Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
nookinventory
0 Kudos

Why is Sideloading So Difficult?

Is there a quick/dirty guide to sideloading somewhere?  I've downloaded an epub version of Heart of Darkness from Gutenburg.  Now what?  How do I get it to my Nook?  I've been completely unable to import pdf's too.  When I drag them from my desktop to my Nook (My Documents), I receive a plus sign, which indicates the Nook will accept it.  But they do not show up.  I know I'm doing something wrong, but what?

Also, can I buy from the Kindle store and import those files to my Nook?  Why do I ask that?  Because three times now I've been able to find an E-book at the K-store but not at B&N.  It's very frustrating but that's another rant.  Thank you.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Re: Why is Sideloading So Difficult?

You need to undock the Nook but keep it connected to your PC.

As far as the Amazon store is concerned that's a limitation of Amazon, not Barnes and Noble.  Amazon is the one with the proprietary format.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
clka
0 Kudos

After you eject your nook from the pc and go to my documents in the nook library are you telling it to check for new content? 

Cheryl

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

calibre! There are a lot of posts about this software so.... search! Its your best friend

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

nookinventory wrote:

Is there a quick/dirty guide to sideloading somewhere?

Pages 95-97 of the User Guide pretty much covers it.

nookinventory wrote:

How do I get it to my Nook?

There are all sorts of ways. You can use Adobe Digital Editions, you can use Calibre, or you can just drag and drop into My Documents.

nookinventory wrote:

When I drag them from my desktop to my Nook (My Documents), I receive a plus sign, which indicates the Nook will accept it.  But they do not show up.

After you get the files into your My Documents folder, you need to get the nook to find them. There are lots of ways to do this that will work sometimes. One way that works all the time is to shut the nook all the way off (white screen) and turn it back on again.

By the way, PDFs are probably the worst choice for eBooks. PDF is intended for page formatting. The nook will try to reflow the text if it can, but that sometimes doesn't work very well. Note: BeBook provides PDFs that are already page-formatted for an 800x600 e-reader, so they work pretty well.

nookinventory wrote:

can I buy from the Kindle store and import those files to my Nook?

Unfortunately, Amazon isn't sharing their e-book format with B&N. Or anyone else, for that matter.

nookinventory wrote:

three times now I've been able to find an E-book at the K-store but not at B&N.

Have you checked AddALL and InkMesh?

Contributor
nookinventory
0 Kudos

Thank you all for the quick hints.  The first time I tried Calibre, a few weeks ago, it got stuck on a job and couldn't complete it.  I don't know why.  I took that as an indication the program didn't work well, so I forgot about it.  I just tried it again with a regular pdf and it worked fine.  I am sure it will work well with ePubs too.  Thank you very much for the helping hand.  I'm feeling better about the Nook now.

Contributor
JaneElliot
0 Kudos

I've been having the same problem with Calibre. I spent like an hour last night trying to get a pdf. It would send to my nook, be on the harddrive, but not listed. I tried doing this around 10x. I decided to use ADE! It worked the first time around! Best thing is ADE, really. I had zero problem installing my PDF and having it show up.

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh

[ Edited ]

I know a lot of people just are not technical. But I can't imagine drag and dropping a file into the My Documents folder being all that difficult. Ten - fifteen years ago, yes, to drag and drop something was new and seemed mysterious. Today, however, everything is drag and drop.

So I don't see the need to recommend Calibre for sideloading. It makes a simple task more difficult; especially for a new user to understand. Why should they need to download some program just to drag and drop into a folder? --Don't get me wrong. I have Calibre and it is a neat program for converting ebook formats and also making epub newspapers. 

The fact is that the nook is already made the simplest and easiest way to get a book onto your nook. 

1. Plug it in and your computer mounts it as a hard drive
  2. Drag and drop the book(s) into My Documents. (on the nood drive)
  3. Eject & check for new content. 
My mom can even do this and she is... Well she'd smack me if I said her age. But I'm 39 so you can guess at the rest.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Rav_Bunneh wrote:

I know a lot of people just are not technical. But I can't imagine drag and dropping a file into the My Documents folder being all that difficult. Ten - fifteen years ago, yes, to drag and drop something was new and seemed mysterious. Today, however, everything is drag and drop.

So I don't see the need to recommend Calibre for sideloading. It makes a simple task more difficult; especially for a new user to understand. Why should they need to download some program just to drag and drop into a folder? --Don't get me wrong. I have Calibre and it is a neat program for converting ebook formats and also making epub newspapers. 

Thanks for posting that.  It needed saying.

I don't understand how people survive in the work-a-day world without

knowing how do drag and drop a file.  

I can't imagine why people won't read the manual or at least watch the video

about sideloading.  People, it is drop dead simple.  

Snag any random teenager and ask for a demo.  

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

nookinventory wrote:

Is there a quick/dirty guide to sideloading somewhere? 

Yes there is:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@nookinventory,

Just as an FYI, we have updated the nook FAQ & Support page and there are video instructions for sideloading content.  You can click on the link below and then click on the "Getting Started and FAQ" section.  Once there click on "Beyond eBooks":

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195#beyond-ebooks

I hope this helps....

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Michael-V wrote:

@nookinventory,

Just as an FYI, we have updated the nook FAQ & Support page  

FYI Michael:

The nook FAQ has an error that you might want to report to the web content people.

Under Connectivity, Item #3 says:

• When connecting your nook to a home Wi-Fi network, please be sure that your Wi-Fi network is either 802.11b or 802.11g. If it is an open network, you should be able to easily connect to your network without adding any information. However if your network is set as a secure network, you will need to add "Add a W-Fi hotspot" to connect and you will need to know and enter your network SSID (network name), password and the exact security method, such as WEP, WPA, WPA2, none, etc.

*Italics mine.

The wording suggests that if you use any kind of secured network you have to enter all that stuff manually, your SSID, and your security method.

But this is not the case.  

The nook scans for wifi hotspots, and provides a list.  It will show the "scanning please wait message". If you just give it a few seconds it will find your hotspot even if it is a secured network.  You can invoke a re-scan by simply exiting the wifi portion of settings, an re-entering the wifi selection screen.

You want to encourage people to select their network from the scanned list, because that automatically picks up the SSID, the REAL security method, and leaves them only to enter the password/passphrase.

If they select the option labled OTHER Hotspot, instead of selecting from the scanned hotspots, they have to manually enter SSID, Security, and password.  Many people have trouble with this, (so many that I suspect there is a bug in that part of the system), and there are lots of chances for error.

The only time its really necessary to use the Other hotspot option, and go thru the hassle of entering all that info is when the hotspot does not broadcast it's SSID.   The FAQ should change its wording to suggest this is only necessary when trying to access a HIDDEN hotspot. 

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

Ya Know.... Back in the Old Days, and I am old enough to have programmed on a 8088 4mhz processor (I can't even recall how much K of ram it had back then). There used to be a poster with a big gorilla on it (i think wearing specticals) and underneath it was the phrase:

DOS isn't Difficult,

People are Lazy. 

Sideloading... Unless it's an Adobe Epub, it's pretty much Pick it up, drop it down. that's about it.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Phigment wrote:

Sideloading... Unless it's an Adobe Epub, it's pretty much Pick it up, drop it down. that's about it.

EVEN if its Adobe!

You don't HAVE TO use ADE to sideload ADE books once you authorize the nook.  They fixed it so it does now work, but its still just as easy to drag and drop them after downloading from the library.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

The question should be rhetorical.  It isn't difficult.  Sideloading is so very simple.  Drag it to my documents, eject your nook by going to my computer and right-clicking on the nook, then safely remove it from your computer, then look at the my documents folder on your nook and check for new content.  You don't need to turn the nook off, wave a magic wand, run around in circles, or anything special. 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Phigment wrote:

DOS isn't Difficult,

People are Lazy. 

Exactly right.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
Gyokuro
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

.  You don't need to turn the nook off, wave a magic wand, run around in circles, or anything special. 

Aww that's the part I enjoyed best :smileywink:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@icebike,

Appreciate the feedback.  I am currently looking into this and will give you an update soon.

Thanks!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Phigment wrote:

EVEN if its Adobe!

You don't HAVE TO use ADE to sideload ADE books once you authorize the nook.  They fixed it so it does now work, but its still just as easy to drag and drop them after downloading from the library.

You don't have to, but if it's a library book you probably want to.  The only way to return a book early is through ADE.  With the limits some library systems have on eBooks, you might want to do so at times, I do so all the time just so the those behind me can get their hands on it more quickly.

Wordsmith
Michael-V

@icebike,

Technically, you are correct. However, the FAQ is not wrong; there is just two ways to accomplish the same thing.
There is an advantage to the way the FAQ is written, which is that by entering the information, you may save the device from having to scan for all available wifi signals and thereby save on battery life.