Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Re: Why do coupons not work on ebooks?

Ya_Ya wrote:

KingAl wrote:

I'm still wondering why B&N did not offer discounts even before the Agency Model.

Simply put, they didn't have to.  People were buying at full price, why allow coupons?

Because quite a few people who ended up buying a Kindle for the cheaper books may have bought a nook if coupons were allowed.

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ya_Ya wrote:

lopaka47 wrote:

My question is, what's their reasoning behind disallowing coupons for the purchase of accessories for the different Nooks? 

Accessories are selling well enough without discounts/coupons, so why discount them?  If you're going to buy that cover whether or not you have a coupon, why would they give you a coupon for it?

Why discount them? Maybe to engender a little goodwill towards B&N? I know it's an old-fashioned concept these days, but B&N needs all of the aforementioned it can get right about now, especially with the hugely problematic launch of their N2E. Just because accessories are selling well for the Nooks at full price, that doesn't translate into B&N customers being overly thrilled about it. This economy is in pretty bad shape right now, and B&N would do well to remember that in dealing with its customers.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

KingAl wrote:

Because quite a few people who ended up buying a Kindle for the cheaper books may have bought a nook if coupons were allowed. 

If my main concern was inexpensive books, and Amazon had all-around better pricing, knowing that once in a blue moon when the sky was grey and the cat up the street was in heat, I could buy one B&N ebook at 15% off wouldn't sway me from the fact that the Amazon had better prices.

The thought process could be true for some, but it maka-no-sense.

@lopaka, as for "goodwill", really?  Do you think this really happens? Who do you get coupons from?  Places you're going to shop at anyway?  I got Target coupons in the mail because a new one just opened.  I didn't get them before that.  The new Target wants my business; the old nearby Target didn't need to send coupons because they already had my business.  

I never got mailed coupons from my local grocery store until said Target (with a full grocery) opened.  I just got some in the mail.  They didn't before need to send me coupons, because they already had my business.  They sent me [the local neighborhood] coupons, now, because they're concerned that Target could poach me [the local neighborhood.]

Corporations have no reason to discount something you're already going to buy.  If they think you might not buy it without incentive, then discounting it makes sense.

Does the "no coupons" actually push people away?  I can't imagine that it does.  We're all here, aren't we.  Even those of whining that they can't use coupons.  :smileywink:  

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

KingAl wrote:

If my main concern was inexpensive books, and Amazon had all-around better pricing, knowing that once in a blue moon when the sky was grey and the cat up the street was in heat, I could buy one B&N ebook at 15% off wouldn't sway me from the fact that the Amazon had better prices.

The thought process could be true for some, but it maka-no-sense.

Maybe my thought process is not normal :smileytongue:  but as a Border Rewards member, whenever I got one of the (frequent) coupons, I would buy something at Borders instead of Amazon.

(Of course, for all I know, all these Borders coupons could have hastened their demise...)

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KingAl wrote:

Maybe my thought process is not normal :smileytongue:  but as a Border Rewards member, whenever I got one of the (frequent) coupons, I would buy something at Borders instead of Amazon.

For physical books, yeah.  Ebooks, not so much.  

You can't use Amazon ebooks on a NOOK and you can't use B&N ebooks on a Kindle.  So, random occasional coupons - even frequent coupons - couldn't possibly be a logical reason to choose a NOOK over Kindle, if  money spent is the main consideration.  You'd still pay less overall with that Kindle than with NOOK and coupons, if Amazon had the better ebook prices, right?

I don't think the coupon on ebook could possibly force someone who wanted an ereader to choose NOOK over Kindle based solely or mostly on price/cost/fiscal considerations...  

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ya_Ya wrote:

Does the "no coupons" actually push people away?  I can't imagine that it does.  We're all here, aren't we.  Even those of whining that they can't use coupons.  :smileywink:  

Some people, probably. Others, probably not. And yes indeed, we're all right here. At least for now. If B&N should go out of business, this board will likely be a collateral casualty of that. I hope it doesn't happen, oc, but nowadays it seems that nothing is set in stone anymore. :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
Ragdoll51
0 Kudos

Do you have to be in the BN store to know about the promotions? You just mentioned buy a book and get an ebook by the same author for free. How would anybody know about that?  I look on line every day and never see anything except the spotlight for the month and free ebook Friday.  Please advise. Thanks.:smileyhappy:  Ragdoll