Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

audiobooks for the Nooks---where to buy mp3s?

I’m looking for mp3 audiobooks for my Nooks. 

Who sells the mp3 downloadable books? BN has a few mp3 downloads, but not what I'm looking for.

I want straight mp3 downloads to avoid doing conversions, stripping, or burning to cd, etc..

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

Kel

Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

Re: audiobooks for the Nooks---where to buy mp3s?

[ Edited ]

Thank you for presenting this thread -- it prompted me to search on Google under mp3 audiobooks and came up with audible.com - sounds like a good site --

The interesting thing is it appears to be owned by amazon.  Thinking of signing up - once a month can get a book free with subscription.  Have only looked at the site briefly, but so far so good.

Okay, overlooked that BN has MP3 audiobooks as well. 

Zola

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Reader 2
DouglasMA
0 Kudos

I agree with Zola.  I use 'Audible.com" it's great.  No contract and for $14.95 a month you get one book each month and then 30% off their low member prices.  You also get a free book to try out when you join.

Frequent Contributor
reba115
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have a library card from FLOP and they have mp3 audiobooks along with ebooks.  But they are loaned to you and are for your use for 21 days only.  Just like a public library book. ps- I sideload them using ade.

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

As far as I know, Audible.com books won't work with the Nooks.  I'll see if I can edit my post above.

Audible is owned by Amazon.  Audible has something in their audiobook drm or mp3 that doesn't allow for the mp3 to work on the Nook.  I have an email in to audible's customer service confirm that hasn't changed any.

I'm open to other audiobook resources.  I can use my library, but some of the books I'd like to keep.

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

I had an account with audible.com when they didn't work with my Zune. I had to download onto computer. burn cds, then load to my Zune. I would assume you can do the same for the Nook.  The deals are great on audible.com, but it does take a lot of work.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

mp3s from the library, down loaded through overdrive do work on the nook. If not than I have been having audible hallucinations.  Overdrive has a free downloadable program for them. Download the program than the mp3 book and side load it into your nook.  

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Inspired Contributor
Paginate
0 Kudos

I've bought a number of audiobooks from Books on Board for my nook without any difficulty.

Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

kellar wrote:

As far as I know, Audible.com books won't work with the Nooks.  I'll see if I can edit my post above.

Audible is owned by Amazon.  Audible has something in their audiobook drm or mp3 that doesn't allow for the mp3 to work on the Nook.  I have an email in to audible's customer service confirm that hasn't changed any.

I'm open to other audiobook resources.  I can use my library, but some of the books I'd like to keep.

I apologize - you are so right (as of January 3, 2011 7:07 am MST).  I just got off the phone with audible.com and they told me - that nooks are not supported "and I quote"  because BN is looking to set up a business like theirs.  I got angry and spouted back that, no, that was not the case - it was because Amazon wants to be another Gates/Microsoft.  They want a corner on the market and they are not going to get it with my assistance.

Now, my question is, has anyone sideloaded a book from audible.com to the nook or nookcolor and how did you do it.

Zola

Frequent Contributor
reba115
0 Kudos

oops.  I meant to say I download mp3 audio books from the Free Lib of Philadelphia using Overdrive.  Not ade.  Sorry for making more confusion. 

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

I heard back from Audible’s customer service this morning with a lengthy email extolling the virtues of their audiobooks that use their proprietary .AA formatting.  Summing it up.  They have modified the mp3 file and drm with the blessing of the publishers.  Must use their proprietary software in order to use the books.  The AA adds functionality to the books, but gives them them exclusivity. As you said, Amazon owns Audible, so of course BN wouldn’t add audible books on Nooks.  Googling mp3 audiobooks  brings up audible.com and its variant websites.   Audible is rather deceptive with the search engines.  It’s not a mp3 at all after they get though doctoring it.  It’s a .AA. 

I hope BN will have their own version of audible before long and make audiobooks available for nook owners. 

Options for the Nook use: 1) Strip audible’s.aa and drm, then do the conversions, 2) Buy WMA, strip and convert, 3)  Root the Nook to access Audible and lose my warranty, or 4)  Wait, because I don’t want to jump though so many hoops.

I don’t want to work this hard to legally buy audiobooks for my nooks.    Losing sales.

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

Thanks, but I want to keep the audiobooks, not borrow. 

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

I did look on BoB last week, and all the books I'm looking for are only available there in WMA format. I would have to learn how to do the drm stripping and converting which I don't want to do.

Contributor
Wyldhare
0 Kudos

Try The Audio Bookstore. http://www.theaudiobookstore.com. They say their books will play on an MP3 player, so that would imply no DRM.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

Barnes and Noble sells mp3 audiobooks. I bought "Surprised by Joy" by C.S. Lewis and have been listening to it. It loaded on my Nook via Overdrive to satisfy whatever DRM parameters were in place, but it was problem free.

Contributor
ddpicard
0 Kudos

I have a suggestion. A few years ago I was looking for audio books and started doing some searching. I came across Old Time Radio Shows from the 40's and 50's. You might give some them a shot. I got hooked and I have been collecting ever since.

You can find sites on the net that sell them and then there is archive.org that has them free for download. Not sure if I can post the link but I will try. http://www.archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

I know these are not audiobooks but they are very entertaining to listen to.

ddpicard

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

(I would also just add that the Nook is not the greatest audiobook device you'll have ever used, because it does not remember your place in the book. Additionally, everytime I turn my Nook off, it resets itself to the highest volume level. This makes for quite a jolt if I forget to turn it down before pressing play.)

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

@ wyldhare Try The Audio Bookstore. http://www.theaudiobookstore.com. They say their books will play on an MP3 player, so that would imply no DRM.

Nice Try.  theaudiobookstore is yet another derivitive of audible, therefore no go for nooks.  When you click on the buy button, it takes you to audible. Not compatible with nooks unless you've rooted it and put on audible's software. Too much work for me.

I'll just wait until the older historicals go to mp3 on BN. Books On Board has most of them on WMA. 

Overdrive has a retail site, but WMA format for all the books I want.  I'm out of luck for now.

Thanks all.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Gutenberg Project also has some classics as audiobooks in mp3 format. Some are human-read and others are machine-read. But they do seem to work on all of my audio devices.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!