Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
RobGris
0 Kudos

Why do coupons not work on ebooks?

I love getting emails with discounts from B&N, but it really bothers me that they never work for ebooks.  I am a price conscious ebook purchaser, and I think if those 20% coupons they issue would really help me to make purchases. 

When I buy dead tree books I like to buy sets and I like to buy on sale.  I wish those two options were more readily available. 

If I wanna buy the whole Chronicles of Narnia, I wouldn't even consider going and buying them individually.  It seems wrong that that's how I have to purchase eBooks. 

B&N, is there any chance of increasing these types of deals.  I know for sure there are some series I would buy a "box set" of if they were released if I could get it with a coupon.  Dune, Narnia, Song of Ice and Fire.  I own all these books.  I want them in ebook form, but they just simply arent worth it to buy at the current price, IMHO. 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Re: Why do coupons not work on ebooks?

Up in the right hand corner is a search box, if you put "Nook Agency 5" into that box you can read all about the mess eBook pricing is in right now.  Short story, 5 of the top 6 publishing houses set the prices and don't allow any discounting at all.  Now, the coupon thing we cannot totally blame on the publishers because B&N didn't allow coupons or membership discounts before that started, but that is the reason they can't do it now, even if they wanted to.

There are some box sets around, they aren't usually much cheaper AND you have to realize when these box sets are sold, all the books are in ONE file that can really slow down page turns.

If you shop by price, check out your library and Doug Pardee has some wonderful links to help find eBooks from other sources and how to get them on your nook:

Click for a list of some e-book sources for NOOK
Click to learn how to put Sony e-books on a NOOK

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Do to the agency 5 B&N or any distributor can not discount the price less then what the publisher wants to sell it for.  Search Agency 5 for more information.

As for collections there are some that you can purchase in eBook format.  Just realize that you dont get all the books in seperate files but one large file with all of the books in it.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Contributor
RobGris
0 Kudos

Well, that is dissappointing on both grounds.  I would not consider a "box set" if all the books come as one.  It seems like a tremendously silly way to do things. 

And I am vaguely familiar with the Agency 5 situation, but I didn't realize it took away B&N's discretion to allow a coupon for eBooks. 

Thanks, BTW, for the suggestions about where to find more books. 

New User
HANNAHJO
0 Kudos

HOW DO I USE COUPONS FOR AN AUTOMATIC PURCHASE ON MY NOOK COLOR?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

HANNAHJO wrote:

You can't.  Coupons can't be used for NOOKs, NOOK accessories, or ebooks/apps//e-periodicals.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

HANNAHJO wrote:

You can't.  Coupons can't be used for NOOKs, NOOK accessories, or ebooks/apps//e-periodicals.

However, coupons not being valid for NOOKs or accessories definitely CANNOT be blamed on the Agency 5 model.  That is strictly a BN decision.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Nallia wrote:

HANNAHJO wrote:

However, coupons not being valid for NOOKs or accessories definitely CANNOT be blamed on the Agency 5 model.  That is strictly a BN decision.

I'm of the opinion that you can't blame the Agency Model for coupons not being valid on ebooks either, since B&N didn't allow them even before it existed.

New User
HANNAHJO
0 Kudos

THANK YOU

New User
HANNAHJO
0 Kudos

THANK YOU.  I JUST GOT MY NOOK & WHEN THEY SENT ME AN EMAIL ABOUT 15% OFF I THOUGHT  HAHATHEY MEANT FOR MY NOOK.   I JUST DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT BUT NOW I KNOW!  MY BAD. 

Correspondent
Rose_Bee

Hi Hanahjo!  Welcome to the forums.

Just so you know, when you type in ALL CAPS on the internet, it's the equivalent of shouting.  It's also hard to read.

I'm glad you were able to get your question answered! :smileyhappy:

New User
HANNAHJO

I am sorry for using all caps.  I am 64 years old and sometimes have trouble reading the replies.  I forget that all are not my age.  All this answering things on the Internet is new to me; I have not had any training and I just wing it.  Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Correspondent
Rose_Bee

You're doing great HannahJo! :smileyhappy:

Reader
MdmMR
0 Kudos

FYI: I was in BN last week and inquired about coupons for ebooks.  I was told that BN is working on the issue.  While I was there I also heard another customer commenting on how silly it is for BN to offer a membership whereby you receive a discount for books, but not ebooks.  It would be nice if BN is able to resolve these issues.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

MdmMR wrote:
FYI: I was in BN last week and inquired about coupons for ebooks.  I was told that BN is working on the issue.  While I was there I also heard another customer commenting on how silly it is for BN to offer a membership whereby you receive a discount for books, but not ebooks.  It would be nice if BN is able to resolve these issues.

It's unlikely that this will happen any time soon.  The 6 largest publishers and all their subsidiaries set the prices for the eBooks and the retailers cannot discount or offer coupons on the books.  The books are being sold under what is called the Agency Model, where the publisher is the actual seller of the book, B&N (and all other retailers) are the agent and as such, cannot offer discounts.  Until the publishers back off on that, and it doesn't appear likely in the near future, I wouldn't expect discounts.

They could offer discounts/coupons on the books from other publishers where they are actually the seller, but I suspect that would be so confusing to most people it would cause more headaches for everyone.  I can see all the confusion when someone tries to use a coupon and it's good on one book but not another.

If you're interested in the whole pricing structure, agency model thing, search Agency Model or Agency 5 (it's now Agency 6) but most of the discussion was before Random House joined in this April.  There is a log of discussion and explanations out there about it.

You can tell who is the seller by looking at the details on the eBook, it will say Published by Random House, Sold by Random House.  Or published by Mira books, sold by Barnes and Noble.

Wordsmith
KingAl

I'm still wondering why B&N did not offer discounts even before the Agency Model.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

KingAl wrote:

I'm still wondering why B&N did not offer discounts even before the Agency Model.

Simply put, they didn't have to.  People were buying at full price, why allow coupons?

Correspondent
cinderxhella
0 Kudos

First of all congratulations Hanahjo! You're doing great, no typos and well explained! Technology can be difficult when you weren't weaned off the bottle directly to the cellphone.

Ya_Ya I think that is a great explanation. That is what makes the most sense to me!

With that being said, once in a while B&N does do a promotion with ebooks and the nooks. For example a couple of weeks ago in the store if you bought a regular book you'd get another ebook by the same publisher for free. They also do occasionally send out coupons for the devices themselves (some members were getting $25 off a NC for being members for x number of years. They also were sending out $25 coupons to regular members too. With the new membership program offering $25 off at sign up though I would expect to see those coupons stop. What I'm saying is it would seem that B&N is dipping its toes in the water of coupons for ebooks. You never know what they have in the plan for the future! 

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Maybe this has been explained before, if so my apologies because I missed it. I understand about B&N not allowing coupons for the purchase of ebooks; I don't like it, mind, but I understand it. My question is, what's their reasoning behind disallowing coupons for the purchase of accessories for the different Nooks? The big publishing houses have nothing whatsoever to do with how much I pay for a new cover for my N2E, that is strictly a call that B&N alone gets to make.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

lopaka47 wrote:

My question is, what's their reasoning behind disallowing coupons for the purchase of accessories for the different Nooks? 

We've already answered this question.

Businesses don't give coupons out of the goodness of their hearts.  They give coupons to entice people to buy; that's why coupons are sometimes for things you probably weren't planning to buy.

Accessories are selling well enough without discounts/coupons, so why discount them?  If you're going to buy that cover whether or not you have a coupon, why would they give you a coupon for it?