Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

Re: You need Wifi hotspot to use the browser: Ridiculous !!!

You are confusing "underexpecting" with being realistic which is my intent anyway.  Had you not used the word "ridiculous" in your title and blamed B&N for not allowing access, people may have taken you more seriously.  Anyway, the bottom line is the networks pretty much control access, and AT&T has issues with their network as it is.  

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

GeoffreyF wrote:

mdd25

Kindle does not provide the feature as you describe, at least not for free.  I think the nooks features are better than the Kindle, that's why I bought a Nook.

What did she state that Kindle does not provide for free?  I pay no fee for using the web browser on the Kindle.  I can browse other sites adn download content form other ebook sellers.  Not once have I ever received a charge for either.  That said, I don't expect B&N to allow the same.  As was already mentioned, they do not have the ability to eat costs as much as Amazon does.

Correspondent
crim_crazy622
0 Kudos

Do you have a family plan with AT&T? 

"

Family Data Unlimited

With Family Data Unlimited, you get unlimited access to the mobile Web, search, email, apps and more. Get directions, listen to music, download games and TV clips from your top shows. Get unlimited access to your favorite web sites like CNN, ESPN®, MySpace®, Facebook®, YouTube™, Yahoo!® and more...as often as you'd like!

Messaging Unlimited for Families required; otherwise $15/month. Family Data Unlimited is available on a per line basis; it is not shared among the FamilyTalk group."

You might want to check into it! It might save you some money!!!

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining." ~Dave Matthews ~
Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

mdd25 wrote:

Lastly, as far as the monthly charge is concerned, B&N does make a profit from the books that we buy ..

That sounds like a valid point except for one thing...so far, B&N has made no money from the sale of their ebooks to me.  I'm using my nook almost exclusively for free library ebooks.  With Kindle, that is not an option.  So, the cost of selling overpriced older novels to their Kindle customers might be a way that Amazon is able to afford to provide 3G web browsing.

For me, I appreciate the WiFi option, but don't see myself using it very often.  But if having the option of buying my books from multiple distributors (and especially getting books for free from the library) means I can't use 3G for web browsing, I'm still a happy camper.

Oh, and AT&T charges $30 for data?  I'm surprised by that.  For the past 5 years, I've been paying $20 through Alltel and then Verizon and I'm in one of those places that gets great 3G whereas AT&T is spotty.

Correspondent
crim_crazy622
0 Kudos

I just found you can't do this with a "smart phone". 

Which is silly but I guess that's life!

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining." ~Dave Matthews ~
Frequent Contributor
Gwynne
0 Kudos

DiAnneInDover wrote:

mdd25 wrote:

Lastly, as far as the monthly charge is concerned, B&N does make a profit from the books that we buy ..

That sounds like a valid point except for one thing...so far, B&N has made no money from the sale of their ebooks to me.  I'm using my nook almost exclusively for free library ebooks.  With Kindle, that is not an option.  So, the cost of selling overpriced older novels to their Kindle customers might be a way that Amazon is able to afford to provide 3G web browsing.

For me, I appreciate the WiFi option, but don't see myself using it very often.  But if having the option of buying my books from multiple distributors (and especially getting books for free from the library) means I can't use 3G for web browsing, I'm still a happy camper.

Oh, and AT&T charges $30 for data?  I'm surprised by that.  For the past 5 years, I've been paying $20 through Alltel and then Verizon and I'm in one of those places that gets great 3G whereas AT&T is spotty.

This.  I will happily take the ability to download and read books from multiple distribution channels on my Nook and sacrifice 3G browsing.

I bought my Nook to READ on, not to browse the web.  I have yet to even try the browser yet, because my Nook doesn't particular like my WiFi network.  I'm going to my local BN Monday, and will likely try it out then, but probably won't use it much as I can't see it being all that conducive for what I'm online for anyway.

I chose the Nook because I do not like Amazon's ridiculous DRM restrictions, not to mention their already known heavy-handed practices, such as cancelling customer's accounts for non-Kindle related returns.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

You need Wifi hotspot to use the Web Browser - Smart Decision B&N

mdd25 wrote:

I read through these posts and found very few people stating facts and heard a lot of people just "under expecting". The fact is that Kindle offers such a capability in their browser and why is it so "crazy" to expect the same from Nook. As far as following Kindle's foot steps is concerned, as a nook user I do expect at least the good features of Kindle. Also, negotiating a good bargain for Nook users with AT&T is B&N's responsibility because they want us to continue using the Nook and attract more people to their product.

Secondly, I mentioned in my original post that I realize that this might put some additional strain on their network, so as someone mentioned, why not give just the text only internet. Remember the old cell phones used to have text only internet. They didn't download gigabytes of data and put tons of strain on networks..

Lastly, as far as the monthly charge is concerned, B&N does make a profit from the books that we buy and they can use advertising just as Apple does when it gives apps for free. That's their competitive edge over Ipad. Free text only internet (may be with advertisements)...

THIS was so important you had to post it twice???

B&N hopefully does make a profit, that is the reason they are in business...  As is AT&T...

Putting full blown, unlimited 3G on the nook is not an advertising cost, don't know where you got that!

Where do you go that you don't have a B&N or McDonald's available?  They both have free wifi, I'd much rather this option than be stuck with 3G which is Kindles only option.

As to iPhone apps, research a little before you post, Apple doesn't offer than for free, the developer determines the price of the app, not Apple.

Lastly, I don't think you are going to find many websites that want to revert to the "good old days" and develop text only websites for nook users.