Inspired Contributor
skinny12
0 Kudos

battery not charging

[ Edited ]

When I connect the Nook to my pc and eject it, the Nook will not charge while connected to the wall charger. I have tried unplugging the Nook from the wall charger then turning it off and back on then plugging in again. All that happens is that the light comes on but the little + sign does not appear in the battery level indicator. Any suggestions on how to fix this or has anyone else had that problem? I cannot sit here all night trying to get it to work by turning it off and on and waiting for it to finally register. Thanks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: battery not charging

@skinny12

Are you sure that it's not charging just because the "+" doesn't appear?

If the amber light stays on, try leaving it plugged in for about a half hour, and see whether the "Battery Charge" number on the Settings page goes up.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Contributor
skinny12
0 Kudos

I didn't leave it sit that long. If I do not see the + sign within a few seconds I unplug it and shut it down and start it back up. After doing this a few times it finally displayed the + and I let it be. I went back and checked it to make sure it was indeed charging by checking the Settings page. It is good to go now but I wonder why it does that? I am not real good with electronics and if my Nook doesn't charge right I start freaking out about it. Thanks.

ABthree
0 Kudos

@skinny12

I find the "+" sign generally to be a less reliable indicator than the amber light that my Nook is charging.  Remember, your Nook should go to sleep during the charging process, so the "+" sign by definition will not show. 

If the amber light is on and the numbers are increasing on the Settings page, you're in the clear. :smileyhappy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Contributor
skinny12
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ABthree wrote:

@skinny12

I find the "+" sign generally to be a less reliable indicator than the amber light that my Nook is charging.  Remember, your Nook should go to sleep during the charging process, so the "+" sign by definition will not show. 

If the amber light is on and the numbers are increasing on the Settings page, you're in the clear. :smileyhappy:

Ok, I have my Nook set for the sleep mode to kick on after 20 minutes. Do I need to change that when I charge it? If I leave it as is it will go to sleep in the 20 minutes that I have it set at so the battery charge indicator will be/is visible.

I remember one time that I let the Nook charge overnight and the light was on. The next morning I checked it and the light was still on and it had not charged at all during the night. I took it to work with me along with the cable and plugged it into my computer at work and it charged. That is why I do not go by the charging light and I do rely on the + sign.

Correspondent
snowfireangel
0 Kudos

I didn't even know there WAS a + sign!  I always check the amber light and that's it.

ABthree
0 Kudos

snowfireangel wrote:

I didn't even know there WAS a + sign!  I always check the amber light and that's it.

Like snowfireangel said.  :smileyhappy:

Skinny12, I think that you're overthinking this whole thing, buddy.  The "+" sign is intended as a helpful graphical signal, that is all.  It seems to have become unhelpful for you -- so ignore it.    It is not one of the Seven Seals of the Apocalypse:  worlds will not be won or lost based on its appearance or failure to appear.

If your Nook is plugged in and the amber light is on, take it for granted that you're in the tall cotton unless you get evidence to the contrary, consisting of your "Charge" number not going up. 

In that case, call Customer Service, choose Option 2 for Digital Support, and tell them that you're having charging problems.  They should be able to help you. 

-- St. Basil the Great+
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

snowfireangel wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. <g> I had to pug mine in and look for it!

LisaB

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

snowfireangel wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. <g> I had to pug mine in and look for it!

LisaB

Same here. I never thought to ever check for a little charging icon on my nook. I just always check to make sure the amber light is on. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for that little light to pop on but it always does eventually. I tend to just plug it in and forget about it. :smileyhappy:

Fran

Inspired Contributor
skinny12
0 Kudos

I would like to plug it in and worry about it but I have already had the experience that relying on the amber light alone does not mean it is charging. Like I mentioned above I plugged it in over night once and it did not charge. I am glad that you fine people have not had the same problem and I wish that I didn't. I will continue to look for the + in the battery icon when it is plugged in to make sure it is charging.

BN_Rick

[ Edited ]

A yellow LED indicates charge is in effect. A fully discharged NOOK will turn on after charging  for about 5 minutes. Please note, the NOOK must either be on or in sleep mode to charge. 

Wall charging is faster then USB charging. Approximate charging times from fully discharged to fully charged are:

Wall charger: 3.5 hours 

USB charger: 6 hours

If you are still not getting a charge please contact our Digital Support team. Please call 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), Monday through Friday from 8AM to 11:00PM EST, Saturdays and Sundays 9AM to 11:00PM and select option 2 for Digital Support. If you are contacting us from outside the United States, please call 201-559-3882.