Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
CaThomas
0 Kudos

Worst purchase ever...coupled with the worst customer servie

3 months in...and I continue to have the same problem.  Every book I attempt to purchase results in an error message of either: "Unable to connect" or "Problem with payment."

Logged over 20 hours with tech support.  Keep getting told it is being set up to the "Development Team," and that they will call me within 24 hours...well, its been 30 DAYS.

By far, the worst customer service and worst product I have ever purchased.  BN keeps taking money for the books they have me order to test if the solution is fixed...but I never get the books.

The real kicker is that BN will not take ownership of the problem.  Reps have said I MUST be altering my credit card info...not so much.  Another bunch blamed the bank...not so much.

Not once, not ONCE has BN said, "Hey, this is our bad."  They even go so far as to deny ever hearing about this kind of problem.  Yet, this forum is riddled with others experiencing the same thing.

I think my next step is the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

Re: Worst purchase ever...coupled with the worst customer servie

Sorry you had such a horrible and atypical experience.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Rav_Bunneh wrote:

Sorry you had such a horrible and atypical experience.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Correspondent
dElaphant
0 Kudos

You can download the books you purchased onto your computer from the B&N web site, then manually copy them over to the nook. Which is exactly the same process you would need to follow if you bought from other eBook sellers.

So your complaint comes down to that the automatic download doesn't work - it's hardly something to get so irate about. Sure, it's annoying. But you're presenting this like you can't get the books you paid for, and that's not true.

But if what you're saying is that you get charged for the books and they  do not show up in your B&N account page on the web - then that's not a nook problem. It's a problem with your account. If you call customer support and tell them your nook is not working, you'll just confuse them. 

SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Had the nook for 3 months and , "Logged over 20 hours with tech support.", yet this is your first post to the primary online forum ? 

Have you tried to login to your account on a PC and see if you can read the books you purchased there?  http://my.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/ebookslibrary.html

That might tell you where the problem is.  If it is a Credit Card problem you will not have actually purchased the books and they will not be listed under your B&N account. 

Does this happen to all books, or just some ?

Is your 3G network coverage "spotty" in your area ?

Is your WiFi signal overriding it with its own weak signal ?

Does your Credit Card have a USA or Canadian billing address ? (not sure if simply a USA PO box works or not)

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@CaThomas,

I see that you Registered and Unregistered your NOOK several times the past couple of days.  Any particular reason for that?  Also, can you confirm that payment went through on these purchases?  Please PM me and I will work with you.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Correspondent
NanaLou
0 Kudos

I recently unregistered my nook and re-registered.  All of my books were listed, but I had to manually redownload each book on the nook.  If you need to redownload, use the touchscreen and select "My Library" then select the "View Item Details & Options" and there it will display either "Read" or "Download".  I am no expert but that worked for me. 

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

I would make the same suggestion that i made elsewhere. Make sure you have a default shipping address and a default billing method selected to the account your nook is register too. Sometimes people had more than 1 account on here and registered the nook to the wrong account and their card is not working or something.

But for sure check the default shipping location, it is a big deal for some reason, even though they are downloaded directly to the nook it is required.

Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If the nook was the worse purchase I ever made then I would be the happiest guy on the planet! Sometimes these technical issues are "PEBKAC" but this device has no keyboard and you don't have to sit in a chair to use it. We need a new expression!

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Re: Worst purchase ever...coupled with the worst customer service

I'm sorry you're having a hard time, I hope you're able to get it worked out and that you stick around and look into the advice you've been given in this thread.   I've always had a good experience with B&N's customer service and I would say that the nook has been my best purchase in a long time!  It's not perfect but has bought me many hours of enjoyment.

Linda

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Sometimes I wonder when I read these horror stories - how much of the problem is the user and not the product?  Many years ago I did customer service, and it was sometimes difficult to keep a pleasant attitude when the people calling for help were primarily responsible for their own problems.  I actually once got a commendation from our "monitoring" department that said "handles irate callers admirably."  Yay for me!  Nowadays, that I'm a cranky old curmudgeon...yeah, not so much.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

lol I have wondered that same thing.  I have worked phones with annoyed customers before....so many times I wanted to say "well sir if you had bothered to read ithe instructions, you wouldn't need me".  Alas, I could not, but I felt like it.  :smileyhappy:

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

I help with support on a commercial support forum and have for about 5 years. In that time, 99% of the problems come from not reading the manual. Short attention spanners have that problem mostly because they want to jump into the software and make it run. Not that this is the OP's source of the problem. I guess I'm getting to be a cranky curmudgeon as well.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

What is this "manual" which you speak of ?

:smileyhappy:

Seriously - as a developer I always figure that if your software needed a manual to explain it, then you failed as a developer.  But, who am I to talk, some people require instructions on how to use a ladder: Proper Use of Ladders

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

What is this "manual" which you speak of ?

:smileyhappy:

Seriously - as a developer I always figure that if your software needed a manual to explain it, then you failed as a developer.  But, who am I to talk, some people require instructions on how to use a ladder: Proper Use of Ladders

My iron came with a warning cautioning users not to iron clothes while they are being worn.

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

When Poptarts have step by step instructions and a helpline in case you can't figure it out....humankind has sunk to a sorry state of dependency indeed :smileyhappy:

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Inspired Contributor
BlueHairBob
0 Kudos

The classic, of course, was the instructions for toothpicks that drove "Wonko the Sane" to live outside in his house.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Um, way back in my high school days I tried to smooth out a few wrinkles with the iron after I put something on.  Dumb, very dumb.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Seriously, if you are having problems, this board is one of your best resources.  I was having trouble with downloading a book that I had gotten a sample of.  I e-mailed B&N CS.  I heard back within two days (that was when CS was ultra busy), but by then I had looked around the board and found what to do.

Be very specific when describing problems.  Many of the people on here have a lot of knowledge and experience and may be able to help you.