Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
mal001
0 Kudos

Wifi - Nook and hotels

I frequently travel and the hotels I stay usually have free wifi but to use it you need to enter the credentials (userid and password) given to me when I check in. In the room my pc connects to the wifi and a special page opens when I open my browser that requests my credientials.

How do I do this with the Nook? The Nook will find and connect to the system/router but by the time I go to the browser it disconnects and the browser says it couldn't get to the web.

Has anyone had any success with this?

Thanks.

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Re: Wifi - Nook and hotels

According to the manual for the nook, you would need to manually configure a hotspot

from page 57 of the manual --

You can configure one or more Wi-Fi hotspots, irrespective of whether they broadcast their SSIDs. For example, you can configure Wi-Fi settings for a home network or the coffee shop around the corner. If you configure other Wi-Fi hotspots, your NOOK automatically connects to them.

Note: For a secured hotspot, you must provide the credentials needed to connect - the network name (SSID), security type, and security code.

So basically, you go to settings, go to Wi-Fi, and then setup the connection to the hotspot, and then you activate it. (note: once you do this, you may need to type the stuff in again when the browser loads).

Apparently that hotel's network is setup to allow you to connect and then verify the connection information. But for the nook, you should setup the connect first (and it might not ask for it again).

At least that is my understanding of how it should work....

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Rasyr wrote:

According to the manual for the nook, you would need to manually configure a hotspot

from page 57 of the manual --

You can configure one or more Wi-Fi hotspots, irrespective of whether they broadcast their SSIDs. For example, you can configure Wi-Fi settings for a home network or the coffee shop around the corner. If you configure other Wi-Fi hotspots, your NOOK automatically connects to them.

Note: For a secured hotspot, you must provide the credentials needed to connect - the network name (SSID), security type, and security code.

So basically, you go to settings, go to Wi-Fi, and then setup the connection to the hotspot, and then you activate it. (note: once you do this, you may need to type the stuff in again when the browser loads).

Apparently that hotel's network is setup to allow you to connect and then verify the connection information. But for the nook, you should setup the connect first (and it might not ask for it again).

At least that is my understanding of how it should work....

With 1.3 some hotels,etc., which are semi open, will connect and then require you to enter a userid password comment in the Beta web browser.  Others still require you to setup first before you connect as you described.

Contributor
mal001
0 Kudos

Going to the browser and connecting to the credientials page is what I was expecting to do but the connection would disconnect before I could get to the page. I'll try setting up the hotspot first to see if it will hold the connection long enough to get to the browser page. I think part of the problem is that the hotel's service provider overrides the default homepage with their login page and that doesn't always happen until I refresh a couple times.

Thanks!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

I've only tried this once. Using the WiFi button on the main menu gave me the rapid disconnect. Going into Settings and using the WiFi menu option let me get through to set it up.

That could be coincidence, but I offer my one experience.

Frequent Contributor
harkinat0r
0 Kudos

Why don't you just use the 3G connection?  Do you really need to use the web browser on the Nook so badly that you need wifi?

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

harkinat0r wrote:

Why don't you just use the 3G connection?  Do you really need to use the web browser on the Nook so badly that you need wifi?

1- Not all areas have 3G coverage - I refer you to the infamous red and blue maps currently being used in certain phone company ads.

2 - Wifi is Faster even when you have 3G

3 - 3G/2G signals can be very weak and unstable in certain areas.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

According to the manual, this type of connection is supposed to be supported since  the inclusion of the web browser.

However, in practice it doesn't work very well because the nook shuts the wifi connection between the time you enable wifi, and the time you can launch the web.  And the web browser does not always allow the automatic reconnection of wifi connection.  It just sits there saying you have to enable wifi.

If you enable wifi first, select the hotspot, then let it disconnect, then launch the web browser and tap the link for your home page, it MIGHT attempt a re-connect.  

To do this, you need to set your home page to something on the web instead of the link to the browser help page.  That way will at least trigger it to try the web quickly. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SlaughterS wrote:

1- Not all areas have 3G coverage - I refer you to the infamous red and blue maps currently being used in certain phone company ads.

2 - Wifi is Faster even when you have 3G

3 - 3G/2G signals can be very weak and unstable in certain areas.

First, you don't need 3G coverage.  All you need is AT&T cellular data coverage.  EDGE is plenty fast enough for the daily, subscription deliver, and shopping.  I've purchased books driving down the highway in Nevada, far from any 3G.  You watch too many television ads without a critical eye.  ATT Edge is almost as fast as Verizon's so called 3G.

Second, wifi is not necessarily faster than 3G, especially in hotels where bandwidth is way overloaded.

Third, unless you are in a totally White Zone on the ATT Coverage map, anywhere there is a hotel that has wifi there will be more than good enough cell service.  It will be plenty stable enough for Shopping, book buying, and subscription delivery.  The nook is actually quite undemanding as far as cell service it you just give it time to do its job.

Frequent Contributor
rlarsen462
0 Kudos

Anyone managed to get it to work in Phoenix Skyharbor airport (they have free wifi, does the instant disconnect thing).  Kind of annoying, all you have to do is click a button on their push page, but the nook won't stay connected long enough to let you launch the browswer and do it.  :/

Contributor
mal001
0 Kudos

I actually got it to work at a different hotel. I did the standard connection thing by choosing a hotspot. It connected and then did something different. A new option appeared on the touchscreen to launch my browser. I chose that and it displayed the credentials page where I was able to enter the appropriate info. Then everything worked OK. The problem now is, why did it do that? It hasn't worked anywhere else.

Frequent Contributor
rlarsen462
0 Kudos

I have never seen it do that either.  Just disconnects right away.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

mal001 wrote:

I actually got it to work at a different hotel. I did the standard connection thing by choosing a hotspot. It connected and then did something different. A new option appeared on the touchscreen to launch my browser. I chose that and it displayed the credentials page where I was able to enter the appropriate info. Then everything worked OK. The problem now is, why did it do that? It hasn't worked anywhere else.

Did you get to the Wi-Fi configuration through the Wi-Fi button or through the Settings button?

I had one experience where I kept getting the "fast disconnect" when I went through the Wi-Fi button, but when I went through the Settings button I got the option to start the browser.

This could be related to something other than which button I used. I've only done this the once.