Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
incognito88
0 Kudos

Why does my Industriell cover have a magnet?

[ Edited ]

I have an Industriell cover on my Nook, it's this one:

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Industriell-Front-Cover/e/9781615513369/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=37684

Look closely at the picture. This cover only covers the front of the Nook, not the back.

Does anyone know why this Industriell cover has a magnet on the inside of the lower end of the cover?

This is not a cover with a magnetic clip to keep it closed. This is not a two sided cover. It only covers the front of the Nook.

I did a search here and the only explanation I found was it is there for its weight to keep the cover closed.

The cover is very flexible and would stay closed without this magnet (weight).

The magnetic pull is much stronger on the inside than the outside.

This really has me puzzled.

If it really is only for weight, why not just put in a strip of metal? Why use a magnet?

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

Re: Why does my Industriell cover have a magnet?

There are a few different Industriell covers, a couple had the magnetic closure, like this one;

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Industriell-Easel-Cover-in-Storm/e/9781616813840?itm=6&USRI=industri...

They probably use the same front on all of them to save on production costs.

Frequent Contributor
swok34

I don't know why, but I like the magnet. I can prop my book up like an easel and read hands free and I also read while I am walking the dog. The magnet allows me to hold the book in a way that makes it very easy.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I had the industriell cover on my N1E for over a year.  The magnet doesn't hurt anything.  Don't worry about it.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Contributor
incognito88
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ wrote:

I had the industriell cover on my N1E for over a year.  The magnet doesn't hurt anything.  Don't worry about it.

I wasn't particularly worried about the magnet. The cover has been on for a few months now so I figure if it was going to do any damage, it would have already been done. And the Nook is working fine.

The magnet "curiousity factor" is the reason I posted, as in: Why is it there? What purpose (if any) does it serve?

No one seems to know.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie

AlanNJ wrote:

That's right Alan, if it doesn't matter to you it shouldn't matter to anyone.  Don't think people.  Alan's okay with it so everyone should be.

Distinguished Correspondent
F14Scott
0 Kudos

I have the same cover and have noted the vestigial magnet.  I sometimes wonder if the ladies who keep their nooks in their pocketbooks with their wallets have credit card erasure problems.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Nooksie wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

That's right Alan, if it doesn't matter to you it shouldn't matter to anyone.  Don't think people.  Alan's okay with it so everyone should be.

First of all I didn't say it doesn't matter to me.  I said it doesn't hurt anything and not to worry about it.  I would appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth and misinterpret what I'm saying.  Your reading comprehension apparently leaves something to be desired.

I wondered about it as well when I first got my cover so I absolutely understand the original poster's question.  I actually couldn't figure out why my Droid X was going into car dock mode whenever I put my phone on top of my Nook.  It turns out that car dock mode is activated by a magnet.  Does that mean it's a problem.  Not at all.

So save your sarcasm and hostility until you need to use it.  

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Why does my Industriell cover have a magnet?

As a conversation starter. 

More seriously, the inner part is probably made on the same jig as for other covers and it is easier to simply make all the inner stiffeners exactly the same. 

Inspired Contributor
Plucknbach
0 Kudos

That's for putting away your nook on the refrigerator when not reading.

That so you can use the magnet to park the nook on your refrigerator.

Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer, and Watch this..."
Inspired Contributor
incognito88
0 Kudos

Re: That's for putting away your nook on the refrigerator when not reading.

Plucknbach wrote:

That so you can use the magnet to park the nook on your refrigerator.

Ah, so that's it. I knew there had to be a reason.

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

swok34 wrote:

I don't know why, but I like the magnet. I can prop my book up like an easel and read hands free and I also read while I am walking the dog. The magnet allows me to hold the book in a way that makes it very easy.

Who in there right mind would read there Nook and walk there dog!?!?! Don't get me wrong I'm attached to my Nook also It doesn't seem to let me go anywhere without it(LOL)! But reading and dog walking? Now that's one I've never heard!

Very good If you practice it enough I bet you'd be able to walk in a straight line if you were pulled over by the cops and they thought you were under the influence of alcohol. Even though you tried telling them you were just reading your Nook!:smileyvery-happy:

"But officer seriously I haven't had a drink all day. I was just reading my Nook, honest"!!!! If I wasn't limited to giving only one Laurel at a time I'd give you more. Reading this has definitely made my day! Wish more people were able to see your post:smileyhappy:

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!