Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
yarnmam
0 Kudos

how to transfer book from PC to nook

purchased and downloaded book from B&N to my hard drive, how do I get it to my nook?  My nook won't connect to 3G for some reason, it used to at same place  --  do not have wifi access

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Re: how to transfer book from PC to nook

Really, you want to get this on your NOOK via WiFi or 3G.  If you sideload the book, it will be in My Documents, not My B&N Library.  I'd go somewhere you can get 3G or WiFi access; try a library, or a coffee shop, or even McDonald's.

New User
YogiLJ
0 Kudos

What is sideload?

New User
yarnmam
0 Kudos

not sure what sideload means -- Thank you for the reply

Bibliophile
bklvr896

yarnmam wrote:

purchased and downloaded book from B&N to my hard drive, how do I get it to my nook?  My nook won't connect to 3G for some reason, it used to at same place  --  do not have wifi access

Connect your Nook to your PC with the USB cable.  The computer should recognize the Nook and assign it a drive letter.  Mine gives it a drive letter and it says "Nook" next to it.

Find your book on the PC.

Expand the Nook drive in the left pane of Windows explorer so you can see the folders.  Drag the book file (.epub) to the My Documents folder.  If you downloaded directly from the website, make sure the filename doesn't include 2 periods, something like mybook.v2.epub.  If it does, you need to rename it before transferring it to the nook and get rid of the period before .v2.  The Nook has to recognize it as a .epub. 

After copying to the Nook, properly eject the Nook by right mouse clicking on the Nook drive and select eject.  Your nook should then leave USB drive mode and go back to your screen saver or whatever book you had open at the time.  Then you can disconnect from the computer.

Go to My Documents on the touch screen and tap "Check for New content".  Your book should be on the Nook at this point.

The instructions for sideloading are in the User Guide and there is a Video on the support page that shows how to sideload, under question 6. 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-support-managing-your-library/379002489/?cds2Pid=35611

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Sideloading is the process where you connect your NOOK to your computer with the cord, and transfer books over.  You will use it to load books from any store EXCEPT B&N, or library books.  It's definitely something you will want to learn how to do.  However, before everyone gets confused, it's NOT what you want to do here.  Your ebooks go into two separate libraries:  My B&N Library and My Documents.  Any Barnes and Noble books will automatically download (via 3G or WiFi) and put themselves into My B&N Library.  This is where they belong.  If you sideload a book, even if it DOES come from B&N, it will ONLY go in My Documents.  Plus, the next time you get WiFi access and check for new content, I bet you would wind up with a duplicate in My B&N Library, too.

The solution is to find somewhere with WiFi you can access and download it there.

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

And while I was typing that out, blkvr896 just gave a nice description of sideloading.  Again, you will need this for books you get from sources other than Barnes and Noble.

New User
yarnmam
0 Kudos

issue solved THANKS -- My PC did not see the nook when I connected the USB, but after I connected it and then turned it on, the PC found it -- Thanks again to all.............

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

A suggestion.  Your nook is capable of accepting an expansion card.  Up to 16 GB.  You can get an 8 GB card for less than $20.  Shop around.  Get the card, the manual explains how to install it.  It takes less than a minute.

Once the card is installed plug the nook into your computer.  You computer will recognize it and you will now have two new drives--one labled nook (drive letter) and one with just a (drive letter).  Go to that drive and create one or more new folders.  For example: my documents, my wallpaper, my music, my screensavers etc.  I simply duplicated what was already on the nooks's internal memory card less the B&N folder.  Now put all your sideloaded material on this drive.  The only things that go on the nook's original internal memory are B&N books and library books.  As a note you could put B&N books on the new drive and the nook will read them but it won't sync with your B&N account.

This way if anything happens to the nook's internal memory you don't loose your sideloads and you have the maximum amount of storage for B&N books.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

@MLBerry,

Excellent description.  This is exactly what I have done since I got my nook.  Only difference is I use a 16G card and put some music files on it in addition to all my sideloaded books.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
poolly
0 Kudos

Can you transfer books even if you don't have a SD card?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

poolly wrote:

Can you transfer books even if you don't have a SD card?

Yes

New User
Edawen
0 Kudos

Thank you.