Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Dr_Pamela
0 Kudos

can't register nook color-unable to do ANYTHING with it

Got it for Christmas-yesterday.  I KNOW my WIFI is working as I was able to get the new WII to recognize it-BUT, which I try to register the Nook Color I get 'network problem:  A network-related error occurred.  You may have lost connectivity to the local wireless network (not true) Press Continue and we'll try to test your connection.

There is nothing wrong with the connection-but I can't do ANYTHING with this until it is registered-what is the problem?  I was really looking forward to this-and I can't even get past the SET UP screens

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: can't register nook color-unable to do ANYTHING with it

Dr_Pamela wrote:

Got it for Christmas-yesterday.  I KNOW my WIFI is working as I was able to get the new WII to recognize it-BUT, which I try to register the Nook Color I get 'network problem:  A network-related error occurred.  You may have lost connectivity to the local wireless network (not true) Press Continue and we'll try to test your connection.

There is nothing wrong with the connection-but I can't do ANYTHING with this until it is registered-what is the problem?  I was really looking forward to this-and I can't even get past the SET UP screens

Many people got Nooks or NookColors for Christmas - maybe the website is overwhelmed.

Have you tried to "forget" your network and let it find it again?

These are the NookColor boards -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

New User
JBDB
0 Kudos

I am having the exact same problem...really wanted to use this today with a nice snowstorm coming and a book was just what the doc ordered..almost wishing I asked for a kindle for xmas instead..my daughter has NO PROBLEM connecting to our wifi with hers :smileysad:

New User
gonzo21
0 Kudos

Same problem here too!  This sucks and have been on hold for over an hour with customer support

New User
Dr_Pamela
0 Kudos

well I ALMOST registered it-on some random OPEN WIFI somewhere in the neighborhood-but while it was logging me it, same freakin message

this this is a couple hours away from going back to the store!  I get Working-please wait, then the same 'network problem' error

ridiculous-for what it costs-nearest store is 1 hr please away and a snowstorm is on its way!

New User
WynDncr
0 Kudos

I had same issues when I bought mine when the Nook Color first came out. Then it just magically started working. I don't know if the web site was overwhelmed or what the issues were. Hope you had the same experience.

BTW I love my nook Color and am purchasing one for my daughter and her family.

New User
Dr_Pamela
0 Kudos

well i got it registered, so it is working-unfortunately, I'm unable to access 'my library' at the B & N website-so I still have not clue how to use it for reading---

maybe things will work better tomorrow

New User
Chris_Goetzheimer
0 Kudos

I am very frustrated with NOOK.  I can not shop at all, BUT to see if my wifi was the problem I bought some other book just as a text, and it worked.  So why was I able to buy that book and I can't search or find the titles and authors i really want.  I was on hold for over a half hour before I almost threw the phone and my nook out the window.  What is going on?  Should I just return?

Frequent Contributor
parKb5

I noticed yesterday and today that the website is being hammered. Everyone must have gotten a nook for Christmas! Try early in the morning or late at night. I woke up this morning at had no problems moving around the website, but again this afternoon it is being hammered.

You just have to have patience, everyone and their mother is trying to register their nooks. I've had mine since March and this is the first time I've ever had a problem with the website.

Eden
My first ebook is up for sale for only $0.99!
Inspired Correspondent
RLS_Portland
0 Kudos

Folks, the B&N servers were swamped over the past 24 hrs. - and going down frequently. (Poor planning here, B&N. What did you think would happen when everyone opened their NookColors the first time on xmas morning?)

This site and purchasing/downloading were working great last week. Patience is needed for now: last night I was able to logon finally at 10pm PST, when most of the east coast signed off for bed. 

Hang in there - the NookColor is worth it!

kdk
Reader 2
kdk
0 Kudos

I'm having no luck either.  I am so frustrated!  I will try later when everyone else logs off.  Dr Paula's symptoms sound exactly like mine - I was thinking I had a 'dud' but it sounds like it's not just me.   

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

FOR ALL....

A few things you need to know about the Nook Color (NC) and WiFi.

First, to connect to a WiFi hotspot (ANY WiFi hotspot) the WiFi network needs to be transmitting its name (SSID).   If your home WiFi has "broadcast SSID" turned  off, the NC will not find it.   IF you enter it by hand, it will connect, but once it loses the connection, it will not find it again.

Second, many home WiFi systems have what is  called MAC address filtering turned on.  THat simply means that you have enter a unique ID (known as a MAC address) into the list of permitted devices on your WiFi router.    Unfortunately, you can not get the NC's MAC  address until you get past the initial login....so, at least to start, have MAC filtering turned OFF.   Once you register your NC, you can look under device info (on the settings page) and get the MAC address and put that into your list of  permitted MAC addresses and turn that feature back on.

Third, the NC will NOT connect to an ad-hoc network.   That would be one typically set up by a cell phone or cell device that allows  you to use your cell phone as a WiFi hot spot.   You must use what is  known as an 'infrastructure' hotspot, not an adhoc hotspot.

Lastly....once you get it registered, the FIRST thing you should read, cover to cover is the Owner's manual.   You can read it here also on the support page, but it really the best way to learn about your NC.   I normally don't read manuals, but in this  case I did, and was glad I did, it explained a lot to me.  ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COME TO CONNECTING TO YOUR COMPUTER!

Oh yea...I've had my NC since they first came out...and LOVE IT.   I  find it to be a Superb eReader, perfect for MY needs.    I read 2 or 3 hours a  day, and generally get 4 or 5 days out of a battery charge.    The sharpness  and color is amazing, it is VERY readable even in direct sunlight or in a totally dark room (as in reading  in bed).

Obviously, other's wants/needs may be different than mine, but hang in there.....I think you'll love your NC once you understand  it.

And NO....I  have nothing to do with Barnes and Noble other than I'm a customer.

---------
Don
New User
sgeniek
0 Kudos

"Connected but No Internet" problem fixed !!!!!

F I X E D " C O N N E C T E D , B U T   N O     I N T E R N E T "  :smileyvery-happy:

This is what I discovered yesterday after all day research...even had the wife ride down to BN to get on their wi-fi to register:

We have a high speed router, default setting is for 802.11b/g/n...up to 300Mbps. The thing that fixed it wasn't the type of encryption, ie, WPA, WEP, etc, but changing the speed of the wireless on the router to 802.11b/g only at 54Mbps.

Symptoms were the Nook color would connect, then say "testing, then pop up with "connected but no internet". When I changed the router setting to b/g only at 54MBPS this went away, and it connects with internet all the time. No noticable wireless network performance loss either.

Contributor
majicwings
0 Kudos

Reading the manual has NOTHING to do with the problem Barnes and
Noble is having with the Nook easy reader or the Nook Color!!! They should tell
people they are having trouble getting the wifi to work correctly instead of
making people think the problem is with their router!!! I have the old Nook and
never had a problem until I bought the Nook easy reader. I've had it for a week
and had to go to Barnes and noble to register it and I still cannot connect to
wifi with it at home, but I connect to wifi with my old Nook. So you tell me
where the problem is!!! Nook has one more for to get it working or its going
back and I’m getting a KINDLE!!!!

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC

[ Edited ]

Dredging up a nine month old thread to rant is hardly productive.  While you may have problems connecting, clearly many people do not.  I have not had a single issue or problem connecting my original Nook 1, my NC nor my N2E - I've connected them to wifi at home, in hotels, at work, a couple of local coffee shops - nowhere have I had an issue with wifi and any Nook device.

I understand that problems do certainly occur for SOME people, under SOME conditions, but shouting as if there is some fundemental manufactured flaw with the device simply flies in the face of reason (not to mention sales and numbers of satisfied customers).  And if you think each and every Kindle owner is as  happy as a clam and none ever experience a problem or flawed unit, I suggest that indeed you should go back to that fantasy world.

Perhaps posting some details about the problem you are having and asking for help would have been a much better use of a post (and if you care to do that, I'd suggest starting a new thread to get the best and quickest responses).

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

If you take a look at the kindle boards you will find very similar issues there that are reported here, but neither are indications of widespread issues. As suggested, when you have a specific question with your specific information posted so that someone can try and help you then people will do so. And just because one device connects flawlessly that does not mean your particular router's settings aren't at issue. That is why you need to post your settings, router info, and so on. Otherwise, good luck, you are on your own.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

majicwings wrote:

Reading the manual has NOTHING to do with the problem Barnes and
Noble is having with the Nook easy reader or the Nook Color!!! They should tell
people they are having trouble getting the wifi to work correctly instead of
making people think the problem is with their router!!! I have the old Nook and
never had a problem until I bought the Nook easy reader. I've had it for a week
and had to go to Barnes and noble to register it and I still cannot connect to
wifi with it at home, but I connect to wifi with my old Nook. So you tell me
where the problem is!!! Nook has one more for to get it working or its going
back and I’m getting a KINDLE!!!!

I get that you're frustrated, but yelling isn't going to help anything.  Especially yelling at a bunch of people who have nothing to do with your problem.

I am sorry you're having trouble, but if your N2E is connecting to B&N's WiFi and other WiFi hotspots but not yours, the problem is indeed with your router.    It could be that your router's settings are not compatible with the newer firmware used in the N2E (and the NC).  That it works with your N1E doesn't mean anything.  Different devices have different connection requirements, and newer devices don't always play nice with routers that are even only a year or two old.

I had to get a new router because my new laptop, my husband's new netbook, and our new Blu-Ray player didn't work well with the old one.  I never had any problems before.  All of our other devices connected fine--three other laptops, a couple of smart phones, an N1E and NC, and a Wii (I may be forgetting something).  But these three new devices, all bought within a 30-day span, just didn't play nice.  The laptop and netbook had connection speeds lower than my old 56k modem and the Blu-Ray player wouldn't connect most times.  When it did manage it, it wouldn't keep it's connection.  It was having the exact same issues that some are seeing with their various NOOK devices.  Changing my settings didn't help anything.  I went through configuration after configuration until I had to accept that it just wasn't going to work.  In the end, the only thing that fixed my problems was getting a new router.  Now everything connects, maintains the speeds it should, and stays connected.

If I hadn't ended up getting three devices that didn't work well with my router, I would have continued to believe that the problem was with my Blu-Ray player.

Sometimes the problem really isn't the device.

Contributor
majicwings
0 Kudos

I wasn't yelling when i posted, when i tried to send it it changed my html and everything was in caps and some stuff i typed was missing. I have asked for help from barnes and noble and no one has been able to help me, they just keep giving the run around.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

As Nallia explained, B&N isn't necessarily "giving you the run around", there may not be an answer.  There may be a problem with your router and not your Nook.  They can't fix your router.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

It really would help to give specific info maybe about your router. Also, you might see if it wotks with other wifi out and about, such as McDonald's or Starbucks or somewhere with free service. Then, if it does work, it would affirm, as Nallia has said, that it is your router.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.