Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
luv2read247
0 Kudos

extra memory

whats the best and maybe cheapest card to buy for extra memory? I plan on getting one, and Im positive Im going to purchase the wrong one. Honestly sounds to me like its the same one I buy for my camera, am I correct?

"So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install, A lovely bookshelf on the wall."

— Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Re: extra memory

No, its like the memory card that cellphones use.  I got mine at Radio Shack for 14.99, that's probably the best price you'll find.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Frequent Contributor
luv2read247
0 Kudos

ahh I see thats cool thanks for the help Ill have to run by there:smileywink:

"So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install, A lovely bookshelf on the wall."

— Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Take your nook with you when you do it, the girl there helped me put it in correctly.  I'm sure whoever at your radio shack would be glad to do the same for you if you ask them to help you.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

luv2read247 wrote:

ahh I see thats cool thanks for the help Ill have to run by there:smileywink:

You may want to also check out the user guide, starting on page 166, for instructions.

microSD or microSDHC card with storage of up to 16 GB.  The recommendation is Class 2, 4 and 6, with 6 being the faster read/write speed.  

:smileyhappy:

ABthree
0 Kudos

luv2read247 wrote:

whats the best and maybe cheapest card to buy for extra memory? I plan on getting one, and Im positive Im going to purchase the wrong one. Honestly sounds to me like its the same one I buy for my camera, am I correct?

Your best bet is to check the microSD cards that B&N sells, and maybe print out this page:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/accessories/essentials/index.asp?cds2Pid=35755

If you price these cards and buy one of them then wherever you get it, you can be sure you'll get the right one. 

Note that, while NookColor will accommodate a 32GB card, the maximum for NookClassic is 16GB.  Also, while Nooks can use Class 2, 4 or 6 cards, you probably won't notice enough difference in speed to justify the extra cost of the higher classes.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
HighseasPirate
0 Kudos

The best place for any prices when it comes to memory or any computer parts is www.newegg.com .

I purchased a 16GB microSDHC card for $29 with a $5 rebate.  Purchasing a 32GB card at the moment is way too expensive.  They run around $100+.  And, purchasing one smaller than 16GB just wasn't worth the price/value ratio.

The 16GB works great.  I purchased it mainy for videos so I could watch them while working out on the treadmill or elliptical.

You may want to make sure that the brand is Patriot, Kingston, or Sandisk.  Just go throught he reviews.  They are usually very helpful.  If you are close to a major metro like me, Baltimore/Washington, don't get any faster shipping rate.  Newegg has a distribution center in NJ and if I order today, it is usually here tomorrow anyway.  They may have one close to you too.  Even so, I usually don't see the point in paying extra for shipping unless it is an emergency.

Good Luck!!!!!

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

HighseasPirate wrote:

The best place for any prices when it comes to memory or any computer parts is www.newegg.com .

I purchased a 16GB microSDHC card for $29 with a $5 rebate.  Purchasing a 32GB card at the moment is way too expensive.  They run around $100+.  And, purchasing one smaller than 16GB just wasn't worth the price/value ratio.

The 16GB works great.  I purchased it mainy for videos so I could watch them while working out on the treadmill or elliptical.

You may want to make sure that the brand is Patriot, Kingston, or Sandisk.  Just go throught he reviews.  They are usually very helpful.  If you are close to a major metro like me, Baltimore/Washington, don't get any faster shipping rate.  Newegg has a distribution center in NJ and if I order today, it is usually here tomorrow anyway.  They may have one close to you too.  Even so, I usually don't see the point in paying extra for shipping unless it is an emergency.

Good Luck!!!!!

just as a comment, I can also highly recommend newegg.  I have bought a lot of stuff form them.  good seller 

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

No, its like the memory card that cellphones use.  I got mine at Radio Shack for 14.99, that's probably the best price you'll find.

Be careful. I accidentally purchased one for a cell phone that would not work in my nook because it was proprietary to that cell phone.

Go over to the camera department in a store to make sure they aren't used for some other device like the ones in the cell phone aisle. The ones in the camera department are just plain, blank microsd cards.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat wrote:

shadowcat80 wrote:

Be careful. I accidentally purchased one for a cell phone that would not work in my nook because it was proprietary to that cell phone.

Go over to the camera department in a store to make sure they aren't used for some other device like the ones in the cell phone aisle. The ones in the camera department are just plain, blank microsd cards.

Desert I haven't had any trouble with my card, I actually think though it was at the cell phone area it was like the camera ones because for one it came with a card reader that allowes me to connect the memory card to my netbook directly, which cellphone ones don't usually have that, and around here we don't really have mirco cards for cameras, We have only the bigger cards around the cameras.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

at the cell phone area it was like the camera ones because for one it came with a card reader that allowes me to connect the memory card to my netbook directly ...

It could be where the shelf stockers stick them, too. I had to take my first one back and the store clerk pointed out why it didn't work. It wasn't obvious from the packaging. She directed me over to the camera department where there are plain, blank cards by Sanyo and PNY.

I got one of those adapters too, those are pretty slick. If you format your card with the computer, be sure to use FAT32 only, otherwise it won't work in your device. Most devices now have a menu item to format the cards, though, so not really much to worry about.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!