Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
BelgianAlien

Re: You asked, we listened: NOOK 1.5 Update is Coming!

Is it the end of November yet?

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

BelgianAlien wrote:

Is it just me or are there other out there who feel it's a little premature to be complaining about the update already? I say let's wait for it to be released next month and see what is all included. 

I rather suspect that B&N announced it a month early precisely so that we would discuss it.

If they did not want early opinions based on their statements they would not have released that statement, or would have made it much more informative.

They want to see what the reaction is to the limited set of features they have announced.

So I respectfully disagree with your call for silence on this issue, and suggest being quiet would be counter productive both to B&N and our own wishes.  

If they didn't want the feed back they would not have posted any announcement.

Inspired Contributor
Jasini
0 Kudos

And then they can keep us talking by issuing more information every week or so.

BelgianAlien
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

I rather suspect that B&N announced it a month early precisely so that we would discuss it.

If they did not want early opinions based on their statements they would not have released that statement, or would have made it much more informative.

They want to see what the reaction is to the limited set of features they have announced.

So I respectfully disagree with your call for silence on this issue, and suggest being quiet would be counter productive both to B&N and our own wishes.  

If they didn't want the feed back they would not have posted any announcement.

Point taken... that's a possibility as well.

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

BelgianAlien wrote:

Point taken... that's a possibility as well.

The other thing is that I suspect they have fixed a ton of bugs.  Wifi, Power, lockups, battery drain, excessive radio on time, out-of-the-blue factory restores, etc.

You generally don't headline the bugs in any such announcement, (especially since they haven't admitted there are any). :smileywink:

I'm hoping for a good solid bug free release.  I just hope it arrives while my nook is still in warranty, because I was one of the first customers shipped.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I do think it's silly of us to complain about what's *not* there when we don't even know it's *not* there.  I totally get the sentiment.

From a practical standpoint, I'm sure their reasoning for the announcement is precisely to gauge reaction to whatever they consider the big talking points.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, regardless of what's actually in the update, I for one am pleased at the announcement. Thanks Michael - it's nice to actually pinpoint an approximate date and know when it's coming. At this point, some sort of minimal search function in My Docs is all I expect so I don't think I'll be disappointed with this update. You take what you can get :smileytongue:. Once that happens, I'm probably going to sideload all my B&N books too and have a combined library - book segregation is just mean :smileytongue:.

I guess this defnitively puts to rest the weird rumor I heard months ago about an improved PDF reader coming soon. Also, no mention of improvements in notes/highlights. Oh well, the grapes were probably sour anyway :smileyvery-happy:

The cake is a lie.
Frequent Contributor
EscapistFL
0 Kudos

I agree with you icebike. We should state our opinions. They need to know.

I am grateful B&N finally made an announcement, but I would be dissappointed if there isn't more than what was announced. A big improvement in the note taking/highlighting area is badly needed in my opinion.

I will now wait patiently. :smileyindifferent:

Frequent Contributor
Tammke

Michael-V wrote:

The 1.5 update includes improved search on the device, customized B&N Library organization and password protection.

I really hope that the improved Library organization includes being able to organize sideloaded content and not just the B&N Documents.  The other improvements sound nice, but library organization for my entire library is my no. 1 must have improvement.

BelgianAlien
0 Kudos

When it comes to the library organization, I want to find out more details or even wait until I've gotten to play around with it to comment on it. 

As many have stated here and on Facebook, I hope the list of updates included in the announcement was a partial one. But then again, I would rather see less updates and have those updates be good and bug free than a long list of updates which end up not working properly. 

That all being said, my nook still does best what I bought it for... reading. Regardless of many wants and "would likes", as long as I can read my books on my nook, I shall be happy.... I think. 

-----------
Frequent Contributor
rictx
0 Kudos

Glad to hear about the update and thanks for letting us know about it. That said I will be in the market to add a 3rd e-reader to my family the first of the year (have 2 nooks atm) the 1 think about the nook I hate is organization and having 2 seperate lists for my books, If this is not fixed in this update I do not think my next ereader will be another nook. I got the nook becouse i could get books from any where and not just 1 place and B&N making us have 2 lists on a single device is stupid and when they make there stuff work better and dont fix the rest it tells me alot about who I want be a customer of.

Saint_Nookolas

Wow.  Now I'm torn between the heightened drama of "wanting to know," or, the oblivious bliss of "not wanting to know" about a pending 1.5 release!  Red pill or blue pill?...hmmm  :smileywink: 
I agree that all enhancements should be equally applicable between BN and My Documents libraries.  Streaming or downloaded internet audio would be good too.  RSS news feeds and oops...almost turned this into the pre-existing threads of 1.5 Wishlists!  
Oh well, I guess we will have to reserve judgment about the leaked features until we actually see what comes to fruition.
Ahem.This will be a wonderful opportunity for personal growth as, together, we all re-learn how to exercise patience in our modern society of instant gratification....right?....right?....hello?
(Arrrghhhh, I can't take it!!!  Someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :smileysurprised:
OK, St. Nook, focus:  "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..." :smileyindifferent:

Frequent Contributor
EscapistFL
0 Kudos

St Nook, you have me ROFL!

Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

I also hope for My Documents organization.  Currently the nook is just as organized as my home physical book library, which means I can't find anything.  :-)

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Frequent Contributor
crafty4life
0 Kudos

Thank you BN for the heads up about the update-it gives something fun to look forward to!

It is exciting that the company is taking steps to keep our concerns in mind to make this a better product.  This is really great news about the password protection-really glad to hear this as there are several advantages there.  Being able to organize the library would be great too-like to keep series or books by same author together.  It will be fun to see if there are other goodies in the update.  I was very pleased and surprised when one of the prior updates offered games.  Nice bonus for those of us who want to use it.  It would be great to have a few more options there too.  And I have to give them credit for letting us know in advance-not only is there excitement generated--some people are already happier just knowing that change is coming!  Thanks BN!

Saint_Nookolas
0 Kudos

Thanks for helping learn something new, Escapist!  

At first, I thought you had "barfed on a waffle" (rhymes with ROFL) but a quick Google search, now has me cool, hip, and up-to-speed on the latest internet lingo!  Ha (ancient term for LOL).  :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
borges
0 Kudos

These "most-requested" features appear to address absolutely nothing that I wanted.

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

I am definitely happy with what has been announced as far as what will be available in the new upgrade!!  My biggest request was the ability for better organization.  I would rather see a few things that work well and a good smooth download, than alot of things that don't work well and a buggy download.

Thank you Barnes and Noble!!!!  I will now wait patiently for the end of November to get here!!

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Frequent Contributor
Beren
0 Kudos

Has there been any indication about note-taking and PDF functions? I know I've been waiting with bated breath, at the very least, for the ability to view all my annotations in one place and export them (or at leasc sync them with the Nook for PC or Nookstudy software). I'm excited about the update, but if the note-taking functions aren't there, it'll be quite a letdown for me (not that I think my desires should be the standard by which firmware upgrades are created!).

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

rictx wrote:

Glad to hear about the update and thanks for letting us know about it. That said I will be in the market to add a 3rd e-reader to my family the first of the year (have 2 nooks atm) the 1 think about the nook I hate is organization and having 2 seperate lists for my books, If this is not fixed in this update I do not think my next ereader will be another nook. I got the nook becouse i could get books from any where and not just 1 place and B&N making us have 2 lists on a single device is stupid and when they make there stuff work better and dont fix the rest it tells me alot about who I want be a customer of.

I would think that it will stay as two separate libraries primarily because the B&N library syncs with your account online, so books bought from other sources wouldn't be in your online library, but in the library on the Nook.  However, perhaps they could find someway to keep them separate behind the scenes but show in one list as far as the user is concerned.

Now, I wonder if the organization is going to be folder based or tagging?

And has anyone noticed that Michael-V's post now says Stacy25?