Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
crenita

if you ever get books from the library.. you may want to take note of this..

Now ?? was there ever a LIMIT on the times a hardback book could be LENT from the Library ????????????

This article came from  the Library Journal.com

HarperCollins Puts 26 Loan Cap on Ebook Circulations

The new provisions, the first significant revision to ebook lending terms, were revealed to LJ by the publisher after an OverDrive letter to its library customers outlined the change in general terms--without naming the publisher or the details of the new restrictions.

More details on the new terms are set to be announced next week.

If a lending period is two weeks, the 26 circulation limit is likely to equal roughly one year of use for a popular title. For a three-week lending period, that stretches to a year and a half.

For librarians—many of whom are already frustrated with ebooks lending policies and user interface issues—further license restrictions seem to come at a particularly bad time, given strained budgets nationwide. It may also disproportionately affect libraries that set shorter loan periods for ebook circulation.

While HarperCollins is the first major publisher to amend the terms of loan for its titles, two other members of the publishing "big six"—Macmillan and Simon & Schuster—still do not allow ebooks to be circulated in libraries, much to the consternation of librarians

http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/home/889452-264/harpercollins_puts_26_loan_cap.html.csp

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

Re: if you ever get books from the library.. you may want to take note of this..

What???? That is totally unfair! 26 times is hardly anything when you think of how many a paperback or hardcover can circulate for!! A hardcover can be like 40+ years old and can still be used. (ok mabye not that many but still). That makes me so frustrated.

Stupid publishing companys!:smileymad:

Ok calmer now, I see the other side too but it would be nice if they put like a 50 circulation instead of 26.

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: if you ever get books from the library.. you may want to take note of this..

@crenita

Thanks -- that's the corroboration people were looking for.

There it is, folks:  another hearty "the hell with you!" to the reading public from the Agency Five!:smileymad:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

Wonderful.  I would guess the majority of people that picked Nooks over Kindles did so because of library access and Overdrive.  Now that advantage is being minimized.  Personally I think it's all because electronic books can be policed and controlled more than DTB's.  No library is going to ship DTB's back to the publisher after a year or whatever time frame is chosen but it's a simple matter to kill the borrowing rights to an e-book.

To this I say "PFFFT"!

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
goddessqueen

I, too, say pfffft!

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

goddessqueen wrote:

I, too, say pfffft!

What does that mean???

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

To this I say "PFFFT"!

I believe this is the first time I've seen a four-letter word expressed in five letters. :smileyvery-happy:

I guess the only way that I can have an impact on this is with my wallet. I can stop reading and stop buying products from those publishers. It's sort of akin to the cost of e-books being so high. It is one thing to remark on it, another thing to rant about it -- the simple solution is don't buy it.

I realize this may have an impact on authors, but then I also feel that authors should not be turning so much control over to the publishers for any format -- whether audio, printed or digital -- I don't care what kind of money they are offered.

Perhaps those authors should consider going with another publisher, or at least standing up for themselves, and see that they were paid for a book, not their souls. Although there are some I'm dubious about. :smileywink:

When things get so greedy that it becomes widely detrimental to others, they shouldn't be surprised when the tables are turned no matter who is at fault. The "Let them eat hay" attitude doesn't go far in this day and age.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
DenisePW
0 Kudos

Well, if that's going to be the case, why can't I lend my copy 26 times?  Why only once for 14 times?  

AND, remove or extend the time limit!!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

DenisePW wrote:

Well, if that's going to be the case, why can't I lend my copy 26 times?  Why only once for 14 times?  

AND, remove or extend the time limit!!

Libraries pay more for their copy of the eBook than you do, which is why the can lend it at all.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover

AlanNJ wrote:

Wonderful.  I would guess the majority of people that picked Nooks over Kindles did so because of library access and Overdrive.  Now that advantage is being minimized.  Personally I think it's all because electronic books can be policed and controlled more than DTB's.  No library is going to ship DTB's back to the publisher after a year or whatever time frame is chosen but it's a simple matter to kill the borrowing rights to an e-book.

To this I say "PFFFT"!

I'm in complete agreement with what the others have said...PFFFT! 

This is one of those times that I hope that the publisher's greed will backfire and when libraries can no longer afford to keep buying the same ebook over and over (and thus, the library won't have copies of the popular books from this publisher), I assume it will simply increase the piracy of that publisher's books.

Yeah, I know.  Piracy is wrong.  It's illegal and in my opinion it is stealing.   

However, when greedy publishers/authors take away some of the legitimate ways of getting the books, then people look toward illegal methods.  Yes, people could just fork out $15 for a book (that the purchaser can't loan, can't give away, and can't even donate to someone else), or they can skip that particular book.  But let's face it, there are a lot of people who can't afford to spend that much on books.  I'm one of them.  The only reason I could justify the price of my Nook was knowing that I'd be able to use library books with it.  For the people who don't care about piracy laws, when the library option is taken away, then they'll go to the torrent sites. 

For now, I've got plenty of library books still on my wish list.  I've banned any Simon & Schuster or McMillan books from my Nook because of their greedy anti-library ways.  I'm protesting with my wallet.  But my voice is small.  The voice of piracy (if you believe the lawsuits from the RIAA) is loud.  While I won't pirate books, others will.  I just wish they'd only hurt the greedy publishers and not the few remaining good ones. 

Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

There is a great article here by one of my favorite authors.

I urge you to read the full article but here is an excerpt:

3. Any cure which relies on tighter regulation of the market — especially the kind of extreme measures being advocated by some people — is far worse than the disease. As a widespread phenomenon rather than a nuisance, piracy occurs when artificial restrictions in the market jack up prices beyond what people think are reasonable. The "regulation-enforcement-more regulation" strategy is a bottomless pit which continually recreates (on a larger scale) the problem it supposedly solves. And that commercial effect is often compounded by the more general damage done to social and political freedom.

Lots of free books on the site too, if you like sci-fi/fantasy, and all are high quality.  A few of the free ebooks I enjoyed so much I paid for them.  Hopefully this business model will catch on.

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies

I feel that publishers just don't understand how much of the public relies on libraries and loans to get a feel for an author.  I LOVE books.  Really.  Double-majored in undergrad because I just needed an English degree too -- not that it pertains to my grad school work in any way, shape, or form.  Just because.  And I like to OWN my books, and support my favorite authors so that they keep writing more wonderful books.  But I'm living on a student's budget.  I really don't purchase books if I'm not CERTAIN that I'll enjoy them.  That means that if I'm purchasing a book, I almost always am already familiar with the author -- usually because I've borrowed it already.

I just went through my NOOK, and sorted all of my (non-free) purchases into three categories:  Bought Blind (never read the author before), Borrowed the author from Friend before purchasing, and Borrowed the author from the Library before purchasing. The grand totals are as follows:

Friend:  70

Library:  191

Blind:  24

There were a dozen books that didn't really fit into the above categories -- I was already familiar with the author because someone gave me a book as a gift, or I read the author for a class, etc.  But when you do the math, 92% of my purchases were only made because I already knew that I liked that series, or at least that author, because of lilbrary or personal loans. 

That's actually more than I thought it was.  Wow.  Wish I could just check in with the publishers now -- still sure you want to restrict LendMe?  Want to hassle libraries about loaning books?  Sounds counterproductive to me...

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

wordsandmelodies wrote:

I feel that publishers just don't understand how much of the public relies on libraries and loans to get a feel for an author.

I honestly don't think they care.  They make more money selling books on on individual basis than they do on a few copies to libraries.

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

But it's shortsighted!  The majority of my purchases wouldn't have occurred without the library. *bangs head against the wall*  Library loans persuaded me to spend money in a way that should make publishers HAPPY.  We're talking profits for them... surely they care about this?

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

I have to agree that libraries *encourage* book buying. My love of reading was greatly enhanced by the local library as a child, and I was introduced to many authors I otherwise wouldn't have been, including Anne McCaffrey, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Robin McKinley and others. I have bought copies of those authors books (either DTB or ebook), just to have a copy I could reread when I wanted. In fact, I've probably gone through multiple copies of some books before buying the ebook version (when available). But when you can download the entire Harry Potter series (illegally) with less restrictions than a legal copy would have, it leaves a sour taste, at least in my mouth. (Especially since most of the DRM on ebooks can/has been cracked.) I do want to support the authors that write the material, I just think that the publishers current stance is alienating their customers and short sighted in the extreme. I would have loved it if Apple had thrown their weight behind no DRM or a more portable DRM across platforms (like they did with music) instead of Agency pricing. Imagine take a book you paid for on any devce (Apple, Kindle, Nook, Sony, etc) regardless of where you bought it.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

wordsandmelodies wrote:

But it's shortsighted!  The majority of my purchases wouldn't have occurred without the library. *bangs head against the wall*  Library loans persuaded me to spend money in a way that should make publishers HAPPY.  We're talking profits for them... surely they care about this?

They care about profits, but all their actions (e.g. agency model) have shown that they are as stupid and shortsighted as the music industry and are following the same disastrous path.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

wordsandmelodies wrote:

I agree but companies look to make money NOW.  I still remember when Amazon first started and everyone laughed at them because they weren't making money and everything was long-term planning.  Now look at Jeff Bezos lauging all the way to the bank.  He saw what others refused to see.  I'm not saying Amazon is a perfect company but they've certainly done well for themselves.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

wordsandmelodies wrote:

I agree but companies look to make money NOW.  I still remember when Amazon first started and everyone laughed at them because they weren't making money and everything was long-term planning.  Now look at Jeff Bezos lauging all the way to the bank.  He saw what others refused to see.  I'm not saying Amazon is a perfect company but they've certainly done well for themselves.

Alan - I agree.  Amazon has an amazing knack for getting people to use their service (including me...except in the ebook system).

And now that the publishers are attacking libraries (yeah, that's my term for it), the one thing that makes Nook and Sony and Kobo all superior to Kindle is being throttled.  In the long run, if the greedy evil publishers get their way and force libraries to stop buying ebooks, then Kindle wins, Nook/Sony/Kobo flounder, and the honest people who read ebooks lose. 

Contributor
tmgn
0 Kudos

Just great...last week I recommended a Nook to someone I know.  She wasn't sure if she wanted to buy a Kindle or a Nook for her mother.  I asked her if her mother borrows library books, and she said that her mother does.  I informed her that her mother could borrow library books through the Nook.  I guess I should call her and tell her about the limitations now being put on library ebooks.  She may change her mind about which ereader to purchase.  She needs to base her purchase on all known information.

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

[snip]
I still remember when Amazon first started and everyone laughed at them because they weren't making money and everything was long-term planning.  Now look at Jeff Bezos lauging all the way to the bank.  He saw what others refused to see.  I'm not saying Amazon is a perfect company but they've certainly done well for themselves.

Amazon consistently performs for me.  I have ordered a lot of stuff from them over the years...I have been a customer since they started, for everything from DTBs (that was their only product in the beginning), to TVs and computers.  Their CS is excellent, and their prices are routinely excellent, often the best -- especially with free shipping and no tax.  I am a big fan..they are not the Evil Empire...
I actually started my e-reader shopping with Amazon because of the visibility of the Kindle, but ended up with a Nook after I researched them both...and here I am...

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]