Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
fontenotse
0 Kudos

Re: eReader Designed Specifically For College Students? :)

g0tr00t wrote:

fontenotse wrote:

I attend Grand Canyon and all we have is ebooks. I really wish that we could put these college books on our nook so I could  read it without having to have my computer.

Do you use a netbook?  That is pretty cool that they are doing that...

No all I have is a laptop. I was told originally that nook was the only device that supported my textbooks but apparently now none of them do.

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

Re: reader Designed Specifically For College Students? :)

NoOne wrote:

At least you can use your Nook for English Literature classes. That would save on some of the weight. I can empathize since I still remember the semester, I was foolish enough to take a Milton seminar and a Shakespeare seminar on the same days!  Yes, I actually carried the complete works of John Milton and the Complete Works of William Shakespeare around in a backpack at the same time. Not recommended unless you are a body builder. :-)  Having an ereader would have helped a lot.

haha. I imagine 20 years from now when half-ounce, paper-thin e-readers are as ubiquitous as cell phones today, and real books are only found on display in museums, we'll all be telling our kids/grandkids/great grandkids about how we had to lug around physical books on our backs that often weighed tens of pounds. :smileytongue:  I'm guessing they'll listen to our stories with the same rolling eyes skepticism that we had when our parents and grandparents nagged us about how they had to walk 10 miles to school, uphill in both directions in the snow, everyday...

Correspondent
kivvie

As a teacher, I totally see the need for a textbook-ish ereader device. However, I am not sure if the device in actual implementation would be more of a complete computer. Things that I see as essential to make ereaders/ebooks truly useful in the classroom:

1. Larger screen. I totally agree with the OP that being able to look at 2 pages at the same time is required. (not just page 3 and 4, but more like page 31 and 67 or similar)

2. Being able to take notes on the page. It would be fine if those notes were saved separately and maybe showed up after a click.

3. Multi-color highlight. I know NookColor does this now.

However, if I could do all of that, I kinda want the ability to email and type on it as well. I can imagine my students being able to complete their homework with their ebook device and have the device email it right to me. I also might want them to be able to view my webpage where I post assignments, so really a think a textbook ereader is going to be more like a large tablet computer. I love the idea because textbooks are insanely heavy and expensive when they get replaced every 5 years or so (the average life of a textbook in a public school).

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

I love the idea! I ride my bike to school a few miles three days a week and have to lug my laptop and a textbook around in it! I would love to have a device where i can have any textbook on it for note taking in the books and on word documents.

Frequent Contributor
Beren
0 Kudos

As a college professor myself, I can see a lot of benefit to having an ereader/tablet device designed for academic readers--something that would be designed not only for easy reading, but also for effective note-taking and communication with teachers and fellow students both inside and outside the classroom. Most unversities are already using online course management software such as Blackboard and Moodle for a lot of their course content, and there's been much discussion about how to utilize electronic communication within the classroom (if students are already sitting there texting in class, why not find ways to use that impulse for on-task, rather than off-task purposes?). Right now the majority of ereading devices, especially lower-cost ones, are geared toward the casual reader rather than the one who's using texts for annotation and writing. (The nook is the perfect example: it's a dream for causal reading; virtually useless for annotation).

It seems that the "flamer" who began this thread has been paying more attention to vitriolic talk radio than the realities of university teaching and learning.

Correspondent
katworley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Another college professor here... at the moment, the most usable college text reading device I've found is an iPad with the CourseSmart app. Most of the major publishers in my discipline (Anthropology) publish their texts in ebook form that can be read through CourseSmart. It's not perfect... at the moment, it's not possible to download a book to the device and read it offline. You have to have an internet connection. That's supposedly coming in a future version of the CourseSmart application. My textbook reps no longer give me paper examination copies, they simply add them to my CourseSmart library. For those publishers who DON'T use CourseSmart, I've found that BlueFire Reader app will read books with Adobe's DRM (used by the smaller publishing houses I've dealt with). The shear number of apps and versatility of the iPad makes it good for a college student (or instructor, for that matter... I don't haul my laptop to class anymore). The iPad also allows me to check in with my online courses.

Having said all that, for reading BOOKS (words on a page), I prefer my Nook.... it's easier on the eyes, and I don't get distracted by other stuff. For an English major who's reading lots of classic works, the Nook is great. For any discipline where textbooks with pictures, graphs, and other images are common, the iPad is a better choice. 

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I found a reader that would be ideal for college students; it's pricey though.

Prior to posting links please read our Book Club User Guidelines.

Thank You.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Frequent Contributor
Chiclitz
0 Kudos

Actually, most of the reviews of the Edge I've seen have lambasted it as slow and buggy.

But speaking of two-sided, hinged tablets, check out this horkin' big mother:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/kno-single-screen-tablet/

Here's another picture, complete with human:

http://www.businessinsider.com/kno-tablet-2010-6

Monstrous size to one side, this Kno tablet actually seems to be the best attempt yet at translating contemporary textbooks into e-book format. Most textbooks today, especially those business, science and technology-related textbooks with 3-figure price tags, have graphics-intense layouts spread across oversized page spreads.

A lot of those layouts are even too big for the 9" iPad screen to render completely. Which, of course, means scrolling and manipulating the image on the touch screen. Which translates into extra work to read the same pages. Which means an increase in pouting and whining from the students who have to use the device to read the book that they'd really rather not have to deal with in the first place, not even in its 5 lb. blunt-object format.

New User
jenny14
0 Kudos

ya even i agree... as ur getting ur work done in free then y to spend?

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think it's a great idea!  Although my daughter is finishing up her last year of high school she's been taking college classes during this time and actually strained her back due to the heavy load of books.   It was a good six weeks before she felt better and we had to get her a rolling bookbag which wasn't the ideal solution due to going up and down stairs.

She starts college in the fall and I would love to see her be able to read her books electronically rather than lugging those books around.  One of her areas of interest is anthropology so I'm glad ot hear about the ipad and CourseSmart.

Linda