New User
suzq4060
0 Kudos

ereaders and audio books

I've checked this site and can't seem to find anything advising me as to whether the nook or any other ereaders will allow me to listen to an audio book.  Text to speech just doesn't cut it for me. I haven't yet purchased my ereader because the options are so vast. If anyone has any great suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Re: ereaders and audio books

Yes, as long as they are in MP3 format and do not have DRM.  Audible books will not work due to teh DRM.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover

I took an audiobook that I had (in mp3 format) and put it on a microSD card and put it on my Nook.  I listened to two tracks just to make sure it worked (which it did, just fine). 

However, I can't see myself using the feature.  If I'm listening to an audiobook, I'd much rather slip a small mp3 player in my pocket and listen with headphones rather than carry around my Nook with or without headphones.  But it is nice to have the feature just in case.  I love audiobooks, but if I'm not on the move (cleaning house, driving, etc.), I'd much rather sit and read a book than sit and listen to an audiobook. 

By the way, am I the only person who actually uses the MP3 player feature on a GPS?  I keep SD cards filled with audiobooks stuck in my Garmin and I now use that for listening to books.  It rocks!  It's especially nice because if you have a destination programmed, the story is automatically paused when the it has to tell me my navigation turns. 

Ironically, this week I was listening to Stephen King's "Stationary Bike" and was just at the part where the doctor is berating his patient about how many times he goes out for fast food...and I was sitting in a Burger King drive-thru. 

New User
suzq4060
0 Kudos

I appreciate the reply but I am a bit confused on the drm part.  I'll use audible.com as an example. Can I use the nook as the audio player to listen to an audio book from this particular site? 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

suzq4060 wrote:

I appreciate the reply but I am a bit confused on the drm part.  I'll use audible.com as an example. Can I use the nook as the audio player to listen to an audio book from this particular site? 

No, you can not use the nook to listen to Audible.com audio books.

New User
suzq4060
0 Kudos

I never knew about this, I'll try it tonite I have a long drive ahead of me...Thanks for the idea.

Frequent Contributor
nooksst

[ Edited ]

Nook will play MP3.  Audible audio books are not MP3.  Kindle will play Audible audio books.  MP3 players, like Ipods do audiobooks exceedingly well.  E-readers are not a good audiobook application.  They are to large and cumbersome and the controls for handling audiobook listening can not compare to an Ipod, for example.  Also, the audiobook file format is impractical in size for e-readers.  Kindle and Nook have 2GB of storage, Kindle not expandable, both about 1.4 GB of user available storage.  This is a monsterous amount of space in e-books, around 1500 books.  Both e-readers will long be obsolete before you could read that many books.  A large audio book can exceed 1GB by itself.  You may wonder why your Nook is acting slow.  Duh.

Sure, you can add SD memory, but why?  It's an e-reader.  Why make it manage 8GB or 16GB?  Why do You want to manage 1500 books on an e-reader?  Your computer can handle the management of 1500 books, right now, and so easily.  You could put the books you intend to read for the next several months on your e-reader, and not cause yourself any stress.  You could add some music to listen to.  I said some.  I am not talking your whole darn music library.  I have a few albums on mine, background music, will actually play on your Nook while you read.  I am not talking high fidelity, boombox etc,.  Ipod for that, exceedingly well, many others too, so if I have offended some, let's not turn this into MP3 player wars.  Yes, you can put some pictures in your Nook, but let's be reasonable, not your photo archive, just a few items you want as screensavers.  If you are reasonable 2GB is hordes of space.

This Nook is fantastic for reading a book and the like.  It specializes in that.  Other things, not so much.

Frequent Contributor
nooksst
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

New User
DShop

Re: Nook and audio books

I have ordered a 8 GB micro SD card for  my Nook for the purpose of downloading audiobooks (in mp3 format of course).  But its not clear to me how you access audiobooks from the micro SD card after you have downloaded them to the card.  Can you explain the process? 

I completely agree with you about lugging around a NOOK in order to listen to audio books, your mp3 player is much better.  However, my wife and I often take long auto trips and I was thinking with the Nook and the SD card I could downloan a couple dozen audio books and still have plenty of room on the Nook to read my "print" books.  I have an Aux jack on my car and with a $5.00 cable I purchased at Walmart I can connect the Nook to the car radio and play the books thru that (I have already tested it and it works great). 

By the way there is an excellent web site for accessing hundreds of free audio books in about 18 different categories, see: http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/   The site consists of many classics and older books that were either not copyrighted or the copyright has expired.  Volunteers have recorded the books and they are available for download into an I-Pod or mp3 format. 

New User
DShop

Re: e-readers and audio books

There is a great web site for free audio books:

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/

It contains literally hundreds of audio books categorized into about 18 different subject areas.  These are mostly older books where the copyright has expired or was published without a copyright.  You have the option of downloading either in I-pod or mp3 format.  

New User
jlistens
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for this site! I have been looking for sometime for someplace to download audiobooks free. I use them everyday on my long commute.

New User
cass19
0 Kudos

I am new to this entire process - finishing school & new career has finally enabled me to join the ranks when it comes to using new technology.  I'm getting a new phone w/ hotspot wifi.  I travel for my job, driving mostly all over the large state of NM.  I'd like to get a nook or some such thing for when I fly, even though I prefer books.  However, I want the audio books for when I'm driving.  I just experimented w/ my first two old school CD audio books.  Turns out I do like them but naturally they're expensive & what do I do w/ them now?  Time to go digital.

Can you be more specific w/ the details of the SD card to your e-reader to the cables needed to use in your car?  Thanks for your time.  I'm thinking about audible.com, so wouldn't be able to use the nook.

Thanks for your time!

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Nook First Edition can play MP3 files like those ripped from your standard audio CDs but all the tracks loaded into the Nooks memory (built in or SD card) are consolidated into one long list with a user interface that has few options for controlling the order of play. You might rip the tracks from an audio book and find it necessary to spend a minute or two manipulating the Nook's touch screen when each track ends and you want to listen to the book's next track. If you are listening to an audio book while driving you wouldn't be able to do that safely without pulling over and parking the vehicle every time you complete a track. Not really a hardware problem, just horrible software that probably could have been much more useful with a modest development cost and use of the memory available in the device.

The First Edition's built in speakers are only powerful enough for an extremely quiet environment. In most cases you would need ear buds (not safe while you're driving - and questionable while walking or jogging). Since it uses the same stereo jack that most MP3 players use you should be able to use the same speakers used with MP3 player ear bud jacks (not devices that use Apple's propitiatory iPod/iPad/iPhone connector). The same would apply to the cables marketed for connecting MP3 players to vehicle radios (same stereo plug on both ends). You might find those cables at many electronic or video/music retailers.

As mentioned above, eReaders are inconveniently large and heavy for use as an MP3 player while you are walking or jogging, in addition to the elevated risk of damaging your reader if you drop it.

Playing audio for very long would probably significantly hasten the time when your Nook First Edition needs charging using the normal USB cable. If you plan to use the power from your vehicle's electrical system to power the Nook you will need to buy an adaptor separately.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

cass19 wrote:

I am new to this entire process - finishing school & new career has finally enabled me to join the ranks when it comes to using new technology.  I'm getting a new phone w/ hotspot wifi.  I travel for my job, driving mostly all over the large state of NM.  I'd like to get a nook or some such thing for when I fly, even though I prefer books.  However, I want the audio books for when I'm driving.  I just experimented w/ my first two old school CD audio books.  Turns out I do like them but naturally they're expensive & what do I do w/ them now?  Time to go digital.

Can you be more specific w/ the details of the SD card to your e-reader to the cables needed to use in your car?  Thanks for your time.  I'm thinking about audible.com, so wouldn't be able to use the nook.

Thanks for your time!

I would look at the Sansa Clip+ they are inexpensive, You can add sd cards to expand the memory and they support all of the audio file formats. They are compatible with overdrive so you can borrow audiobooks from your library if available.

New User
Drillit257
0 Kudos

How do I find then audiobooks now that they're downloaded? I can't find them in my nook.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Which Nook do you have?
New User
AudiobookLover
0 Kudos

AudiobooksNow has just launched an app on the Nook that allows you to purchase and listen to audiobooks.  You can also stream or download them from their website.  Just search for "audiobooks" or "audiobooksnow" in the "Shop" section of the Nook.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

AudiobookLover wrote:

AudiobooksNow has just launched an app on the Nook that allows you to purchase and listen to audiobooks.  You can also stream or download them from their website.  Just search for "audiobooks" or "audiobooksnow" in the "Shop" section of the Nook.

Audiobooklover, this particular forum is for the eink readers which do not run apps, so the audiobooksnow app won't help.