Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: borrowing books from the public library

sygram wrote:

I had an issue with the acsm file as well.  I just opened windows explorer to the folder the file was in and then dragged it on to the ADE window and it showed up.  I was then able to drag it to the nook folder in ADE and read it on my nook.

When I looked in the windows explorer folder again there was an acsm and epub file.

Someone else may have an explanation since my was was a little 'clunky'.

SInce I was taught to always save a file that I download and not open it till it had been scanned, I was initially downloading the ebooks to my computer.THEN trying to get it into ADE and of course, I had the same problem as you describe. IF the ebook was even readable once I got it onto the Nook was another problem.. 

After several frustrating attempts, I chose OPEN instead of SAVE to download the file and discovered that it automatically was detected AND FILED for me by ADE, recognized as a library book, again automatically, categorized into the borrowed folder of ADE and all without any more help from me! Amazing what a difference it made. From there, dragging over into the nook is a breeze.

I never have to search for the ebooks on my computer and then put them into ADE manually if I tell it to OPEN the file upon download.
One note though. All that is NOT instantaneous!!! Once ADE opens, it will take a few seconds or so for it to do it's thing to prepare itself for the ebook. Just be patient and ADE will FINALLY tell you that it is downloading the book. That was the part that was hardest for me, I was expecting instant download and thinking it wasn't working when I just wasn't waiting long enough. It's not a long wait, a few seconds or so, but it SEEMS long in computer time. :smileyhappy:

hope this is helpful

pamela

Contributor
Nooklover35
0 Kudos

I love using the library feature. But once a book has expired, how do I delete it from my device?

Contributor
garped
0 Kudos

The new update has the feature right on the Nook, so you don't have to hook it up to the library.   Go to the title and then press Item Details and Options.  You will then find the Delete option.  Great improvement!

Contributor
Nooklover35
0 Kudos

Oh yes, that is very cool. Thanks!