Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

You CAN change your NOOK color's battery with OUT voiding the warranty!

I was reading through the warranty in the User's Guide for the nook color and on page 92

http://img1.imagesbn.com/PImages/nook/encore/support/pdf/User_Guide_NOOKcolor.pdf

found this little gem:

"Please note that opening the back cover of your NOOKcolor to change the battery, external SD card or back cover will NOT void this limited warranty."   (emphasis MINE)

So unless they want to claim the word "not" is a misprint.....it seems they are giving folks the ability to change the battery without worrying about voiding the warranty.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Re: You CAN change your NOOK color's battery with OUT voiding the warranty!

Since it is not necessary to remove the back cover to change the 'external SD card' of the nookcolor it could mean that the bulk of the user guide for the nookcolor was copied from that of the nook and they missed that paragraph when proofreading.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

You could be correct...but it's the warranty that came with the unit, so mis-print or not, they have to abide by it.

They can certainly change it for newer units sold, but for those that have been sold with the current warranty statement...they can't change it without offering a 100% refund of your money.

AND, looking at another thread here, on the technical board, it seems at least one person has inadvertently slipped his SD card between the back and the SD card socket...and the SD card is now loose inside the back cover of his NOOKcolor.

---------
Don
Correspondent
htbyron

But has anyone succeeded in removing the back cover without damaging the device?  And has anyone determined whether the battery is soldered in place (which I would expect)?

I think your thread title is misleading and premature.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

I have read yes you can get to the battery.

On inside is like 10 screws for the shield plate that comes off.

Three cables to unplugged and no battery is not soldered in.

They said was doable. and had a 3.7v 4700mah battery.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Now all you have to do is find a battery! 

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

Just curious.  Read where and who are "they"?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

cbtengr wrote:

Now all you have to do is find a battery! 

Someone will make one.

Technically most GPS batteries aren't user-replaceable either, but Batteries Plus (and other stores, I'm sure) all have third party vendor batteries that work.  The 1G iPod batteries weren't user replaceable, but I bought a $10 (probably less) kit and changed it.  iPod has officially died, but that's not the point.

Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever

htbyron wrote:

But has anyone succeeded in removing the back cover without damaging the device?  And has anyone determined whether the battery is soldered in place (which I would expect)?

Bill Detwiler at TechRepublic did a complete photo essay of the NookColor teardown. And, the battery is a plugin, not soldered. Looks to me like all we need is the vendor/model number for the battery.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

We're not allowed to post links to other sites here....

But if you go to zdnet and look at the teardown, there is one picture of the battery itself including part numbers and specs.

---------
Don
Correspondent
htbyron
0 Kudos

Gtriever wrote:

htbyron wrote:

Bill Detwiler at TechRepublic did a complete photo essay of the NookColor teardown. And, the battery is a plugin, not soldered. Looks to me like all we need is the vendor/model number for the battery.

Thanks for that, and I retract my earlier comment.  I googled it and found the photos.  Very interesting.  I think it's worth quoting the conclusion:

The NOOKcolor was surprisingly easy to disassemble. It uses standard Torx T5 screws and none of the key components are soldered to the PCB. Despite the ease with which the NOOKcolor came apart, it really isn't a user-serviceable device.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

cbtengr wrote:

orb9220 wrote:

Just curious.  Read where and who are "they"?

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/nookcolor-teardown/487636

Shows how. And am sure in coming month's will be services or 3rd party batteries available like any other electronic device.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

It's 4000 mAh, not 4700 but yes, 3.7v (according to the picture on zdnet)

---------
Don
New User
95gtscort
0 Kudos

Are you sure you read that correctly? I read it on mine and it does not say that. I also clicked the link that you provided and it says that IT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

Yeah, OP needs to read that page again: it says it WILL void the warranty, unless you are using a customer accessible opening. The SD card slot has one, but the battery does not.
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Just two things, If I had a Nookcolor I wouldn't take the risk of breaking my device by unscrewing it.  

Secondly, Why exactly would you want to get to battery in the first place?  It's just not worth the risk to try since as others have stated that will void your warranty so if you do break your nookcolor now you out of 250 dollars.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

Better question - why is this thread on the nook forum & not the nookcolor forum?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

ellsbells930 wrote:

Better question - why is this thread on the nook forum & not the nookcolor forum?

Because it was created before the creation of the NOOKColor forum and had been dead long enough at that time that no Admin saw/moved it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

Because it was created before the creation of the NOOKColor forum and had been dead long enough at that time that no Admin saw/moved it.

... even if there WERE still Administrators doing basic adminstrative chores like that!  :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
tech6
0 Kudos

This is not a true statement. You will void your warranty at least that was what I was told by customer service after removing my cover only to retrieve my SD card out of the slot. I was told the only battery that can be removed is the one from the first generation Nook, not the color nook. See my post here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Out-of-curiosity-what-voids-the...