Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

?? for those who have NookColor

I was just wondering for those of you who have NookColor, how is the battery life in reality?   This is one area that will be very important for me in making the decision whether to buy or not to buy.

thanks in advance for your answers!!

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

Re: ?? for those who have NookColor

Grammaknits02 wrote:

I was just wondering for those of you who have NookColor . . .

If I may, Grammaknits, piggyback another question on your "??" thread (TIA):smileyhappy:

(If this is unduly intrusive/rude, say so and I'll never do it again.  Seriously.  Just trying to avoid creating another . . .)

How do you NOOKcolor owners rate screen glare when reading outdoors (or like conditions)? 

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I read for about 2 hours last night and still have 85% battery.

I am going to take it outside in a little bit to check out the glare, will report back.

I am test driving it, not sure I wanna keep it.

I am gonn say this, the backlit screen was great last night *gasp*

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

So far I've been impressed by both the battery performance and the screen. Reading in the sunlight isn't great, but with a little tweaking it is quite doable. The battery likewise is lasting a lot longrr than I thought it would. I've been pretty heavy on my internet usage and it still hasn't fallen below 60% each night. So I'm happy. I am also posting this directly from my NOOKcolor. :smileyhappy:
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Likewise here, the battery seems to be holding up with very heavy use. Spent 8-10 hours of heavy duty use late last night, setting up my library shelves, playing around with a lot of photos, adding music, sideloading content, setting up browser websites, playing Pandora music, etc. I had to charge it once, but in between I was connected with the USB cord for file transfers, so I can't give you much info on battery life while reading.

The file organization ability to combine B&N and sideloaded content on thematic bookshelves is nice, but the process (for 300+ books) was somewhat cumbersome. Graphics are terrific, as are the search capabilities.

Navigation is quite intuitive, with the exception of adding many books to various library shelves, or moving them. Putting too many books on one shelf is not very workable. I wish there was a way to tile through individual shelves like there is with the complete library and with your searches.

The screen is also very responsive, no lagging whatsoever.

PS.. My significant other has a pandigital reader; there is NO COMPARISON; the B&N reader is at least 4 times more responsive and user friendly.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
lcrkz0023
0 Kudos

You can add me to the list with the above to post. My batt life is better than expected(note: my expectations weren't to high I own a lot of hitech device so I'm use to mediocre batt life) but NC seems fine for me...I stayed surfing the web etc...I'm satisfied. So far so good. If done right B &N can do something nice this device with updates in future.
Frequent Contributor
HipHopSays
0 Kudos

i think it's OK (at best)....i am in nyc and I charged it up and left on the wi-fi....i downloaded a book and some freebie friday books. headed to my library to get a card so i can 'check out' ebooks, decided to read for about an hour before heading to the union sq (NYC) B&N...where I used my 'free' read hour and spent another 2 hours reading student papers. Met friends Sbux where I did an hours worth of surfing....all told I was out and about for 6 (maybe 6.5) hours and once I got home I was in need of a charge....

After yesterday I am wondering if I should return it because of this....I am typically out and about for 12-18 hours of the day (I am grad student and I work) and when I do fly my trips average about 8-9 hours (family lives in amsterdam). If I do keep it I have to be uber mindful to shut off the wi-fi when only reading and to keep the brightness to an 'as needed' basis.....in order to preserve the battery life.

Distinguished Correspondent
morgman

I think the battery is pretty good, could be a little better.  As a heavy reader, bottom line I just have to remember to plug it in nightly, as long as I do that, no problems.  

Regarding the question about screen glare - get the protective film / cover from B&N.  Costs about $17, but was pleasantly surprised to see it also included cloth for cleaning and 2 screen films.   Since I've put it on, the glare is a little better, and the fingerprints have gone way down. 

Frequent Contributor
canytkd
0 Kudos

I'm not getting anywhere near this kind of battery life. I charged my NC yesterday. Today I finally sat down to read in the evening. I probably read on and off about 2 hours, and the battery was in the red zone. That's with the brightness turned way down dim. WiFi was on some of that time, off some of that time. I'm getting frustrated. I can't take it anywhere; it's useless without a place to plug it in. For serious reading where I expect to get into a book and read for hours, I'd have to go back to my classic nook. It isn't worth taking on a trip; the charge won't last through the trip.

I just charged it again. It took 2 hours.      2 hours to charge, 2 hours of use.   :smileysad:

Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

Turn your wifi off I had my nookcolor on minus the wifi only time I turned it on was when national geographic was installing the new issue that was around 1pm pacific time its is now 11:30 pm pacific and I have 77% battery left using it off and on.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Contributor
graham1298
0 Kudos

I have had little trouble with battery life and i use it quite often, for more thn just reading. I am hey please with the performance of the device, battery life as well as the screen performance both at night, under those lovely flourescent lights at the office and ouside in direct Sun light.
Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

I easily get 8 to 10 hours of battery life per charge.  Granted, I take the two seconds it takes to turn off the wifi when I'm not using it, and I don't have the screen lit up like a Christmas display.  These are two things which suck life out of any battery-dependant piece of technology.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

I've had about 6-9 hrs of battery life from the NC, probably could get more but I haven't run it all the way down so I can't say for sure how long it would have lasted. Sometimes I remember to turn off the wifi, but not always, and I put it to sleep when I'm done reading instead of waiting for it to go to sleep on its own. I generally keep the brightness way down, and do a LOT of reading in bed on the night setting (which seems to make the battery last even longer). Maybe in the summertime when I turn the brightness up higher outside, it won't last as long, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. I can't read anything, including a DTB, for more than 6 hrs without my eyes falling out of my head!

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

[ Edited ]

Grammaknits02 wrote:

I was just wondering for those of you who have NookColor, how is the battery life in reality?   This is one area that will be very important for me in making the decision whether to buy or not to buy.

Hi Grammaknits02.

I've owned a Nook since last Feb and have loved every minute of it. I got my Nook Color a few days before Christmas. I honestly did not expect to love my Nook Color as much as I loved my Nook.

I had never been able to get more than two days battery life on my Nook because I read every second I can, even if it's a page or two. Even with airplane mode on, I am definitely a battery hog. I charged it every night, because if I didn't, I'd get too low to finish out the next day.

WIth my NookColor. I'm suprised at how well the battery is holding it's charge. I expected to run it dry every couple of hours but only twice has it popped up to tell me to recharge before bed time. 15-30 minutes of recharging can get me through till bed time.

I do charge every night and read in bed while it's charging. I'm a side sleeper, so I use a picture frame easel to set the Nook or NookColor in it horizontally on a night stand next to my bed and read till I fall asleep. No lights to remember to turn off which hubby loves and if I fall asleep reading, the NookColor puts itself to sleep too. I've also found that I'm getting more sleep at night. I often wake up at 3 or 4am and can't fall back asleep for several hours if at all. If I turned on the light to read, it would wake up hubby. Now, I just wake up the NookColor and start reading and poof! I've fallen back asleep. No lights to bother hubby. I'm actually sleep at least 7 hours a night now. Yeah!!!

I was also very worried about the backlight on the NookColor. I do not enjoy reading on my computer. It is a difficult and unpleasant experience for me so I keep it to a minimum. If I need to proof my work, I print it up and proof it that way because I can see it better to spot errors. I was pretty sure the NookColor would be the same, but I did want the ability to read my craft books, etc with color. It does have beautiful color. Very beautiful. It hasn't been bad to read on.

I found that the NookColor lets you choose different colors for the page background that helps a lot when reading. I choose a sepia background and adjust the brightness according to conditions. I can read fine in the shade by adjusting the brightness but in direct sunlight, I have to break out my Nook Classic. I find myself using the NookColor much more than I had thought I would, only using the classic when I'm going to be on a long car trip, or outside in the sun.

I find it much easier to use than the classic as well, functions are more easily accessable and usable. A few things I had to come ask questions on how to do or where to find it, but overall, it's been much easier and pleasant to use than I expected.

I have to admit that if it were not for the ability to read in direct sunlight and the occasional need for the longer battery life, I would probably get rid of my NookClassic and stick with the NookColor.

I don't experience the expected eye strain or headaches that I thought that I would have to deal with.

If EInk ever becomes color and works similar to the NookCOlor, it will be the best of both worlds and that will be my Nook of Choice.

I wasn't expecting to use the web on the NookColor very often, but I've found that it's actually easier to check in with my daughters facebook pages to keep up with the grandkids on my NookColor. I also like being able to check on Doug Pardees thread for free books wherever I might be. (one or the other of the Nooks are always with me)

Still haven't gotten the email thing down yet, but that's next on my "to-do" list.

Hope this was helpful.

pamela

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

pamela,

thanks that was one of the best user reviews I have read on the nook color. Especially for those of us not interested in full android apps and such. If I decide I need one, the features you describe are the ones I am most likely to use. 

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.:smileyhappy:

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

New User
DEE2011
0 Kudos

I READ GOOD 4 HOURS TODAY AND THEN THE BATTERY TURNED RED STILL READ A LITTLE MORE THEN CHARGED IT FOR 3 HOURS. I LOVE IT. ITS GREAT. WORTH IT BUT ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS I DONT KNOW HOW TO DELETE BOOKS I ALREADY READ....