Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
casmith41010
0 Kudos

eBible - NIV version

Has anyone found a NIV version of the Bible compatible with Nook?  Thanks in advance for the help.

Frequent Contributor
Hummey
0 Kudos

Re: eBible - NIV version

casmith41010 wrote:

Has anyone found a NIV version of the Bible compatible with Nook?  Thanks in advance for the help.

I have the NIV by Zondervan Publishing and the ESV.  I just checked and the NIV is no longer available, not sure why.  The ESV is what I spend most of my time in.

Here is the link for the ESV.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=9781433521539

Regards,

Tony

Tony

"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will take His stand on the earth" Job 19:25
Distinguished Correspondent
Saint_Nookolas
0 Kudos

There was a NIV available through BN previously, but after re-running a search for it, I discovered it no longer appears.  As I recall, there were a number of poor reviews about its functionality so perhaps that is why it was pulled (or maybe there was a problem with publisher rights, etc.)

So far, the downside with e-book Bibles on the Nook is that you can't navigate to Chapter/Verse without scrolling through the entire TOC to get to a passage.  That is pretty inconvenient for quick reference and study purposes.

I'm afraid I can't offer any other site suggestions at this point (although there is bound to be one out there somewhere).  I would keep checking BN frequently.  I'm sure the NIV will re-appear.  It is too popular to be ignored for long and hopefully either the e-book format or a future Nook software upgrade will improve Chapter/Verse accessibility.

Reader
casmith41010
0 Kudos

Saint_Nookalas, I am glad you brought up the navigation issue, because that was another question I had.  I just got my Nook a few days ago, so I guess I hadn't realized this yet.

Does that mean that in any book you have there is not an easy way to skip to certain chapters? I guess I assumed it would have functionality similar to watching a DVD where you can skip around if needed.  I guess this is something we can hope they add in a software update.

Thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
Goodword

I have the Zondervan NIV on my Nook--I didn't realize it had been pulled, but, yes, navagation is an issue. 

Here's how it currently works:

You use the "Go to" menu and choose "Chapter."  Then your choices include the preface, tables of weights and measures, OT, NT, and alphabetical order of books.  Say you want Isaiah 53.  You would go to OT books, then tap down through each book until you reach Isaiah--slowly.  Then to get to chapter 53, you tap through each numbered chapter--again, slowly, 53 taps.  If the Nook hasn't frozen, (and I'm sorry to say it sometimes does) you can select 53 and then you are given a menu of verses.  I just choose verse 1 because it is easier to swipe the pages to get to the verse I need.

Cumbersome.

On the plus side, it is fine for general reading.  I am a youth leader and I do use it to teach from.  I find the verses I want to use ahead of time and bookmark them.  However, they are bookmarked by page number, not by reference, so I have to note pages in my teaching notes.

You can search for words and lines, but the searches are exceedingly slow and I found the results to be spotty.

I do hope they will offer a version with a better format.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

I have the Zondervan NIV Bible, having purchased it awhile back. And I agree with everything that's been said about it on the nook. Its good for general reading. But to look up a specific chapter and verse, it is quicker using the DTB version of it. Also, if you want a study Bible, the nook version doesn't have the study features available in the DTB version. But for general reading, it is adequate.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

JohnP51 wrote:

Also, if you want a study Bible, the nook version doesn't have the study features available in the DTB version.

Actually, that can be a blessing in disguise.  I have the NRSV Bible from HarperCollins.  I like the translation and It includes the study apparatus, but the Nook doesn't distinguish as clearly as the DTB version would, by typeface and layout, between the text and the study aids.  Sorting them out requires constant attention.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

True.

I actually have three NIV Bibles. The nook version I mentioned, a Zondervan NIV study Bible in DTB format. This one is my favorite and the one that gets used most often. I also have a nonstudy NIV Bible also in DTB format. I use the study Bible for studying at home and at Bible study at our church. I use the regular one for church service because being smaller, its not like trying to hold an anvil while I read along like it is with that huge study Bible. It is also a large print edition so my wife and I don't need our reading glasses to read it. Our preacher likes for us to stand while we read. I rarely read the Bible on my nook unless I am away from home. I rarely leave home without my nook.

John

Distinguished Correspondent
Saint_Nookolas
0 Kudos

casmith41010 wrote:

Saint_Nookalas, I am glad you brought up the navigation issue, because that was another question I had.  I just got my Nook a few days ago, so I guess I hadn't realized this yet.

Does that mean that in any book you have there is not an easy way to skip to certain chapters? I guess I assumed it would have functionality similar to watching a DVD where you can skip around if needed.  I guess this is something we can hope they add in a software update.

Thanks!

I think another poster has already answered your question about navigating the NIV, but here's my two cents.

I still prefer KJV so I never loaded NIV when it was available.  However, the navigation problem is still the same, if not worse.  In my KJV (a Google Books version) you have to scroll through every chapter of every book.  That's right.  Start with Genesis, slowly scroll through every chapter, until Exodus, slowly scroll through every chapter there, and so on.  It takes forever to get anywhere, as Isaiah 53 in the previous poster's example, or worse yet, a NT reference.

I also found the search function less than adequate for quick reference.  I had initially hoped to use the Nook in church to quickly find scripture, etc. but it really isn't designed for that type of use.  I tried bookmark navigation, but without the ability to name the bookmarks, it soon proved impractical.  The Nook design does much better with just straight reading assignments, so I just use it to read through the Bible a little each day.

I wrote BN to request an easily navigable, formatted Bible or a compatible software update. I received an automated email reply thanking me for my input, but that was the last I heard.  In the meantime, I'm still utilizing hard copy, cell phone apps, and handheld Franklin electronics.

If and/or when a solution is provided or found, I trust that someone will post about it here.

Good luck with your new Nook!

Correspondent
timetravel
0 Kudos

I had the same problem when I purchased a NASB.  There is no navigation even by book.  I am in the process of just making bookmarks .  I guess it will have to be a "in a year" Bible!  I had wanted to purchase a CEV, but I think I will wait.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

In my opinion there is no excuse for there not being some form of navigation on a paid-for Bible. Free ones I can see, but not paid for. The NIV I have has the same book to chapter to verse navigation mentioned previously. Its just too cumbersome to be used for anything except general reading.

John

Frequent Contributor
bevnd
0 Kudos

NIV Quest Study Bible is pretty easy to use. Works much like the KJV offered for 99 cents. Except the Quest is $16.99

Quest Study Bible: The Question and Answer Bible

Try the sample and I think you will like it. Download Sample Quest Bible, (does not take long for the Sample Bible to paginate)

1. Go To

2. Chapter

3. Genesis

4. Next it will bring up Genesis on reading screen

5. Use the up/down arrows next to the "select" box to go up and down to choose the Chapter you want OR you may need click > to turn to next page with more chapters.

6. Touch Select once you are on the Chapter

7. Chapter opens--I have only found to read through the Chapter

8. Try "Find" type in Ishmael

9. Touch "Look Up"

10. Then line up cursor in front of Ishamel

11. Touch Look Up in lower right corner below navigation wheel.

12. Brings up on screen info on Ishmael

You can use Find to type in Genesis 10 (for example) and it will bring you to the beginning of Genesis 10, but I have not found a way to go directly to a specific book/chapter/verse.

It does work quick in the Sample, but I have not downloaded the entire Bible yet. I just found it.