Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Why does my nook work?

[ Edited ]

Apparently I should be having all sorts of trouble with my nook, but it's failing to do that. My wife has the same problem.

Our nooks have never frozen even with 1.2, and the batteries last about a week (unless I'm playing Sudoku a lot). Our page-turn buttons aren't cracked.

I've downloaded e-books from B&N and sideloaded e-books from Fictionwise, eReader.com, Sony, Kobo, Baen, Smashwords, and Project Gutenberg. I've shared e-books with my wife, both with Adobe and B&N DRM. We've borrowed e-books and e-audiobooks from the library and loaded them on the nook. It's all worked.

The 1.3 update went fine on both of our nooks; they both came up on our WEP WiFi system without any grief.

With 1.3, My Documents now seems to update reliably when I eject the nook from Windows. With 1.2, I sometimes had to turn the nook off and back on (oh, the agony).

With 1.3, the dictionary finally seems to be usable. Also, the highlights and notes are working fine for me.

With 1.3, Read In Store is working along with the already-working More In Store.

I've only noticed ghosting once: I was fooling around in the WiFi menu, turned off WiFi and turned it right back on without leaving the menu, and the message that said it was connecting to my access point was garbled in with the message that said it was disconnected.

I'm not making light of those who do have problems with their nooks. I just wanted to remind everyone that there are hundreds of thousands of nooks out there that are working fine. (Exact numbers aren't available, but the analysts' best guesses seem to be in the low hundreds of thousands so far, with projections of a million or so to be sold in 2010.)

nook 1.3 works.

Contributor
anne_dutch
0 Kudos

Re: Why does my nook work?

I'm with you! Only one freeze with 1.2, good battery life, no issues with syncing, etc. Yay for nook!

you can call me al.
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

I'm with you on no problems (so far).  I did have it freeze on me about 3 times directly out of the box but have had no issues since then.  Of course now that I've said this I've probably cursed myself and something will go wrong :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
barker12
0 Kudos

Im with you mine works great never had a problem with it. it works great.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover

If your reason for posting this was to have people attest to the fact that "not all Nooks are problematic," I think it worked.  You can add me to the list of "no problems here!"  Never froze, I had a battery problem once, but it seems to have fixed itself overnight after removing it.  Page turns have always been fast, no cracked buttons.  Everything (except the pricing of ebooks LOL) is perfect. 

I'd say that those who have had problems are the vocal minority.  It doesn't, of course, mean that the folks with the issues shouldn't discuss the problems and demand that they get fixed.  But sometimes, folks only hear about the problems and incorrectly assume that virtually all of the devices are defective.  I'm glad to hear others voice the "no problems" sid of things, as well.

Thanks for creating this thread!

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

Count me in.  I've had my nook since December.  It froze once because I let the battery run too low. That's it.  It has performed perfectly and has far exceeded my expectations for an ebook reader. 

I'm glad this forum is here for all of us.  I have learned so much from these threads.  I respect what my nook was designed to be, an efficient work horse of an ebook reader ~ yet, after seeing some of its potential unleashed with this latest update ~  I can now anticipate having a lot more fun with my nook in the future! 

Inspired Correspondent
PepaLou
0 Kudos

I'm with all off you (you beat me to posting this...LOL).  Not a single problem with my nook.  Not a single freeze, or battery problem.  I read for a few hours daily and my battery still lasts about a week.  I have never even removed the back from my nook to take the battery out.  No cracked buttons, no ghosting, no problems uploading or sideloading books, pages turn fast. 

All in all, I'm 100% satisfied with my nook (which was a birthday gift).  One of the most awesome gadgets I've ever owned. 

Brasil #1
Proud owner of "COUNT NOOKULA"!
Stop adding more crap to my nook! If I wanted a do it all POS, I would have bought an Ipad!
Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

my only problem is waiting til next day to buy new ebooks >.< WHY AREN'T THEY ALL FREE!!!!!!

but i agree with this thread...the only thing that ever happened was my wi-fi didnt connect after 1.3. But reseting the router and refinding my network solved the issue. I'm 1111111110000000% happy with my nook

Contributor
Gegatso
0 Kudos

I'm in the same boat. Not a single problem and I'm using it like crazy and have done all sorts of silly things with it. Not a single issue.

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee,

I think you have a defective unit. You need to take it back. :smileyvery-happy:

I've had my nook lock up a couple of times and I think the battery life could be better, but you know what? I STILL LOVE MY NOOK! And really, I have no complaints inspite of that. :smileyhappy:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

No problems here either.  I'm still waiting for a freeze so I know what evereyone is talking about.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
bayboatin
0 Kudos

Ditto...

No problems and/or complaints here.  I love my Nook :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

I can sympathize with those having problems since I did with 1.2 too, but those threads have permeated the boards lately.  Since the update I can now happily join the ranks of the bug free....knock on wood, I might just jinx it :smileyhappy:

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

I've had a few freeze-ups - one because the battery needed to be calibrated (it was reading 50%+ but when I did the remove the battery trick the charge was at like 2%) and a couple with 1.2 - but those weren't enough to make me scream and whine.  I love my nook!!

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

Mine also works fine, weird. Plus, it not only continues to work fine, but it seems to improve every few months!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Same here (well one with a cracked bezel) but no freezes, good battery life, fast page turns, etc.

I keep reading that everyones page turns are much faster, mine was always as it is now.

Actually, both nooks that I've had are the same, no trouble with either one.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Happy camper here, too.  Mine has stopped responding once or twice, but I think that was user error - trying to push too many buttons too quickly.  I've not had to resort to removing the battery as powering it down and letting it come back on has sorted the issue.

Just got back from 3 weeks in Australia and had all the reading material needed :smileyhappy:

As soon as I got back to the US and connected to wifi, nook loaded the latest software, without any problems at all and so far its working well.  I definitely see an improvement in page-turning speed.  

This device is a reader for me, so I'm not too interested in a lot of the enhancements (although I may check them out), so I would really love to see B&N help out with sorting our documents libraries. After all, I can access any of my DTBs immediately because I have them in alphabetical order and keep unread books in a separate spot - it would be heaven to be able to do that on the nook.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

I agree.  I received my Nook as a late Christmas present in January, and I've been delighted with it.

I've had two major problems:  one fried Nook, and some corrupted files in My Library.  B&N was great about replacing the bad unit immediately, and Michael worked tirelessly until the corrupt file problem was solved.  Customer Support/Digital Support can't be beat.  Any minor freezes I've had otherwise were user error -- hitting buttons too fast, mostly -- and easily cleared.  No cracked buttons here, either.

I just got back from a trip overseas, and Nook lived up to all my expectations.  So much better and more flexible than packing a pile of books!

With 1.3, I'm seeing faster page turns, better touch screen performance and easier WiFi access, including in airports.  I'm looking forward to trying out the other new features.

An outstanding product keeps getting better. Isn't it great when that happens? :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
PecosLP
0 Kudos

My nook arrived on Christmas Eve and I've never had a single problem with it.  The 1.3 update makes using the nook more fun than ever. 

I am curious as to why my laptop PC needs several programs to protect against virus/spy/malware problems while my brave little nook is now out there browsing the web completely unprotected.  Would someone please be kind enough to explain why this is?  Thanks in advance.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I could be wrong but I would not think there is a prevalence of Android viruses out there like there are for a Windows PC.

►Without order there is chaos◄