Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
MarinePMI
0 Kudos

ePub to print option?

I don't know if this has ever come up, but I was wondering if B&N had thought about sponsoring or offering a capability for those with ebooks to have them printed in custom hardback editions with an on-demand printing type options?

Some of the eBook only books are becoming quite good, and I have often wondered if it was possible to say take my copy of Swarm (B.V. Larson), upload it to a print house, and specify a hardback, leather bound copy be made.

The same could apply to any existing books as well.  David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series comes to mind, where the first three or four books were not offered in HB (initially), and when they were, they didn't match the other (later) HB editions.

To me, this would offer the best of both worlds (eBook and physical book), in that I can read many books for a reasonable price as eBooks, but for those really good books, have them printed in a style I prefer without paying the roaylty fees all over again (or the mark up on a cover I really could care less about).

I'd have no problem paying to have complete set of the Harrington series in a leather, HB set to put in my home library (and that's at least 18 books).

Maybe I'm just rambling, but it sure would be nice to have that option (since eBook are softcopy, and that's how publishers get the information anyways, though a different format).

Distinguished Correspondent
GordonF
0 Kudos

Re: ePub to print option?

I doubt - would probably violate all kinds of Publication and Print Rights owned by either author or publisher to set up such a service. I suppose it depends on what side of the fence they feel this Format Shift falls on.

Also, epub is really, under the hood, a micro HTML/CSS file group, and is horrible for print status as is normally done. There's a reason printers get a different format file.

Stop At Nothing - Show Your Teeth
Contributor
MarinePMI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

GordonF,

Thanks for th insight!  I wasn't aware that ePub was micro HTML/CSS. 

On the copyrights issue, I think you have a point with traditional DTB publishers.  But with the "eBook only" authors, I wonder if there's an opportunity to shape the market, and as a side benefit, stick it to the Agency publishers by taking our money elsewhere.

You seem pretty tech savvy, do you know of, or can think of a way that current DRM could be integrated so that the eBook authors are protected, and only one hardcopy could be made per eBook copy?

Just kicking around the conept in my brain housing group right now, and am looking to see if folks can think of various models that this could work (both technically as well as from a business perspective).

Surely a trasform could be written to take a book from ePub to some other "printer friendly" format???

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
0 Kudos

This message has been moved for Violation of Community Guidelines. - Spam/Solicitation