New User
JF66
0 Kudos

can't see sd card on nook

I placed a few files on my SD card just to try it out, but I never have been able to access the card. How do I do that on my nook?

Contributor
Jhuygut
0 Kudos

Re: can't see sd card on nook

The gray back cover comes off, the MicroSD slot is underneath that.

B&N Bookseller
DariaJane
0 Kudos

According to  the user manual, you must turn off your nook completely before loading the microSD card into it.  Then, when you turn it back on, go to the Settings menu to see if it is recognizing your card.  Most of the problems I've seen are when people don't fully turn off their nook before they put the card in.  If you've followed the user manual, and it's still not recognizing your card, someone else may have to chime in on this...

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@JF66

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

As DariaJane says, you need to cycle the power on your Nook. 

Do that, and then go to Settings.  On the first page, you should see:

Available Memory

MicroSD Card

Internal Memory

Total Memory

with numbers after each.

If you see that, go to My Documents.  If you don't see the files you loaded to your microSD card, tap "Check for New Content", and they should appear.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

Had this issue at the store a few times, in all cases it was either the card was not installed properly,( the gate must not only be closed, but then slid down slightly to lock it) or the device was not powered down for installation of the card.

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Frequent Contributor
awellsdba
0 Kudos

Also...

When I actually had to cow myself and CALL support (I work in IT... I don't call support until I can't possibly get past it) they were great...

If after everyone has already said doesn't work.. .take it out... wipe off the gold connectors... put it back in and restart it again....

I promise (sheepish voice of encouragement) they will show up.   Now DS has hundreds of books on his card and I have about as many on mine (who knew you could even put Oracle user manuals on the silly thing!)

New User
JF66
0 Kudos

OK. When I plug it in to the usb port, I can see the file on "Drive K"

I see the files from the computer.

I removed and replaced the sd card carefully and turned it back on.

I went to my library, then my documents, and checked for new content but still can't access the file. It is just not showing in my nook in "my documents."

Any other ideas? I can't seem to reach customer support in a reasonable time. (the frame on it also cracked.)

Frequent Contributor
BENUI
0 Kudos

I presume the file is in a supported format.

We are all Shepherds
New User
JF66
0 Kudos

ooooh that must be it. it is a gif of a page from my genealogy website. I thought it was a .doc. Thanks

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

JF66 wrote:

ooooh that must be it. it is a gif of a page from my genealogy website. I thought it was a .doc. Thanks

.doc isn't a supported format, either, unfortunately.

If you want to sideload and read a .doc on your Nook, one way is to resave it as a .rtf, convert the .rtf to epub with Calibre, and sideload the epub from Calibre to your Nook.  This has worked for me.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
Jhuygut
0 Kudos

I believe Word can save as a .pdf so if you have a .doc that isn't coming up which may be easier then the .epub conversion though I'm glad to see the way to get it to epub

Frequent Contributor
Brucester
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

JF66 wrote:

.doc isn't a supported format, either, unfortunately.

If you want to sideload and read a .doc on your Nook, one way is to resave it as a .rtf, convert the .rtf to epub with Calibre, and sideload the epub from Calibre to your Nook.  This has worked for me.

Or you could do it in one simple step using OpenOffice. Open a txt, doc, rtf, etc file in Writer, then go to File/Export as PDF.

Voila.

I only wish I could do this in batches - I have hundreds of files in other formats and it take a long time to do a bunch of those in OO. For people who have book files in html format, you can get a freeware app named HTML2TXT. Run that on your HTML files and plug the converted file into OpenOffice and do the same as above.

Now if I could only find a freeware app to change LIT files to a workable format:smileysad:

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

calibre will convert LIT files to other formats and it's free.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Reader
Shilos_Kid
0 Kudos

My nook recognizes my card (tells me I have 1.7 GB available)

My books are all in either ePub or PDB format (from older palm devices or Gutenberg).

My documents does not see the books.

I rebooted the nook after ejecting from Calibre, and still no books from My Documents.  The 'checking for new content' message just seems to linger on the screen until I get annoyed and press 'cancel'

Any suggestions?