Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Why is Sideloading <B&N Content> So Difficult?

Khayrian wrote:

I recently had a faulty nook replaced, and since my new nook has arrived I have been completely happy except... 

.. not all of the ebooks I own are on my nook. The B&N purchases in "My Library" show the COVERS and TITLES of all purchased B&N content, but not the actual book itself. I go to select a book, and it takes me to the "Download" option. I thought this was supposed to happen autumatically? Why not?

Why didn't you excercise the Download option?

New purchases download immediately.  But existing items in your online book shelf do not always download automatically.  As people's book shelf grows (to say nothing about their Archive) the arbitrary downloading to each PC, Phone, or nook induces a ton of bandwidth, consumes a lot of storage, and becomes unworkable in short order.

Rather than forcing all your purchased content down onto your nook, or your replacement nook, you are given a choice to download them.

There is no need to sideload B&N purchases.  Simply download them to your nook as you need them.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Why is Sideloading <B&N Content> So Difficult?

Khayrian wrote:

I recently had a faulty nook replaced, and since my new nook has arrived I have been completely happy except... 

.. not all of the ebooks I own are on my nook. The B&N purchases in "My Library" show the COVERS and TITLES of all purchased B&N content, but not the actual book itself. I go to select a book, and it takes me to the "Download" option. I thought this was supposed to happen autumatically? Why not?

SO, after watching the B&N Sideloading Video, I connected the nook to my PC, found the previously downloaded B&N books on my PC, did a copy & paste, voila! B&N content is STILL NOT on my nook. However, Adobe PDF ebooks purchased from another source DID download. 

After ending and properly disconnecting the nook from my PC I continuted to read. Low and behold, pasted content is not there and now the nook is freezing! Help!?!

Anything sideloaded must go into My Documents NOT the B&N Library...  Just download the books, it's really not hard.

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

Re: Why is Sideloading So Difficult?

nookinventory wrote:

Thank you all for the quick hints.  The first time I tried Calibre, a few weeks ago, it got stuck on a job and couldn't complete it.  I don't know why.  I took that as an indication the program didn't work well, so I forgot about it.  I just tried it again with a regular pdf and it worked fine.  I am sure it will work well with ePubs too.  Thank you very much for the helping hand.  I'm feeling better about the Nook now.

.pdf's aren't the best format for the nook's limited handling ability with .pdf's (and all other e-readers are .pdf limited for that matter.).   I have found some .pdf's cannot be converted at all (job didn't complete) and some that become gobbledygook after trying to convert to .epub.  I don't bother now and read .pdf's on my laptop.

For those .pdf's that are natively readable on my nook, I just drag and drop them onto my nook via Windows explorer rather than change my settings on Calibre.

For all other epub files, I use calibre to catalog, tag, edit, add covers and transfer to my nook.  It's simple and works great!

I also use Sigil to create a Table of Contents (ie chapters) if an e-book hasn't got one already (often the case) and then load it to Calibre

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!