Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
mrobinson1201
0 Kudos

Why is B&N hiding the compatibility information?

I purchased 2 books for my grandaughter to read on my nook.  There was nothing on the page anywhere that said it was only for nook color.  I called and they told me that there is a tiny question mark all the way over to the left by the orange button, and if you click there it will list in small font, the devices that the book is compatible with. 

I had a hard time finding it even after she told me where it was.  Why?  I can't even imagine why that would be hidden.

also, why can I not view these books on my PC or my Android?

:womanfrustrated:

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Why is B&N hiding the compatibility information?

If you click on that little question mark, it tells you what it's compatible with. It's not compatible with most apps and none of the eInk devices.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Many such books aren't "books" -- they are actual programs ("apps") formatted for specific devices.

As a result you'd only be able to view them on a computer if you were running a device emulation (something that many software development environments may include).

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

An easy way to tell books that won't work is the word Enhanced in the title. None of the Enhanced titles will work on the first edition nook.

There are other books that won't work - it's not THAT easy - but you can safely assume none of those will.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

"PagePerfect" (ebooks) don't seem compatible with NE1 or NST either. Well, the ones I have checked so far.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

"PagePerfect" (ebooks) don't seem compatible with NE1 or NST either. Well, the ones I have checked so far.

Nope, these are not compatible.

Anything that isn't straight up .epub format or .pdf format won't work on the N1E or NST/G.  That's another way to tell for those devices - check the format listed on the sale page.

It's a bit more complicated with the nook apps, unfortunately.  Some stuff works in some apps and not in others, and unless you've memorized the specs of your apps, you'll need to click the question mark to verify.

New User
richdebate
0 Kudos

Yes the same thing happened to me. It seems unfair that all of a sudden random books can't be read on the PC or on Android devices. My book was a children's book, as well. 

Very frustrating. 

Is this going to be a trend? If so, I will wrap up my relationship with Barnes & Noble.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

richdebate wrote:

Yes the same thing happened to me. It seems unfair that all of a sudden random books can't be read on the PC or on Android devices. My book was a children's book, as well. 

Very frustrating. 

Is this going to be a trend? If so, I will wrap up my relationship with Barnes & Noble.

Which books are you referring to?  Books don't just magically morph into PagePerfect or enhanced eBooks.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716