Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
xtina823
0 Kudos

Re: iPad not a Dud....

I have considered waiting and getting the iPad. However, I want a device that is small and compact, that I can fit in my purse. I just want an eReader, not an eReader and the whole nine yards. 

Owner of a Nook, March 22, 2010
Name: Gizmo
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

There is a simple reason there is no memory card slot in the iPod or iPad.

When you fill up your 16GB iPad they get to sell you a 32GB one.

When that one is full you can spring for the 64GB.

Frequent Contributor
imno007
0 Kudos

I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize if someone has already brought up this point, but doesn't the iPad have the regular o'l LCD screen you'd find on any monitor or laptop? If so, why are people thinking it's so great for reading ebooks? You'd get the same eyestrain. And a $300 netbook would have more features - so what's the great big deal about the iPad?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

imno007 wrote:

I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize if someone has already brought up this point, but doesn't the iPad have the regular o'l LCD screen you'd find on any monitor or laptop? If so, why are people thinking it's so great for reading ebooks? You'd get the same eyestrain. And a $300 netbook would have more features - so what's the great big deal about the iPad?

Because Apple is a marketing machine.  If they say the iPad is great for reading ebooks, that's what people believe.

Frequent Contributor
imno007
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Because Apple is a marketing machine.  If they say the iPad is great for reading ebooks, that's what people believe.

LoL, that's about what I figured.

Contributor
VampireReaderCA
0 Kudos

I agree, The Ipad is great and no where near a dud. I love it!

I still love Barnes and Noble and will forever be a fan and customer.  I though I was patiently waiting for the ereader download for the Ipad, but I have to admit I'm a little tired of waiting .

This site has forever said "coming soon" Okaaaaay:smileysad:.... what is soon? I keep looking to see if they would be kind enough to give us updates, but they do not...what's up with that. Uggg. I simply do not understand. As I type this my hope are still up and I always look for the email that states new app hs arrive for ipad::womansad:

So if anyone else is like me and feels left out in the cold, this may help; I have downloaded my books on my ipad from my iphone app. It is a little blurry at 2x but, it is a whole lot better than holding a dinky phone. and I want the book's i bought on my Ipad:smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

I don't know.  I'd briefly considered getting one, but have ultimately decided against it.  I have my macbook which serves my computing needs.  I have my iPod Nano which serves my music needs.  And I have my nook which serves my reading needs.  I don't need an iPad.

Plus?  Last week there was a guy across from me on the bus with one, and his screen was so smudged from him navigating the thing I don't see how he even had a clear view of the screen.  It just looked gross.

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

VampireReaderCA wrote:

It is a little blurry at 2x but, it is a whole lot better than holding a dinky phone. and I want the book's i bought on my Ipad:smileysad:

That blurriness comment is a killer for me.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When this was said I believe it is referring to the B&N iPhone app being used on the iPad.  Because the app was made for the iPhone and not the iPad its resolution is not the greatest. When B&N launches the iPad B&N eReader it should look very crisp.

The backlight of the iPad is what kills me.  And the fact its running on the iPhone / iPod Touch OS

AlanNJ wrote:

VampireReaderCA wrote:

It is a little blurry at 2x but, it is a whole lot better than holding a dinky phone. and I want the book's i bought on my Ipad:smileysad:

That blurriness comment is a killer for me.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Contributor
jen04
0 Kudos

Alley, I think his point was batteries are supposed to be REPLACEABLE.  A broken screen or button is a warrenty issue.  A dead battery should be completely fixable by the owner. You shouldn't have to send it back for a new one. 

Jennifer

Contributor
VampireReaderCA
0 Kudos

Re: WoW Barnes & Noble e reader is Awesome! Making iPad not a Dud....

Okay! This app is awesome and well worth the wait!!! I love it. It was a long time coming ,but I got my email today as promised by Barnes & Noble. The e-reader download is soooo awesome that, I want to use this e-reader download as my primary and get most of my book's from Barnes & Noble. I can't believe just yesterday I gave up and transfered my books to my iphone . What a dud I am.... By the way, the Ipad is far from a dud, and this e-reader makes it Oh Sooooo Perfect!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Interesting thread as my hubby and I have an ongoing debate on whether I should have bought an IPAD, "because it does a lot more things" as opposed to being an ereader devoted to what I bought it for...to read with........because I read ALOT!!!

We had gone to Lubbock in April for a Cotton GInners show (as FIL owns a cotton gin) and on the plane back, the guy in the seat beside me had an ipad. Admittedly it was a pretty cool looking device. He played games and read men's magazines on it during the flight and the graphics display was incredible. Hubby was drooling.

Okay, so I can see the appeal.

Hubby loves his iphone, thinks it's the greatest device he's ever owned. It is pretty cool, but only because his job pays for the data plan that allows him to use all those cool features, and he's probably spent a small fortune on apps for it. Whatever, he thinks the Ipad would be awesome too. He's not a Apple fanguy, just a techno geek who loves gadgets and computers.

The Ipad probably would be perfect for him, because he isn't a reader. He waits for the movie to come out. :smileyhappy:

For me...like he'd pay for my data plan! Yeah right, a man who put us on Vonnage at 10 bucks a month for a limited number of minutes and complained when I approached the limit where our payments would go to $25 a month! He won't even pay for a data plan for my phone!!! THis is the man who would willingly pay for my data plan AND the additional hundreds of dollars for a device I only wanted to read on? yep...sure... A man who complains when I buy a book for 1.99. uh huh......

I bought the right product for ME. I am a reader, I get headaches easily since I had a childhood disease in the 60s. I wear glasses that are a 1/4 in thick even with the lightest weight lens available. I NEED a device that allows me to read for extended periods of time comfortably. And doesn't cost extra money every month that my hubby can gripe about. (I know if it was HIS ipad though, he'd find a way to convince his job to pay for the data plan! LOL!) 

And the IPAD wouldn't fit in my purse!!!

It's not so much a matter of which is the better device, but which one suits YOUR needs best.

No one can convince me that I should buy an IPAD just to read with. No one can convince my hubby that anyone would need a device JUST to read with.

pamela

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I found this article on ComputerWorld.  Granted it's comparing the Kindle to the iPad but for our purposes I think "Kindle" and "Nook" are interchangeable in the context of the article.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9176808/Elgan_Why_iPad_owners_need_a_Kindle_too

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

...And the IPAD wouldn't fit in my purse!!!...

pamela

Who needs a purse!  Just get your self one of those handy shirts or dresses that have built in iPad pockets: http://www.iclothing.com.au/

:smileyhappy:

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

how in the heck does one sit down comfortably in that dress? with a 2 pound ipad in the way? What about going out to eat? You know darn well that if you only spill food or drink on you once in a lifetime, you're going to dump it right into that pocket with the ipad in there!!!

And..Let's just advertise to everyone on the street what you got in that pocket? Just imagine the embarrassment when a thief doesn't bother with your purse, but rips that dress off in his/her grab and run thievery!!! Or at least exposes more than you want in the attempt!! Does anyone else REALLY need to see a screaming woman with bared thunder thighs and jelly rolls chasing a thief who snagged her ipad? Because she didn't have enough sense but to tote it around on her belly in a shirt pocket? Uh huh.

Oh yeah...I don't need a purse when I could have that kind of comfort and security!

Nope, Let me keep my Nook and my dignity.

pamela

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,995

SlaughterS wrote:

Who needs a purse!  Just get your self one of those handy shirts or dresses that have built in iPad pockets: http://www.iclothing.com.au/

Some Aussies apparently spend too much time around kangaroos.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

I bought an Hp Mini Netbook for my wife. It fits right in her purse. It is about half the price of the ipad and it is an actual computer. It has a big hard drive in it and you can read library books on it.