Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Michael-V

You asked, we listened: NOOK 1.5 Update is Coming!

[ Edited ]

You asked, we listened: NOOK 1.5 Update is Coming!

In our biggest update since we launched NOOK a year ago, we will dramatically increase NOOK 3G and NOOK Wi-Fi‘s page turn speed and deliver the features and performance enhancements most-requested from all of you! 

The 1.5 update includes improved search on the device, customized B&N Library organization and password protection. It also includes the ability to sync across all NOOK and all devices enabled with our free NOOK apps, by syncing your last page read. If you forget your NOOK at home, use the NOOK app for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Android smartphone or PC to pick up where you left off. And, the next time you pick up your NOOK, the Reading Now page will be updated and ready to go.

The NOOK 1.5 software update is expected to be available late next month via Wi-Fi or manual download at www.NOOK.com/support

In other NOOK news, NOOK for Android will also be getting an updated -- expected later this week. NOOK for Android v2.3 includes many customer-requested features including the ability to “Go To” a specific page number, search within a book, view highlights and notes, delete books from the library, plus an updated home screen and enhancements to make reading and managing side-loaded content easier. Learn more about NOOK for Android at www.bn.com/nookforandroid and download the app from an Android device by searching “NOOK” in the Android Marketplace.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: You asked, we listened: NOOK 1.5 Update is Coming!

Great news Michael.  Thanks . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Contributor
Aueien
0 Kudos

Sound great.

"customized B&N Library organization and password protection."

what about the my documents folder?

inquiring minds want to know.

and again, thanks for the update.

Inspired Correspondent
Debh366

Thank you for the news, I'm looking forward to it!

I hope we have new games to look forward to as well!  :smileyhappy:

Debbie

´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Contributor
JeremyBouma

Firmware 1.5 CONFIRMED!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/nook-firmware-update-set-to-roll-out-next-month/18995

From ZDNet

"Good news, Nook owners. Barnes & Noble has announced that a firmware update for the e-book reader will be made available in November.

Software Update version 1.5 is promised to be the “biggest update yet” since the Nook launched in 2009. Available for both the 3G and Wi-Fi-only versions, the upgrade should alleviate one of the biggest complaints about the Nook: page turn speed.

Other refreshes include improved search, password protection and the ability to read continuously across all devices enabled with the Nook e-reader application.

A specific launch date hasn’t been announced yet except that it will “be available late next month.”"

I'll be interesting to see the final list of goodies for us smiley

SOOO glad I didn't wait and just bought my nook a month ago. I simply LOVE my nook!!

-jeremy

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Sounds terrific !!  I especially like the custom organization of my B&N library,  it drives me nuts to see my series books out of order!

Linda

Frequent Contributor
FeralWriter
0 Kudos

Awesome!  They had me at library organization.  Page turn speed improvements--unexpected and quite welcome.

Way to delight your customers.  Can't wait for the download.

Frequent Contributor
TheAntiChick
0 Kudos

WOOOOHOOOOO!  I'd love to see a full enhancements list with screen shots, and I'd rather it be here today than in 4-6 weeks... but it's been a long time coming, and I'm thrilled to have official word about it!

kp1
Frequent Contributor
kp1
0 Kudos

Yay syncing!!

Contributor
Pugsnot
0 Kudos

so does "customized B&N Library organization" mean we will be able to make our own folders and then organize the books inside each folder the way we want?

Contributor
Halston12
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael!

I certainly appreciate B&N listening and responding to our requests. I know a lot of peeps are going to be very happy about Library organization.

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

Yay! So excited to be able to organize my library.:smileyhappy:

Thanks, Michael and B&N!

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Frequent Contributor
CalicoPete
0 Kudos

I hope the library organization includes "my documents."
Oh and eh, ARRR!!!
Contributor
Ryan_phx

[ Edited ]

If the new "organization" only works with B&N content, and doesn't allow organization of the My Documents folder, I guess I'm going to have to learn how to softroot. I'll withhold judgment on any new system until I see it for myself.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

Thank you, sounds good!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ryan_phx wrote:

If the new "organization" only works with B&N content, it's not that useful, is it? 

Why would B&N encourage people to shop elsewhere - which is exactly what making My Documents searchable/organized does.  I would bet they are holding onto developing/releasing this feature until they absolutely can't wait any longer.

The easier "My Library" is to use and the less easy "My Documents" is, well, that only urges people to buy at B&N.  That's ultimately B&N's goal, isn't it?  To make money?

We can want that change all day long, but I don't think we'll get it until B&N feels they absolutely MUST release it.  

I hope V1.5 proves my thought process wrong, but logically, why would they do it?

{Edited for spelling error.  An embarrassing one, at that.}

Contributor
jeff123
0 Kudos

Does it support folders for organizing books on SD card ???

Contributor
jeff123
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Ryan_phx wrote:

If the new "organization" only works with B&N content, it's not that useful, is it? 

Why would B&N encourage people to shop elsewhere - which is exactly what making My Documents searchable/organized does.  I would bet they are holding onto developing/releasing this feature until they absolutely can't wait any longer.

The easier "My Library" is to use and the less easy "My Documents" is, well, that only urges people to buy at B&N.  That's ultimately B&N's goal, isn't it?  To make money?

We can want that change all day long, but I don't think we'll get it until B&N feels they absolutely MUSTS release it.  

I hope V1.5 proves my thought process wrong, but logically, why would they do it?

Well a lot of the books on my SD Card are IBM Manuals and with over 24 pages of them it is very annonying. The IBM Manuals are provided by IBM for free, so B&N is not loosing any revenue yet, but when it comes time to purchase another reader and this is an issue, I will not be buying another one.

Contributor
Goatcabin
0 Kudos

Hooray!

I'm hoping that improved highlighting/notetaking is an additional, unheralded feature in this update...but I'm still excited for this software progress.

Distinguished Correspondent
kc5455
0 Kudos

Thank you for the great new Michael!!!:smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
__Dr. Seuss