Contributor
Aknaack5
0 Kudos

eReader for a 7year old child

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their opinons about which type of reader to get my 7 year old son. Right now I am torn between the nook and Vtech's Vreader. The Vreader is designed with kids in mind, but it is for the younger set and my son as just about at the top of that age range. So I worry about him out growing the stories that is available with the Vreader. With the nook he won't out grow. 

There is also a large price difference. The Vreader is $60, but the books(cartridges) are all $20 with some available for free download. 

Any thoughts??? 

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: eReader for a 7year old child

I asked this last week as well. My niece is asking me for one, she will be 7 in April. I am torn, the v-tech is really not for her anymore. 

But I am also unsure a nook, kobo, or any other ereader is right either. It's one of those wher ya don't know what is right...

She's used my nook on short book I downloaded for kids, and I just downloaded another that is a little more wordy and she was overwhelmed by it. I had stated before that I don't want to detract from the real book experience as well.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

You may want to look into getting a Nintendo DS for someone that young.

I believe there is a range of interactive books designed by EA Games for the Nintendo DS called "Flips"

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Hmmm...she does have a DSI, I am off to google!

Thanks Slaughter :smileyhappy:

AllenR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My daughter is 7 1/2 and reads children's stories and Aesop's Fables on my nook.  l also added some "google images" Beatrix potter images via Sigil to a free book I downloaded from google, to make it more fun for her.

She has a DS but plays games on it

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Correspondent
iambrad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think something like a nook or kindle would be good for people in their teens and up. At 7 years of age, I would almost consider one of the sony or even kobo models; especially since the rumors started of ADE being compatible with the B&N ePubs soon.

My reasoning is this. Children at that age do not need unsupervised, urestricted access to the internet or books. Rudimentary as they are, both nook and kindle offer web browsers and wifi access. They also offer direct access to the ebook store. I'm sure your child is trustworthy, and probably a great kid, but he is still 7. Do you want a 7 year old to have control of a device linked to your credit card?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

Ok.  This is going to sound like a potentially negative post but please don't take it that way.  Just for background, I have a 10 year old and a 6 year old who both LOVE to read.  Even so, at this point I wouldn't even consider getting either of them an eReader like the Nook or Kindle.

Reason that cross my mind:

1) They are both good kids, but they do have issues in taking care of their stuff.  I'd be majorly concerned about giving either of them a $150 device to be left under the bed, forgotten at places, left outside, etc etc that kids do.  Maybe your 7 year old is much better at this than my kids.  If so, you are lucky. :smileyhappy:

2) Control of content.  This could be worked around I guess.  But I would feel better with parental control options for the device.  I could exert some control.  ie, don't register it, buy them books on your own Nook, then side load the files onto theirs.  Internet access would be a problem though as there is no way I know of to disable the wifi without hacking your nook.  If you are savvy enough you could block the Nook on your internet router assuming it has MAC address filtering but now we are starting to talk geek speak.  The average person may not know how to do this.  In short, control of content is not easy for the average Joe.

3) Love of books is not only just the words to me.  I love the feel, look, and smell of books.  I'd like to pass that love onto them.  All eReaders take away that part of the experience.

As a parent, I think I'll wait until mine are teenagers before they might get an eReader device.  By then they should be old enough to take care of it and hopefully be responsible enough to not abuse it.

Contributor
sassy1219
0 Kudos

Take it from someone who has bought the Pocket V-Smile, Leapster and Nintendo DS...buy an e-book reader. The life cycle of the kid readers like the V-Techs is so short before the child outgrows them and tells you the device is too baby-ish. You probably don't buy clothes that are exactly the right size for your child because they'll just outgrow them in a couple of months, right? I use that logic when purchasing electronics for my son. (After learning that lesson the hard way, of course.)

I have a NOOK and my 8-year-old uses it too. We check out books from the public library and read them on our NOOK, in addition to purchasing e- books from B&N. By the way, it's OUR NOOK. We share it. We also still buy books from the bookstore. Just like me, there are still some books he wants to hold in his hand and/or aren't available as e-books.

As for him not being responsible enough to take care of it, the DSi costs just as much and he takes care of it just fine. He also doesn't use NOOK unattended. We have reading time together; if he's using NOOK, I read a "real" book and vice versa. He doesn't take NOOK to school, it stays at home (or in my purse). You can also look at other websites for sturdier covers for a little extra peace of mind. I purchased one from M-Edge with a waterproof cover to use when we travel.

If you're concerned about purchasing, use a gift card with a low amount as default payment. You could also wait until more information is released about the 1.5 software update. There is a password option coming; whether or not it will help with protecting purchases, I don't know.

I hope this helps.

Contributor
Caleb_Anderson
0 Kudos

Anyone thought about parental controls? I am 10

Contributor
Caleb_Anderson
0 Kudos

Re: eReader for a 7year old child ( and in my case, 10 year old ) :)

You COULD set up your router so that it would block the nook, but thats just YOUR router. What about next door? What about Burger King, who offers free Wi-Fi? The most I could think of is in advance, purchase the books your kid would want, load them onto the Nook, and get this, you wouldn't even need to register the nook. OR, you could link it to your account, but unless you are going to make a purchase, don't leave your credit card information punched into your account. Otherwise, it would be easier to just give your kid the card instead, and it wouldn't make a difference. But i don't think anyone wants to suddenly see TONS of bank statements with books being bought :smileyhappy: and trying to get some dinner at BK when the guy says that there's no cash on the card  :robotvery-happy: and you running to an ATM hoping that their system screwed up ( which you would soon find out didn't happen ) :robotvery-happy: A nook would be better, in my opinion. You can have different boks, unlike Vreader, with toddler books. Just make sure he doesn't lose it :robotvery-happy: or this will be the senerio: " Honey, why are you just pacing around the house? kid says " I'm bored. Mom says " Why don't you play with your nook"? Kid horrifically replies " I lost my nook" ( parent screams ) That would be a nightmare!

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

iambrad wrote:

My reasoning is this. Children at that age do not need unsupervised, urestricted access to the internet or books. Rudimentary as they are, both nook and kindle offer web browsers and wifi access. They also offer direct access to the ebook store. I'm sure your child is trustworthy, and probably a great kid, but he is still 7. Do you want a 7 year old to have control of a device linked to your credit card?

with coming password protection in the pending update, this should no loger be a problem

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Globaltech
0 Kudos

get the nook.. make sure it doesn't leave home. Make your child return it to you and let them 'check it out' from you anytime they want to read... and then 'return' it to you when done. The child may not be responsible enough yet to really take care of the nook, but that's where you come in as a responsible parent. activate it with a prepaid credit card (buy at most gas stations)... add gift cards as needed. register your email as the email address so you know about any purchases. With the new nook for kids zone, you will be thankful you did as B&N is really supporting the kids/teens market. Growing up aobut 8-11, my favorite day was going to the grocery store (where I got to buy a new book). Reading is a treasure and you should do anything you can to encourage it if the child expresses interest. Before the kidszone area, I'd probably have thought twice about it, but check it out and reconsider.... just be the responsible adult because children aren't. And get a squaretrade.com warranty for when it breaks. They are cheap and provide cash replacement value.
+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

On a related note, there just a story on the nightly news that BN is releasing a Nook Kids app for iPad, iPhone and a couple of others. Should be available by the end of November.

I will be up early tomorrow, looking to see just what's included in the big announcement!

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Correspondent
iambrad
0 Kudos

RedRapier wrote:

iambrad wrote:

with coming password protection in the pending update, this should no loger be a problem

Maybe, maybe not. If you are going to register your nook you still need a credit card registered. There is password protection coming, but no one really knows how it will work yet. It could very well be that it is required at point of purchase, but it is also equally likely that the password is one that has to be entered at startup or when you wake the nook. Unless you are privy to some information the rest of us don't have, then the opinion that it "should no longer be a problem" is pure speculation.

Plus there is nothing that would indicate that a password would be available to block internet access. I'm not saying that kids should be sheltered from the world, but at the age of seven there are just some things that are better left unseen, and even more that are better explained by a parent than sites like 4chan.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

note that i did say "should"

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!