Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
SeaBrzFL
0 Kudos

You CAN use your Gift Cards for non-ebook purchases

I've seen several posts complaining that they could not use their BN gift cards (specifically the recent $50 card) for purchases other than e-books. Unfortunately, I could not reply until now, but I knew that my BN bookseller told me differently, so today I did some investigating.

As stated on the back of the gift card - "This gift card can be used to purchase any product or a Barnes & Noble membership at any Barnes & Noble store nationwide or on www.bn.com."

I think the confusion stems from registering the card on B&N with your e-book account, but this is ONLY so that the gift card is charged before your registered online credit card for e-book purchases.

If you log into your BN account and check the new "show me my e-book credit balance" it even states there:

Gift Cards/eGift Cards/Online Gift Certificates entered will be used for the purchase of eBooks and single issue eMagazines and eNewspapers only. Any balance on your Gift Card(s) will be automatically applied before your default credit card is charged. You can still use your Gift Cards/eGift Cards/Online Gift Certificates for purchases that are not eBooks - just enter them during checkout or use them in our stores.

Obviously you have to have your gift card in front of you because you have to provide that number and pin at checkout, but I used some of my $50 nook incentive card for non-ebook purchases without a problem.

I didn't actually purchase a nook cover so are some of you getting specific restrictions from purchasing nook accessories? If so, that should not be the case according to the guidelines above and definitely worth a call to customer service.

~SB

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Re: You CAN use your Gift Cards for non-ebook purchases

I believe everyone wasn't refurring to gift cards but B&N Membership discounts.  Could be wrong tho!!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

JdiennoPSU wrote:

I believe everyone wasn't refurring to gift cards but B&N Membership discounts.  Could be wrong tho!!

Most of it was that AND having to still have a default credit card on file in order to purchase and download an ebook.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Yeah I remember everyone was complaining about having to have a card on file.  Makes sense that not everyone has a credit/debit card.  Also makes sense on B&N standpoint that the best thing to use for DRM is something so important no one would want to give to other people except trusted family members.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.