directly from my PC (not using Calibre yet) to the subdirectories and my Nook Classic is very happy with 2,987 files (98% full).

Another tip - my eclectic collection of old Google Books pdf files display better if I crop the margins via a program called Briss (http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/). If I were starting over I wouldn't just dump my pdfs onto my Nook, I'd crop them first (where feasible).

HTH,

Dave Huber

Contributor
bc320
0 Kudos

when you are creating folders are you creating a bunch of them on the root directory or are you putting one inside the other.  For example, can I go Genre-author-series.  If I could do that, then it would be easier to organize them.  The Genre folder would have a few but the author folder would have over 200.  Should I add folders breaking the authors into alphabetical order?

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

After all your posts it looks to me like you are looking a gift horse in the mouth. Just be grateful you were given a Nook. I don't think any eBook reader will do what you are tiring to make it do.

Frequent Contributor
dave50
0 Kudos

Honestly, bc320, I came to the conclusion that while one level of subdirectories is vital (due to FAT32 filesystem performance), nesting subdirectories on the Nook is pointless. It would be nice if the Nook would at least automatically create Shelves using your deepest folder name and populate that shelf with that directory's content. But since 1.5 still flattens all subdirectories into one list it really doesn't matter. It probably doesn't hurt to nest subdirectories but I've limited mine to the highest level of abstraction - filetype (epub, pdf) or content (fiction, nonfiction) for example.

That said, before I even began loading content I created shelves on my Nook for the entire Dewey Decimal System as well as many Fiction - genre (e.g., "Fiction - Mystery") shelves - about 200 shelves altogether. Obsessive, I know - but I used to work in a library and it seemed natural to me! Of course, it will take a while to tag each title appropriately...

Frequent Contributor
dave50
0 Kudos

BTW, bc320, I mispoke earlier - my expansion card is 100% full at the moment (only 80MB free) and the actual book count is 2,912 (with guessing a hundred or so duplicate files) most of which are epub but the pdf files take up most of the space.

Anyway, My Documents does offer limited metadata support. I can go into the "Change View" option and sort by Author, Title or Most Recent. This requires re-indexing, which takes about 40 seconds. Interestingly, the Author sort is by (literally) last name - for example, I get neighboring entries of "Fallen Angels" (by Larry Niven) and "Webster's Dictionary 1913" (by Webster, Noah) while "The Style Book of the Detroit News" (by The Detroit News) is at the top of the page.

The "Most Recent" sort appears to group titles by date sideloaded if you also hide shelves. Of course, the title I'm "Reading Now" ("Through the Magic Door" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) shows up first under "Today"; I wonder if it would revert to sideload date if I began reading another title? Interesting - the book I just opened is also "Today" with "Through the Magic Door" below it as #2! This means the most recently read date is seeded from the sideload date but kept current when Opened. Very helpful!

For me, the only annoying fault (meaning no obvious reason) in the Nook Classic software is that swiping the blank touchscreen doesn't turn pages in the catalog views - it seems like it should work the same way as when actually reading.

SlaughterS

bc320 wrote:

...The reason for my post is not to upset those of you who like your nooks.....about the crappy job BN does with side loading books.  So I thought it would be nice for others who are looking into purchasing a Nook understand some of it's failings.

I'm surprised at your surpise.

Your title was, "Why I would not buy a nook" posted to a nook forum.  

It was not "How do I add 10,000 books to my e-reader", or , "When you add 10,000 books to an SD card and eject/re-insert it the nook takes a long time to index them".

Frankly, I'm amazed at the civil responses you have received (and wonder at your wasting your time posting in a forum about a device you would not buy)

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Or don't bother complaining about a problem that's not a problem for 99% of the people using the product.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

Well, yeah. :smileyvery-happy:

But if the OP had posted what turned out to be the real message:

"If you don't want to buy eBooks from Barnes & Noble, but you do want to load thousands of eBooks with variable digital characteristics from other sources onto your eReader, and have your device handle those files with all the bells and whistles that B&N provides for its own books, don't buy Nook because it doesn't do that."

then the only responses that we could have come up with would have been clever variations on

"Well, duuuuuuuuh!" :smileysurprised:

and we would have missed out on this cathartic discussion.  :smileytongue:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

After you sideloaded your books onto your sd card...did you properly eject it as well as your nook? And then ask it to look for new content while on the sd drive? They show up as two separate drives on your computer and each needs to be ejected. You didn't say if you did this or not, but I understand that the Nook might not be able to properly see and find new items if it wasn't properly ejected.

Having purchased a NookColor approximately one year after my Nook Classic and having to return my original Nook due to the dreaded cracked bezel last March, twice I've had to reinstall all of my ebooks, photos, etc. My experience was that the transfer went smoother when I didn't expect my Nooks to handle the whole thing at one time but broke it up into smaller loads.

Though my nook(s) were not always perfect, were a bit confusing and overwhelming to learn to use in the beginning, that has never been enough for me to regret having them. My joy at reading is stronger than ever and I can not imagine NOT having one ever again. I love my nooks, the classic AND the nookcolor!~