Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
GonnaTri
0 Kudos

Re: borrowing books from the public library

I've tried to download ebooks from 2 different libraries, but i'm having some problems.  From one library, it appears i have the book on my Nook, but when I go to open it it says "This book has been returned.  Loan not on record", but I didn't do anything to return the book.  Not sure why that is not working.

Problem #2 from a different library I am using Calibre, but I get the error that states "Could not convert 1 of 1 books, because no suitable source format was found." 

Any help would be appreciated.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

GonnaTri wrote:

From one library, it appears i have the book on my Nook, but when I go to open it it says "This book has been returned.  Loan not on record", but I didn't do anything to return the book.  Not sure why that is not working.

Problem #2 from a different library I am using Calibre, but I get the error that states "Could not convert 1 of 1 books, because no suitable source format was found." 

The first one says that either your borrowing period expired, or you returned the e-book early through Adobe Digital Editions. You'd probably remember returning it, so it's probably that your check-out time is used up.

You can't convert library e-books because they're protected by DRM. Calibre can't display or convert DRM-protected e-books.

Frequent Contributor
Hoiya
0 Kudos

This is a great feature and I've enjoyed using it with my public library (Charlotte, NC).  I've checked out and read 6-7 books this way and have read several titles I wouldn't have otherwise.  Unfortunately, because of the economy, our county is slashing funding to the libraries in half.  They are just scraping by to even keep branches open.  At this point it sounds like they may not be buying any new books, physical or digital, anytime in the near future.  :smileysad:

New User
newways2read
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information.  Just went online and ordered a library card.  Don't have my Nook yet but am getting my ducks in a row prior to obtaining it.

We live in Weatherford, Texas  and our library doesn't have ebooks so this information is invaluable.

Frequent Contributor
GonnaTri
0 Kudos

Thank you all for all your help.  Finally got it going.  I'm a constant user of the library so its great to get this feature working.

Frequent Contributor
psjcal
0 Kudos

Hoiya wrote:

Unfortunately, because of the economy, our county is slashing funding to the libraries in half.  They are just scraping by to even keep branches open.  At this point it sounds like they may not be buying any new books, physical or digital, anytime in the near future.  :smileysad:

This is also true in CA; seems to be one of the first places municipalities cut budgets. My favorite historical/genealogical library in Nevada City, CA is now open only a few hours on Fridays. In the past it was open Tuesday - Saturday 9-5. It's no longer worth the trip. :smileysad:

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

@newwaystoread - Go over to Arlington.  Library cards are free to Texas residents, and they have a nice selection. arlingtontx.lib.overdrive.com

Inspired Contributor
book_werm
0 Kudos

@Frog_Alum:  Just wanted to let you know I found a gold mine!  Los Angeles Public Library just converted to ePub!  It just happened in the last week, I think - I periodically check.  A quick search by format turned up over 2200 books!

And I'm off to get my library card from my nearby branch before work.  :-)

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

book_werm wrote:

@Frog_Alum:  Just wanted to let you know I found a gold mine!  Los Angeles Public Library just converted to ePub!  It just happened in the last week, I think - I periodically check.  A quick search by format turned up over 2200 books!

@book_werm

THANK YOU!  There are over 3,300 now in fiction and over 1,400 in non-fiction!

New User
supernaff
0 Kudos

How do I delete the icon/shortcut thingy off of my Nook after the library book has been returned?  The book's contents are already gone but the cover picture is still there.

Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

Borrowing from the Anne Arundel County (Md.) Public Library System (AACPLS)

For those who may be interested in borrowing e-books from the AACPLS (accessible via the Maryland Digital eLibrary Consortium), eligibility rules are:

• Anyone who lives in Maryland can get a card
  • The following categories of out-of-state residents are eligible to borrow Anne Arundel County Public Library materials (and that includes using downloadable audio or ebooks):
  1. Property owners in Maryland, e.g., summer residence owners, etc.
  2. Temporary visitors to Maryland with a local address at which they can receive mail, e.g., summer residence renters
  3. Boaters with Maryland slips
  4. Temporary workers at fairs and amusement parks, etc.
  5. People attending school in Maryland, e.g. Naval Academy Midshipmen, Maritime Institute attendees, etc.
  • Anne Arundel County or Library employees
  • People who work in Maryland

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way for out-of-state residents with none of the connections listed above to borrow.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

"How do I delete the icon/shortcut thingy off of my Nook after the library book has been returned?  The book's contents are already gone but..."

You have to manually delete it while the Nook is hooked up to the computer.

pamela

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

book_werm wrote:

I just got back from getting my card!!!  My problem now is that too many of the ones I want are availabe to check out, I have 8 I'm trying to read already...

Thank you again for the update.  :smileyhappy:

Reader 2
retiredk9racer
0 Kudos

The easiest way I have found to delete borrowed library books from my nook is in Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).  After I have returned the books through ADE on my computer, I connect my nook to the computer and open it up when it shows up in ADE.  The books that are in My Documents show up and have the little arrow in the upper left corner which gives me the option to return or delete the book.  I delete them from there and then they are off the nook as well as ADE.  I tried opening up my nook as a drive on my computer and deleting books from there, but it works better and is easier in ADE, at least for me.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I click the ADE return button from Nook drive.  That way I can still remember what I borrowed even though I can't read it again.  It leaves a copy of the book on my PC hard drive.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I click the ADE return button from Nook drive.  That way I can still remember what I borrowed even though I can't read it again.  It leaves a copy of the book on my PC hard drive.

I do this for the books that returned before I had a chance to read them.

New User
Maggadocious
0 Kudos

Ok I have done all that and ade is recognising the borrowed and the nook and I have done the drag and drop and it looked like it was downloading but nothing is showing up on my nook itself.  What could i be doing wrong? I am getting very frustrated.

Reader 4
trish_123
0 Kudos

Did you try checking for new content?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

book_werm wrote:

I've had an LA County Library card for a while and it sounds like they've gotten more books.  I've gotten several epubs in the past from them, but it seems like the books I want to read, the libraries never have.  Ok, I just browsed through and joined the wait list on a couple of books and put a large number in my wish list, once I get a point where I know I will have time to read them.  Checked out one that I have in DTB that I never get around to picking up, this way, I'll be more likely to read it.

I wonder, if you made a donation to a library system, could you specify that it is to be used to purchase ebooks?  I really wish there was a way to donate the ones I buy.  I don't care as much about lending them to friends/family,  no one I know has anything but a Kindle anyway, but I'd really like to help the libaries increase their collections.

Frog_Alum, did you notice they have Alter of Eden?  Guess I should have waited.  I wish I could loan you the one I bought, but I bought it from Sony, so I don't know that there's any way.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Maggadocious wrote:

Ok I have done all that and ade is recognising the borrowed and the nook and I have done the drag and drop and it looked like it was downloading but nothing is showing up on my nook itself.  What could i be doing wrong? I am getting very frustrated.

As someone else said, did you try checking for new content after you disconnected?  Also, stupid question here, but are you looking in My Documents, rather than My B&N Library?  They will be in My Documents on the Nook.

Oh and you are disconnecting properly.  Right mouse click on the Nook in Windows Explorer (not ADE) and select Eject from the menu, before disconnecting from the computer.