Reply
New User
NFox
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎01-04-2011
0 Kudos

eBooks and Nook

Good Morning,  I have purchased over 50 eBooks from B&N in the last 4 years as i had downloaded the B&N e-Reader to my Mac, had all my books on desktop and loved it. Now i had to get a new Mac as my last one crashed. This is not windows, but i am on my mac all day and miss all my reading possibilities. Do You not offer the B&NeReader now that you have these expensive Nooks? i do not want a new device, i want to be able to read on my Mac, Please let me know if this is possible or not a.s.a.p.     nanox100@yahoo.com

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
Posts: 660
Registered: ‎06-26-2010
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook

here you go

 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/download-reader.asp?dltab=mac&cds2Pid=34762

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook

[ Edited ]

 


NFox wrote:

 Now i had to get a new Mac as my last one crashed. This is not windows, but i am on my mac all day and miss all my reading possibilities. Do You not offer the B&NeReader now that you have these expensive Nooks?


 

It's right here:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/download-reader.asp?dltab=mac&cds2Pid=34762

 

 

EDITED:  Who says B&N Customer Service isn't fantastic?  She was right on top of it.  :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
Posts: 1,949
Registered: ‎02-15-2010

Re: eBooks and Nook

@ RedRapier,

 

I also have a Mac.  Someone one this forum had made the comment that the regular reader for Mac was not as good as the reader for PC and suggested downloading NookStudy to read on Mac.  

 

Any thoughts?

 

I already have NookStudy for the simple reason that when I D/L ebooks to save on my Mac, they save in .pdb format and if I save them in NookStudy, they save in .epub.  Not sure why, but that's my experience.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
Posts: 660
Registered: ‎06-26-2010
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook

 


 

EDITED:  Who says B&N Customer Service isn't fantastic?  She was right on top of it.  :smileyvery-happy:


She????   (double checks) um sorry nope

 

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook

 


RedRapier wrote:

 

She????   (double checks) um sorry nope

 


 

Sorry.  :smileyindifferent:  I generally assume all book posters are female unless the screenname is obviously male.  I'm guessing it's a book reference; which book?

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook

 


Ya_Ya wrote:

 



 

Sorry.  :smileyindifferent:  I generally assume all book posters are female unless the screenname is obviously male.  I'm guessing it's a book reference; which book?


What a bigoted generalization to make!  :smileywink:

 

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook

 


AlanNJ wrote:

 

What a bigoted generalization to make!  :smileywink:

 


You got me.  

 

Wordsmith
KingAl
Posts: 549
Registered: ‎11-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook


Ya_Ya wrote:

 


RedRapier wrote:

 

She????   (double checks) um sorry nope

 


 

Sorry.  :smileyindifferent:  I generally assume all book posters are female unless the screenname is obviously male.  I'm guessing it's a book reference; which book?


Well, at least it's not "I generally assume all book posters are female unless they are wrong" :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
kellar
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎08-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook

The Mac app is really, really, bad. There is NO access to your BN online Library, and no library on it to speak of.  It's still about 3 years behind the times.

 

I use Nook Study on my Mac because the Nook for PC or Study won't work on my pc.  The Nook Study for Mac works great.  I've talked to tech support over the issue and they agree on the suckiness of the BN reader app for Macs, but won't say if they are going to upgrade it or not. 

 

Kel

 

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
Posts: 1,262
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook

I have a mac and also prefer the nookstudy application rather than the "official" mac application.  The biggest advantage is, of course, that nookstudy downloads the books in epub format, whereas if your downloading books from B&N directly for the old ereader app, they download in the depreciated .pdb format.  

 

I actually download both versions and store them for backups, but I like having the epub available, as that seems to be the conventional standard going forward.  

 

As far as nookstudy, it technically requires you to put in the name of your college or university, but there's an option to select "other".  Once you've got it up and running, it works almost identically to the nook application for windows.  Much better integration and ease of use.  

New User
NFox
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎01-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook

Good Morning,  Thankyou to RedRapier, YA_YA, and all for responding so quickly to my post. Thank you for the links as well, i just could not find it. The Nooks  are so expensive , i would need the color one as i can only see clearly from one eye and glare from white paper is not great. I really enjo the B&N eReader as it was free when i downloaded, it always works great for me, no problem with Mac, i can download with ease, make background on pages parchment(tan)  print is brown, this makes it very easy on the eyes. I do not know what student nook is or epub ? i will do some searching.Thankyou all again, you have made my day!!!!:smiley happy:

New User
stanb3
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook

 

Currently Reading: Storm Front (from the library)

 


Ya_Ya wrote:

 



 


You say from the library by that do you mean a public library? That is not a book you purchased.

The reason I ask is because when I download a book from "Adobe Digital Edition" it goes to some strange place in my Nook.

I have to do a search to find it.

Can you tell me how you download a book from your library.


 :

 


  


 

 ?


 

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
Posts: 858
Registered: ‎11-21-2010
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook

[ Edited ]

 


You say from the library by that do you mean a public library? That is not a book you purchased.

The reason I ask is because when I download a book from "Adobe Digital Edition" it goes to some strange place in my Nook.

I have to do a search to find it.

Can you tell me how you download a book from your library

 


 

 

 

 

 

All library books are downloaded threw adobe digital editions. You will and should find in my document section of the nook.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A


Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook

@ stanb3,

 

If you are asking how to do get a library book on NOOK:

 

First go to overdrive and make sure that your library has ebooks available for borrowing.

Download Adobe Digital Editions.

Authorize ADE on your computer.

Close ADE.

Plug NOOK into your computer.

Open ADE.

Authorize NOOK in ADE (follow the prompts)

Drag the picture of the library book to the picture of your NOOK showing up under your shelves.

Close ADE.

Go to "My Computer", right click on NOOK, choose "Safely Eject."

 

 

Another poster has written the ADE Bible here.  Any problems you encounter will be covered.  

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Using-Adobe-Digital-Editions-ADE-Libra...

 

I don't know where they appear on NOOKColor.  On NOOK, Tap "My Library" -->  "Go to My Documents" --> "Check for new Contents" and the library book will be there.

New User
NFox
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎01-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: eBooks and Nook- Library

Good Morning stanb3 and all,  i have had no problem with B&N old eReader. The Library i refer to is the B&N library page for me. All books i have purchased, sample reads, wish list all go to my library page to access anytime, i just click on "nook library' ( it is now called, even though i do not have a nook) under where it says My Account at top of page. I browse B&N for books that sound interesting just like library, even if i do not have time to read, i build a collection and it gets saved to my Library. Sorry for the wordiness of this, though it sounds like i was not clear yesterday. Hope this will be helpful to someone.