Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

iPad not a Dud....

They are certainly selling a lot of them.  We know Apple will release the real numbers, they like to do that.  I'd really like to know how many nooks, kindles and sony's are out there...

Day 1 estimate: 120,000 iPads sold

I don't necessarily agree with all the math in the article, but I bet they aren't too far off.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

Re: iPad not a Dud....

They might be selling a lot of them but that doesn't mean people are primarily buying them for their e-book capabilities (although that may be one of the reasons).  Comparing Nooks, Kindles and iPads isn't really a valid comparison.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

They might be selling a lot of them but that doesn't mean people are primarily buying them for their e-book capabilities (although that may be one of the reasons).  Comparing Nooks, Kindles and iPads isn't really a valid comparison.

I agree.  The Kindle will automatically have more sales than nook just because it is open to international sales.  There is no telling about the nook and B&N still hasn't released numbers for the nook to date. The iPad is its own device and could beat both easily because of all of its features. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Tboner
0 Kudos

I agree.  The Kindle will automatically have more sales than nook just because it is open to international sales.  There is no telling about the nook and B&N still hasn't released numbers for the nook to date. The iPad is its own device and could beat both easily because of all of its features. 

The IPAD easily could fail BECAUSE of its features. Doing too much poorly can be bad marketing.

Only time will tell in this case.

AlanNJ

Quite honestly I haven't figured out exactly what the iPad does except act like an iPhone on steroids (except it doesn't make calls).  I just don't see what market it's focusing on.  Maybe that's the beauty of it.  I don't know.  But I do know I haven't seen a compelling reason to purchase one yet.  It was announced prior to my purchasing a Nook and I puchased a Nook.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Quite honestly I haven't figured out exactly what the iPad does except act like an iPhone on steroids (except it doesn't make calls).  I just don't see what market it's focusing on.  Maybe that's the beauty of it.  I don't know.  But I do know I haven't seen a compelling reason to purchase one yet.  It was announced prior to my purchasing a Nook and I puchased a Nook.

I can see it selling to textbook users, those that use technical manuals, manga readers very easily...  Would I want one for myself, no...

Frequent Contributor
SkeeterHarris
0 Kudos

My perspective on the iPad and I think the numbers posted here are wrong....

Apples iPad Blog Post

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

SkeeterHarris wrote:

My perspective on the iPad and I think the numbers posted here are wrong....

Apples iPad Blog Post

I stated when I posted the article that I thought the math was a bit fuzzy.  One factor to keep in mind though, Apple fanboys (girls) are the most loyal consumers out there, and they buy and buy and buy.

Frequent Contributor
SkeeterHarris
0 Kudos

Yes they are... it certainly it will be interesting to see and hear peoples perspective on the iPad as a book reader.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

I can guarantee it will be the GREATEST book reader in the world!  Kindle, Nook and Sony should all be out of business.  Of course, that depends on if you give the fanboys any credibility.

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh

AlanNJ wrote:

I can guarantee it will be the GREATEST book reader in the world!  Kindle, Nook and Sony should all be out of business.  Of course, that depends on if you give the fanboys any credibility.

The greatest at what is the real question. Greatest at sales? Maybe, possibly it could. Greatest at readability and book reading emersion? I really don't think so. The greatest ereader to have lots of little .99 cent video games? Without a doubt! lol. :3

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

if it  can read PDF Schmatics and have the schmatic in clean detail then I could see a reason for it, though I just don't think it will be rugged enough for that market.  Mean while a lower end light weight laptop can do that and has a cover for the screen in the work enviorment I deal with.  Food Plants in production area-etc.    Once again what market is it looking for.  Just the Fan Boy and Girls

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The ipad is indeed an item for fanboys and girls with too much disposable income.  It is an ipod touch in gigantor size that truly lacks features that should be standard in a device that has such a sizeable footprint. 

That and it also clearly lacks a coherently stated purpose.  Is it an ereader?  It's display makes it less than suitable for that for long periods of time for a great many people.  Is it a technical pdf document and drawing viewer?  As stated many people who would use such a device might rather have something that can be more easily protected on the worksite.  Is it a netbook?  Here it fails in very substantial ways-no flash capability, an additional cost for 3G, other obvious things such as the need for an add on keyboard to use instead of its touch one.  Is it mainly for newspapers and magazines with video content?  A reasonably priced netbook can do as much.  Is it then a prop to build up itunes sales with additional content so that it becomes a one stop shop for mp3s, ebooks, vids, pdfs, et al.  I think so.

The other point of interest is this-is it user friendly?  For what it reportedly does, yes and no.  Touch screens are great.  But, in such a large device great greasy smudges, Batman.  Yuck!  Also, of course it uses Apple's really sucky idea that users should run back to them for battery changes.  Oh great, you pay anywhere from $500 to $800 for a device, the battery dies and you have to get it to Apple which reportedly (this from a national source) charges $99 for you to exchange the ipad for a refurbished one instead of changing the battery.  Fun. 

All this and it does play those lovely little games from the app store, so I think I can throw out my PC, my Wii, and my PS3 for an ipad.  Yeah, right.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
deemure
0 Kudos

The one problem I see with any fanboy or girl is the lack sometimes of independent thinking.  Sometimes it's the case of the emperor's new clothes, but they will not say it.

As someone who has purchased Apple products, computer, iphone, and such, I can say that sometimes they fail in very big ways, but since they are seen as giant killers going against Microsoft, their fan base is indeed loyal, to a fault.  It's high time they were told to make a product that is complete upon release and not just throw any old thing out there and rely upon slavish followers to buy.  Their customers deserve better, certainly their fans do, because they stuck with them even when they had to get help from the big M or they were certain to fail.  People forget that Jobs and company were once all but down the tubes, so they don't know or do everything.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

Frankly, given the unfathomable loyalty of that core of Apple fans who will buy each and every major Apple product that's announced (regardless of whether or not they actually need it), 120K the first day seems a bit underwhelming to me.

Correspondent
Large_Marge
0 Kudos

Every time I hear about the iPad I can't help but think about this commentary by Susan Estrich.

http://www.creators.com/opinion/susan-estrich/the-value-of-diversity.html

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Quite honestly I haven't figured out exactly what the iPad does except act like an iPhone on steroids (except it doesn't make calls).  I just don't see what market it's focusing on.  Maybe that's the beauty of it.  I don't know.  But I do know I haven't seen a compelling reason to purchase one yet.  It was announced prior to my purchasing a Nook and I phased a Nook.

I can see it selling to textbook users, those that use technical manuals, manga readers very easily...  Would I want one for myself, no...

I agree.  I will use mine for textbooks, Excel/Numbers spreadsheets for travel, Kindle app for nighttime reading, IM with a better screen when my husband is deployed, photo transfer and display while on the go, as well as my normal apps.  Things I use on iPhone that will be far better on iPad will be those which use the bigger screen more efficiently like movies, Google maps, reading news with pictures or other supplements, etc.  Netflix is coming out with an iPhone app and if it and Slingmedia create apps for the iPad that would be a huge boost to it. 

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If I were to ever consider one, I would wait for a 3rd gen at least.  Sad, for a company that has similar albeit smaller products out there, that such an expensive item is incomplete upon launch.  I would have thought the foibles of the iphone would have taught them.  But, oh wait they didn't care that it had more limited functionality than similar phones out there when it was launched because fools still bought them thinking they were nextgen.  They weren't even current gen, nor is the ipad.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51

I am reminded of P.T. Barnum's famous quote. It seems Apple has fine tuned the art of appealing to the short attention spanners.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

I have 2 Nanos and an iPhone but strangely enough no interest at all in the iPad.  I just can't figure out its purpose.  I'm thrilled with my other Apple products but I know what they're for.  Maybe we'll find out after April 3rd when the iPad is actually released.