Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Re: Why did you choose "Nook" ?

I read. If I am idle for any period of time, I read. Having a nook to carry along with me means I can read a book instead of settling for reading whatever outdated and uninteresting piece of printed matter is at hand. Also, when i finish a book and I happen to be away from the house, I can purchase a new book and be reading it in seconds. I love my nook and carry it everywhere. So, portability would be my #1 reason for purchasing a nook.

As for improvements, the only one I can think of at the moment is doing something about the battery life. It would be nice to get the 10-day duty cycle that were promised in the literature prior to purchasing.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

I agree that better battery life would be nice, and also an Atlas would be handy.

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Frequent Contributor
Robert-J-Sawyer
0 Kudos

#1 reason for me:  ability to use my existing library of books in eReader format (from Fictionwise and eReader.com -- both of which are now Barnes & Noble companies).

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

I have been looking at E-readers for about a year. I decided it was time to buy one. I was at Best buy chking out the diff readers. They had a Nookcolor on display that was connected to thier WIFI. I used it to chk online for reviews and comparisons.

The Nookcolor was on backorder so I purchased the nook 3G/WIFI(Im an impulse buyer) and spent the night getting familiar. I did not like the way it interfaced with the internet so I started researching again. Then it dawned on me...the nookcolor I used at best buy had everything I needed in a reader and then some. I called BnN to see when I would be able to get one and the nook rep just happened to have one that was reserved but the cust cancelled. I jumped in the car, 20 mins later I was registerd and downloading books. No regrets(except the intermittent vanishing keyboard prob)

I have to add that my 14 yr old loves her early Xmas present (opted to give the reg nook to her)

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Correspondent
atlongster
0 Kudos

I got my NOOKcolor for three reasons:

• i like ebooks but didn't want to buy an iPad just for that.
  • I like B&N's selection (for me it wasn't Nook vs. Kindle but more B&N vs. Apple(iBooks sucks))
  • I don't really love Amazon's book discovery and experience.
  • I don't like how the Kindle looks, looks like some weird neo-futuristic gadget from the '80s with its little keyboard.

Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

I chose nook because kindle is the #1 ereader and bigger is NOT necessarrily better. I like the color touch screen and the sleek aerodynamic design. Nook was not perfect when it was released December 2009. However after update 1.5- the pages turns are now faster than the kindle3 (I tired the K3 at my local best buy store). Barnes and Noble is still in transition with the ebook business and I think things will only get better in the near future. The nook may cause for several brick and mortar stores to close down. THere will probably be only one BN store within 30 square miles. (There are 3 within a 25 mile radius where I live).The book selection is about the same between BN and Amazon. Sony was never really a major player in the ereader wars so I never even bothered to look at one. Other selling points of the nook were The Daily (which never really panned out), the read in store for an hour was another. The major reason was I am only 5 miles from a BN store so customer service was only 10 minutes away. Customer service is much better at BN than it was a year ago.

Oh and I forgot "Happy first birthday to nook", it was release one year ago!

Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

Did you see these?

Shining

Salem's Lot  

Frequent Contributor
bikechuck
0 Kudos

I chose the Nook because I wanted an device that would enable me to check out library books.  I love my Nook and I have been reading a mixture of full price, free, discounted and library books since owning it.  I am very happy with my purchase!

Inspired Correspondent
Andromeda208
0 Kudos

Bookmark  I don't know where you got your prices from, but The Shining and Salem's Lot are both $7.19 in ebook format.  :smileywink:

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

I love all the Drizzt books by R.A. Salvatore. However I used to only buy the collectors editions which were friggen heavy. On top of that I huge collection of other books which sadly after hurricane Ike I had to throw them all out because they either got mold or special glue loving, paper eating bugs came and took over whatever books I had left.

I've been a huge B&N over the years and at the time only the Kindle was out but I figured I'd hold out till B&N made their own. Low and behold nook came out and I fell in love with it because most (at the time and now all) of my books are on nookbook format. The big ticket that sold me was the ability to add a micro memory card for extra storage. :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

Yes I see these? whats your point? Their both $7.19 .................and ??????????

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

svsu wrote:

Yes I see these? whats your point? Their both $7.19 .................and ??????????

You revived an approximately ten month old thread.

A poster didn't immediately notice that, read the original post and posted those books in response to it.

(OP commented on those two particular books being much higher priced.)

There is really no reason for you to be so snarky.

Inspired Correspondent
Andromeda208
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

svsu  I wasn't addressing YOU!   Bookmark stated that they were $23.00 and $25.00 (I forget which was which).  I was just pointing out to him that B&N must have dropped the prices.  I was just trying to be nice (unlike some people).  Why do you have to be so nasty?  Did you even read the original post?

Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

I was referring to yarnmama's post not yours? And what makes you think Im being nasty? I didnt see any hate words. You need to quit your  name calling, OK?

Contributor
bvineyard
0 Kudos

I chose the Nook Color because of it's future capabilities (i.e. the rumors about updating it's Android OS to potentially handle Flash and apps). I had been debating (and at times still am) between a Nook Color and the Kindle 3. What threw me over the edge with the Nook is Google's eBookstore which provided a MUCH better selection of books - the kinds of books I enjoy anyway (which happened to be in better supply at Amazon.com).

Another BIG feature for me: the "Share" option. As I read I can select and post text from the book and shoot it to Twitter, Facebook or contacts in my Google contacts list. Love it! However, see caveat below.

I still have two issues with the Nook Color though:

1. Book Pricing through www.bn.com. Check these three links out. They're the same book from Amazon, B&N, and Google eBookstore. WHY IS THE KINDLE OPTION $7.99 (on the date of my writing) AND THE B&N OPTION $14.99?! ...woah.
  2. The Google eBookstore. This, like I mentioned above, was the tipping point for me into the Nook Color. BUT, I recently tried to use the fantastic "share" option and wasn't able to "share" from the book I had purchased from Google eBooks and had uploaded onto my Nook Color (from my computer). I don't understand that... maybe it was the book I purchased? ...maybe it's the Google eBook system? ...I'm trying to figure that out.
All in all, I'm enjoying the Nook Color. I'm empathetic with the readers out there who don't like the back-lit screen - my eyes get a little tired too... (I wish there were a dual option: eInk and full on Nook Color screen.)

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

I'm also idle for large chunks of my day, and because of what I do I can't have a book with me and read it in the open. An e reader solves that problem. I chose the Nook because aesthetically it looks better to me. Not to mention the fact that I still love going to the bookstore, and the fact that I canbring my Nook with me to B&N and get special content was a huge selling point for me when I decided to get one.

Reader
mandy615
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't have to sneak books into my husbands suitcase anymore when we go on vacation because there is no more room in mine! Also, free library books!

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

Alice: Madness Returns

Last July, EA and Spicy Horse announced a sequel to the PC classic, American McGee's Alice. In addition to replaying the original, I decided to pick up a copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I popped into my local Barnes & Noble, for what should have been an easy pickup. I made the mistake of stopping at the Nook display up front. Two things caught my interest...

1. Somebody had been reading The Rise and Fall of ECW. (Yes, I'm a wrestling fan.)

2. This was during the B&N Classics giveaway, and what was available that week? Alice!

... so now my choices were pick up a physical copy, or take a chance on this strange device. Well, I love strange devices, so let's give it a shot!

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
New User
Romantic_at_HeartNY
0 Kudos

I received the nook as a gift and was overjoyed, until I tried to borrow books from the public library (a great feature on paper). Finally after a month the nook icon finally appeared on my laptop and I was able to download library eBooks onto it.  Now I just have to figure out how to transfer between computers. I downloaded eBooks to my PC and would like to transfer them my laptop so I can read them on the nook. SIGH... Any suggestions?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You have to install and setup Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.  

This is Frogalum's guide

The nook User Guide
eBook Library Finder and Installing and Using Adobe Digital Editions

Go to your overdrive library account on your other computer and download it to that computer. If you have your computers networked then you can access the ascm file and just copy it to the computers that you want it on.

Romantic_at_HeartNY wrote:

I received the nook as a gift and was overjoyed, until I tried to borrow books from the public library (a great feature on paper). Finally after a month the nook icon finally appeared on my laptop and I was able to download library eBooks onto it.  Now I just have to figure out how to transfer between computers. I downloaded eBooks to my PC and would like to transfer them my laptop so I can read them on the nook. SIGH... Any suggestions?