Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Helen_Hedwig
0 Kudos

Why do free NOOKbooks require a credit card number when no purchase is necessary?

I was just looking at a few of the free NOOKbooks and when I clicked download, it said that I needed to add a credit card to my account. How do I get a free NOOKbook without adding a credit card and why does that keep happening?

--Please Help!

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Re: Why do free NOOKbooks require a credit card number when no purchase is necessary?

[ Edited ]

You must have a credit card registered to your account to unlock any book from B&N. The credit card unlocks the DRM that allows you to view the book.

Lots of info on this subject if you search in the board search bar.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Why do free NOOKbooks require a credit card number when no purchase is necessary?

If you don't want to keep a "real" credit card on file, you can buy a prepaid AMEX/VISA/MASTERCARD and use it as your default payment information to unlock DRM.  You have to be able to tie it to a physical address, but otherwise these prepaids work just fine.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Child-acct-don-t-want-to-have-default-...

If you do that, you'll want to add B&N gift cards to your account because you don't want to have to pay $5 for new prepaid cards on a regular basis.

New User
MsMax
0 Kudos

BN_Rick

We provide free NOOK Books to enable our customers to test the NOOK App on their device of choice. All publishers require that the NOOK Books they submit, including free NOOK Books, are encrypted for each customer. Currently, the “unlock” device is the billing name and credit card number of the primary credit card on your Barnes & Noble account.

New User
MarinoR
0 Kudos

I work for a Government Agency and we have purchased 4 Nooks.  In setting them up we have run into this issue.  We are a government agency and CANNOT have a GOVERNMENT credit card associated with this device, as even an accidental purchase will create a wave of questions and paperwork that we need to avoid.  We called Customer Service and were told that there simply is no other way, which is quite rediculous considering that I can create a CC less account on just about any other eBookStore (Kindle DOES NOT need a CC, nor does Sony).

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

MarinoR wrote:

I work for a Government Agency and we have purchased 4 Nooks.  In setting them up we have run into this issue.  We are a government agency and CANNOT have a GOVERNMENT credit card associated with this device, as even an accidental purchase will create a wave of questions and paperwork that we need to avoid.  We called Customer Service and were told that there simply is no other way, which is quite rediculous considering that I can create a CC less account on just about any other eBookStore (Kindle DOES NOT need a CC, nor does Sony).

Since this seems to be a dealbreaker for you, I would recommend returning the NOOKs if they are within the 14-day window of the return policy. Otherwise, see @Ya_Ya's tip about prepaid cards above.

If you have a NOOK (Wi-Fi or 3G/Wi-Fi, aka NOOK "Classic") you don't have to register your NOOK to an account at all, thus avoiding the problem entirely.

If you have a NOOKColor (and if you do, BTW, you might try posting on the NOOKColor threads) there is no way I know of that doesn't force you to register. But the gurus in the NOOKColor threads can probably advise you better on that.

Glad to know my tax dollars are hard at work. :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

As has been said, in this very thread, a prepaid card can be used as the default credit card on the account.

Or, you can just not register them and sideload all books you'd like to use.

Or, you can just get someone else's reader.  :smileywink:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

MarinoR wrote:

B&N has chosen to use a DRM scheme that creates an encryption key for the books based on the registered credit card and a few other factors.  The cc is not stored on the Nook.  Amazon's DRM is tied to the device itself as is Sony's which is why you don't need a credit card for those devices.

There are pluses and minuses to both of the methods.  I understand the issue with the Government credit card though, and it seems your options are explained by Ya_Ya, except I don't think the prepaid card would work because issue isn't that you don't have a credit card, but that you don't want any accidentaly purchases and you'd need to change it to the actual credit card each time you needed to purchase something.

Not registering and sideloading all the books would work, but you'd still need to have a credit card attached to the account, so you'd be faced with the same problem.

Unfortunately, the Nook may not work be the best choice in your situation. 

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

If you have Nookcolors, you could root them.  I think this would by-pass the CC issue as well.  Correct me if I am wrong, oh-techier-than-I peeps!

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

normysmom wrote:

If you have Nookcolors, you could root them.  I think this would by-pass the CC issue as well.  Correct me if I am wrong, oh-techier-than-I peeps!

You still have to have a cc on file to purchase ebooks from B&N.

Inspired Correspondent
Angulimala
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

MarinoR wrote:

Since this seems to be a dealbreaker for you, I would recommend returning the NOOKs if they are within the 14-day window of the return policy. Otherwise, see @Ya_Ya's tip about prepaid cards above.

If you have a NOOK (Wi-Fi or 3G/Wi-Fi, aka NOOK "Classic") you don't have to register your NOOK to an account at all, thus avoiding the problem entirely.

If you have a NOOKColor (and if you do, BTW, you might try posting on the NOOKColor threads) there is no way I know of that doesn't force you to register. But the gurus in the NOOKColor threads can probably advise you better on that.

Glad to know my tax dollars are hard at work. :smileyvery-happy:

Also glad to know our government doesn't understand DRM. That'll help them make informed decisions in the future!

New User
MarinoR
0 Kudos

If everyone was using the same DRM scheme as B&N it would be
easier to swallow, however, it seems they are the only ones that have this CC
requirement. We got the Nooks so that our staff can help patrons setup and use
Overdrive. But to get to that point we need to get everyone trained in the
basics of how these devices, and their respective ebook stores, work. We are a
Public Library, so I can assure you that we understand Intellectual property
and Digital rights management better than most. We can also see how a
"business decision" to require credit card numbers for DRM serves no
real purpose when it comes to securing IPs or your personal information. Like I
said, everyone else seems to work out DRM without CCs just fine. It seems that
some of you, however, don't understand the intricacies of the Checks and Balances
system used throughout all levels of government, especially how it affects
local and state entities. Even tiny transactions generate a massive amount of
paperwork, which would be wasteful, and we are trying to avoid that, thus
guarding your hard earned, and painfully parted with, tax dollars.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

MarinoR wrote:

some of you, however, don't understand the intricacies of the Checks and Balances

I could be wrong, BUT I thought every time I have obtained a free B&N book NOTHUING actually EVER shows up on my credit card bill or bank account. 

SO....  IF all you are doing in regards to B&N books is getting free ones to test how the device works, I do not think ANY transaction will show up anywhere on any credit card account.

THUS problem solved. 

Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook

If you are side-loading books with Overdrive and Adobe, you don't need to worry about B&N's DRM.  Just don't buy books from them.

Inspired Correspondent
Debh366

MarinoR wrote:

Why didn't you look into this before buying the Nook then?  I was an oblivious user when I first got mine and KNEW they would need a cc on file.  How else would you purchase books?

´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

MarinoR wrote:

requirement. 

Yes, B&N's DRM is different than everyone else's.  B&N's social DRM scheme allows a user to place the file on as many devices as he or she chooses but only if s/he is willing to enter his/her credit card number to each device in order to unlock the file.  All other retailers use device-specific DRM schemes.

I much prefer B&N's DRM for this reason.  Say I have a NOOK, a NOOKColor, buy whatever new device is about to be released, have a Mac desktop, get a netbook, have a PC laptop, an Android phone, am given a smartphone by my employer and win an iPad.  With B&N I can read my book on all of those.  With other DRM schemes, I'd have to pick and choose what 6 could hold the book, or remove it from one and add it to another every time I wanted to change devices.

I am again shocked at someone complaining that a device works the way it is advertised to work.  

Frequent Contributor
geertm

Ya_Ya wrote:

MarinoR wrote:

requirement. 

Yes, B&N's DRM is different than everyone else's.  B&N's social DRM scheme allows a user to place the file on as many devices as he or she chooses but only if s/he is willing to enter his/her credit card number to each device in order to unlock the file.  All other retailers use device-specific DRM schemes.

I much prefer B&N's DRM for this reason.  Say I have a NOOK, a NOOKColor, buy whatever new device is about to be released, have a Mac desktop, get a netbook, have a PC laptop, an Android phone, am given a smartphone by my employer and win an iPad.  With B&N I can read my book on all of those.  With other DRM schemes, I'd have to pick and choose what 6 could hold the book, or remove it from one and add it to another every time I wanted to change devices.

I am again shocked at someone complaining that a device works the way it is advertised to work.  

You can also share books this way with other people. No need to share an account (Kindle) and almost impossible with Adobe DRM.

And you can just copy the books to your device, without needing any special software. Just do a search for all the problems people are having with ADE, and your will see that this a big advantage compared to Adobe DRM.

New User
MarinoR

The problem becomes more evident when folks start to accidentally charge books to the account.  We have been in talks with other localities and they have experienced this quite often.  Not to mention that putting a credit card of any sort in a device like this can be potentially disastrous in an environment where it gets passed around by hundreds of people.  Accountability would be an issue.  Everyone would initially deny making the purchase.

New User
MarinoR
0 Kudos

The Kindle, Sony reader, etc., also works as advertised, and, interestingly, do not require a credit card to download public domain titles.  Also,  I don't remember reading anywhere in the advertisement material for the Nook that to download public domain materials (which are free of the copyright burden) you need to have a credit card, or even that their DRM scheme uses credit card numbers to generate your private keys.  Not sure what you mean by advertised.

I do agree that the ability to share your book collection is very handy.