Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

Re: is there anything that you don't like about the nook?

pamsie wrote:

Statomattic,

Thanks for the respnse it was extremely informative. You mentioned that one of the drawbacks was that the battery life is not as long as BN has described, how often do you hare to recharge yours?

That depends entirely on how you intend to use the Nook.  If you want to spend hours upon hours a day reading on it, or can burn through 500 pages in a day then your battery probably will only last a few days.  If you are the average Nook user, like me, and read an hour or two a day and read maybe a hundred pages or so, check the daily once, maybe connect to the shop once or twice a day, then your battery will last a lot longer.  I have never had to charge mine more often than once a week.

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Frequent Contributor
Kunde
0 Kudos

I bought my nook today, and I must say that I am really impressed. For me the nook did not only kill the kindle, but also the ipad... hehe. Yes, the ipad can do lots more, but none of it really good. I love the nook!!!

One thing I would prefer to be different is switching the back/forward buttons on the side. I can hold the nook comfortably in one hand, but then my thumb rests close to backwards button. To press the forward button, I have to make an extra effort. Maybe its just me. It's not a big deal, but since you asked... Did I already mention that I love the device?

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

You need to do a search on swiping to turn pages.  It will make reading and page turning simpler for you and how you hold the Nook.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The only thing I can think of is organization of books or folders to keep them in better order.

I keep seeing about how often to charge or I am not getting what B&N says on charge, that has never been an issue for me I have gone to the same method as I do with my Cell Phone, If I use it heavy (read all day) I put it on charge that night, if I read lightly for a couple days, when I go to bed on second or third day I put it on charge and I never worry about the Brightness or Airplane mode, I never put it in Airplane mode unless I am on an Airplane.  I never have a charge problem.

I also have a phone car charge that fits the Nook and when I travel I routinely charge the Nook while driving.

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

I wouldn't be too concerned with battery life.  When I first got the nook I was charging it daily because I was checking everything out, leaving Wi-Fi on, looking through the shop, downloading books, trying the games, etc.  because it was new and I wanted to see everything.

After a week or two when I settled into "normal" use the battery drain slowed substantially.  I now only charge it every 3 days or so.  I read on it every day, anywhere from 50-250 pages sometimes more.

Inspired Contributor
writeway
0 Kudos

I'm taking my Nook and going to live at Nallia's house.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

My battery life has improved over time, oddly.  I can go several days without charging it.   Not that I mind plugging it in, heck I charge my cell phone every night.

Only thing I can think of right now that I don't like about the Nook is having the B&N library and the my Documents kept separately. I'd like the ability to sort them in all together, as I would mix in a regular library of print books I own and purchased from different places.

Linda

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Organization of files is what I miss the most.   But that's not a dealbreaker for me.  I literally have not read a DTB since purchasing my Nook in early March.

I've even moved some of my magazine subscriptions to e-versions although not from B&N.  I have to get my magazines currently from Fictionwise...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Contributor
NomDePlumeIL
0 Kudos

I've had my nook since February and I love it.

- I do kinda sorta miss reading paper books.  There's just something about holding a real book that can't be replicated in a e-reader.  To help replicate the "feel" of reading a real book, I edit a copy of the book cover and use it as my wallpaper and screensaver. That way, when I pick up my nook, I'm looking at the "cover" of the book and then I start reading. When I put nook to sleep, I'm looking at the "cover".  I like that a lot.  BTW, if a book comes out that I really want to keep forever, I'll buy the DTB.

- The battery life could be longer and I have not experienced the length claimed by B&N.  I keep airplane mode on, wi-fi and 3G off, unless I want to buy a book.  With airplane mode on, I only get about 4-5 days of battery life.  It's not bad but could be a lot better.

If you have an urge to get the nook, I think you'll like it.

I hope this helped.

New User
dnew
0 Kudos

Yes there is. I must say that I was upset to find that after buying my 12 year old daughter the Nook that I was also required to regiser a valid credit card on her account in order to even download a free book. I see no reasoning for this. She should be able to go into a B&N and purchase a gift card (which she does) and put the girft card on her account. However I am told that she still needs to have a credit card on the account in order to download a book that was purchased via a gift card?!?

In this day and age personal information being hijacked right and left this I believe is a bad policy. I will be looking into the other readers and possibly returning this one. I will also be letting anyone I know who is looking to purchase a Nook about this policy, I'm sure they too will be dissappointed.

New User
dnew
0 Kudos

I posted a coment regarding the required credit card on the account in order to download even free books. I purchased a Nook for my 12 year old and I do not like having to put my credit card on her B&N account in order for her to use the Nook.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

NOOKs and minors

[ Edited ]

dnew wrote:

I must say that I was upset to find that after buying my 12 year old daughter the Nook that I was also required to regiser a valid credit card on her account in order to even download a free book. I see no reasoning for this.

The credit card number is used for Barnes & Noble's DRM (Digital Rights Management, aka copy protection) system. It's used to generate an encryption key for the e-book. They figure you're not going to post your credit card number on the Internet along with the e-book.

The NOOK is not sold for minors to use. B&N's Terms of Use say:

Our products and services are marketed for and directed towards purchase by adults or with the consent of adults. Individuals under the age of 18 ("Minors") are not permitted to use Barnes & Noble websites without the supervision of a parent or legal guardian.

There are many e-books in the B&N bookstore that most parents would not want a 12-year-old to see.

Your best bet is to leave her NOOK unregistered so that she can't shop, and buy the e-books yourself. Then sideload them onto her NOOK.

Frequent Contributor
parKb5
0 Kudos

I do NOT miss lugging around books. I love the nook and I find it easier to read than a physical book for some reason. But there are some things I don't like about it.

1) The fact that the page numbers never work correctly. I have to read about 3 pages on my nook for the page number to change. I understand that the page of a physical book would not correctly size up to a page on the nook, but why can't the nook version just have more pages? I mean a paperback has more pages than a hardcover book, but they don't number consecutive pages with the same number in a paperback so that the page number count comes out the same as in the hardcover version, do they?

2) The fact that you can only download books in the US. That pretty much alienates the WHOLE REST OF THE WORLD. Contrary to popular belief people do read books outside of the United States and when I was travelling, I had to be bookless b/c I couldn't buy a new bok abroad on my nook. I really hope that they fix this, because the Kindle can be used pretty much anywhere on the planet and that could really hurt the sales of the nook.

If B&N would fix those two problems, I'd be happy.

I don't really care about the organization of books, I archive them when I am finished reading them anyway.

Eden
My first ebook is up for sale for only $0.99!
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

dnew wrote:

Yes there is. I must say that I was upset to find that after buying my 12 year old daughter the Nook that I was also required to regiser a valid credit card on her account in order to even download a free book. I see no reasoning for this. She should be able to go into a B&N and purchase a gift card (which she does) and put the girft card on her account. However I am told that she still needs to have a credit card on the account in order to download a book that was purchased via a gift card?!?

In this day and age personal information being hijacked right and left this I believe is a bad policy. I will be looking into the other readers and possibly returning this one. I will also be letting anyone I know who is looking to purchase a Nook about this policy, I'm sure they too will be dissappointed.

Having to have a credit on file is to make sure you are in the US/Canada.  I got one for my 12 year old as well and got her a pre-paid credit card from the bank the is registered in her name (if you're military USAA has them and I'm pretty sure most banks have them for kids now).  I put a few $'s on it and used it for her registration.  She uses BN gift cards for her purchases as well.  I also plan on letting her the card when she goes out with friends - it's a lot safer than carrying a bunch of cash to the mall.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

parKb5 wrote:

1) The fact that the page numbers never work correctly. I have to read about 3 pages on my nook for the page number to change. I understand that the page of a physical book would not correctly size up to a page on the nook, but why can't the nook version just have more pages? I mean a paperback has more pages than a hardcover book, but they don't number consecutive pages with the same number in a paperback so that the page number count comes out the same as in the hardcover version, do they?

I believe it has something to do with the font sizes.  You will notice that a book on extra small will hold a page number for far fewer page turns than a book on large will.  While page counts do not have to match other versions of the book, they MUST be internally consistant.  Otherwise the "go to" feature wouldnt be able to work.

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Organization is my main peeve.  I probably wouldn't have my whole ebook library on my nook, but I'd like to be able to put a series on and be able to have them in some sort of order and then be able to mark each book as read.

@ parKb5, 

1)  This doesn't bother me at all, although it may irk some.

2) If you search the board for posts about international sale of the nook, you'll see that this is not a "problem," but a process (and according to Michael-V it's being worked on).  

To quote Doug_Pardee in another post -

"The publishing contracts with authors are usually for a specific geographical area. An author might sign with one publisher for the US and Canada, and with another author for Europe. For example, theHarry Potter books are published by Bloomsbury in England and by Scholastic in the US. Consequently, books are published for sale in specific areas, and the bookseller's contract with the publisher will prescribe what regions a book can be sold in. B&N only has stores in the US, so they typically only obtain rights to sell in the US and Canada.

"Online bookselling is relatively new, and e-books are even newer. It'll take some time before publishing and bookselling contracts routinely provide international flexibility for Internet sales and delivery."

Frequent Contributor
Hoiya
0 Kudos

I don't think I'm adding much new here, but if I had a wishlist of features/things that B&N should fix to make this "perfect" it would be as follows:

1.  Better organization--by genre, etc. for both the B&N library and "My Documents".

2.  International downloads.  I do travel abroad a lot.  Most of the time, I've got a ton of books already loaded, so its not a problem, but it sure would be nice to be able to dwonload when I'm in some strange airport.  Understand there are issues around this, but this is a "wishlist".

3.  More magazines.  I got really excited about the magazines B&N was touting when they first rolled the nook out (almost all of which are conspicuously absent from the marketing materials today...).  the ones they have now don't excite me much. 

And yes, on occassion, i am boggled by why the B&N price is so different from Amazon or others, but it isn't that often.

In spite of all that, the nook is fantastic.  All of the above are "nice to have" rather than deal killers.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKs and minors

NIcely handled, Doug!

I was ignoring this one, because every draft reply I came up with started spouting flames before I finished it.  But it's an important consideration and needed to be addressed.   :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
MkR
Contributor
MkR
0 Kudos

I wanted an eBook reader and the nook is terrific at that. I really like B&N's service .. when my first Nook had some battery issues, they just gave me a new one .. no ?'s asked .. that's one reason I like it.

If there is one thing I don't like .. it is a lack of support for open applications like an RSS news reader and there are several others like that I can think of ..

Lack of an app store is probably the one thing I don't like .. other than that, it is a good eBook reader.

-M
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

MkR wrote:

I wanted an eBook reader and the nook is terrific at that. I really like B&N's service .. when my first Nook had some battery issues, they just gave me a new one .. no ?'s asked .. that's one reason I like it.

If there is one thing I don't like .. it is a lack of support for open applications like an RSS news reader and there are several others like that I can think of ..

Lack of an app store is probably the one thing I don't like .. other than that, it is a good eBook reader.

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Couldn't agree with you more on B&N service, and I'm glad you're enjoying your Nook so much -- same here.

This IS a single-purpose device, though, not a an iPad wannabe.  The "app" is -- reading eBooks! :smileyvery-happy:  I wouldn't count on its morphing into something else, or you'll be courting disappointment.

Aside from purely the technical limitations of e-ink displays in this context, if you scan back to some of the negative comments when a couple of simple games joined the lineup in 1.3, you'll get an idea of the kind of revolution that would break out around here if B&N seriously tried moving in that direction.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+