Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CaitlinY
0 Kudos

library books!

I've had my nook for almost a year and have finally gotten a library book on it. This opens a whole new (much cheaper!) world of reading. I'm pretty darn excited. For those of you looking to figure this out, check out this post:http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Using-Adobe-Digital-Editions-ADE-Libra...

Go to overdrive.com to find out if your library lends ebooks. 

Warning: library books must be side-loaded, but I'll take a side-loaded book over $10 any day. 

Correspondent
atlongster
0 Kudos

Re: library books!

That is awesome.  I've been trying to get my local library to offer ebooks, but to no avail.

I hope more libraries follow this trend.

Frequent Contributor
guinnessfc
0 Kudos

Well  I have had my NC for a week now and have read three books.  That is three more than I have read in the last 6 months.  For me it just makes it so much easier to read with an e reader.  This is my first ereader and I am pleased. It has met all my expectations.  I havent used all the features but today I logged into my local library's website and found that they utilize the e formats for loaning books.  Wow that is awesome.  They had quite a selection with many I was looking at buying.  So now I have a few more to read and it did not cost anything.  It was very easy to do as well....

Nice

:smileytongue:

Reader
Yorkiefan
0 Kudos

I ordered a Nook with 3G/Wi-fi for the specific reason that you can borrow books from the library on it.  My local library no longer offers it due to budget cuts, but as a Pennsylvania Resident I was able to apply for a library card from the Free Library of Philadelphia.  According to the email I received from my local library the card is free for PA residents and $15 for out of state.  The lending is thru Overdrive you just need a library card for a library associated with Overdrive.

I check out Overdrive thru the library before I ordered and they have tons of books.

I just figured someone can use this information.  I would never have gotten an ereader otherwise since I rarely buy books for myself (for my kids, and family yes) since I ready so much it is not cost efficient for me and I use the library system weekly.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

My Lexington, KY, library does not yet loan ebooks.  I am delighted to know that I can buy membership to another state's library system  :smileysurprised: and borrow books!

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

Contributor
janw75
0 Kudos

Are you actually in Lexington?  Scott, Franklin, and several of the other surrounding counties all offer ebooks.  I work in Lexington but actually live in Georgetown so that was good news for me.  Just thought I'd give you a heads up if you have anyone living in the other counties.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

My Lexington, KY, library does not yet loan ebooks.  I am delighted to know that I can buy membership to another state's library system  :smileysurprised: and borrow books!

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

I know that Madison county has ebooks too.  I'm from Berea and plan to go get a new library card when I visit my family there in a few weeks (I'm still a legal resident of Berea).  

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Contributor
cx3ane
0 Kudos

I just found this out a week ago.  I got a library card from Carnegie Library, but I had to go there to get it.  I have a library card from another library & with the PA access sticker I got it for free.  I also am getting a library card from Philly through the mail.  Our library does not have ebooks.  Only audiobooks.  I did a search online & found this site: http://www.publiclibraries.com/ .  

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

@cx3ane FLoP has more ebooks than CLP but between those two, you have a pretty good selection.  (I've got two books from CLP and one from FLoP on NOOK right now!)

Contributor
cx3ane
0 Kudos

Chester County has a nice section of ebooks, too.  I like FLoP, too.  Nice section.  I don't have my card yet.  I just did it earlier this week so I am waiting for it.  I want a library where they have kids' ebooks.  

Frequent Contributor
cristiansmom
0 Kudos

I just got my Nook Color today for my birthday! My library does offer ebooks so how do I get them? do I download them to my computer/sd card and then put them on the nook?? I am soooooo new to all this...

Debi

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

cristiansmom wrote:

I just got my Nook Color today for my birthday! My library does offer ebooks so how do I get them? do I download them to my computer/sd card and then put them on the nook?? I am soooooo new to all this...

Debi

You need to have a library card at your library.  You need to download and install Adobe Digital Editions and authorize your computer.   Look at the instructions in the links in my signature for detailed information and steps on installing ADE and loading library books.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

janw75 wrote:

Are you actually in Lexington?  Scott, Franklin, and several of the other surrounding counties all offer ebooks. 

Thanks janw75 and Ozman for info about KY counties.  As a KY resident, perhaps I can get a card (for a modest amount) from a county surrounding Fayette, my county of residence.  If not, I may have to give my money to PA!

Frequent Contributor
juneau
0 Kudos

I love getting library books for my Nook!

My local library is part of a statewide network, so I get the benefit of a bigger library. However, they've been very responsive to me. When I asked for books by two different authors, they bought two books by each!

Inspired Contributor
Tephie
0 Kudos

I also live outside Lexington, KY.  I live in Mt. Sterling and work in Lexington.  Mt. Sterling doesn't have ebooks either but Clark county does.  Don't know about getting a library card there though.

New User
seamgreen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here's a "How to"... when it comes to loading library books onto your Nook from the computer.

Borrowed from http://maryland.lib.overdrive.com/10066A87-F0B5-476E-97E8-85BF9B54C7D3/10/336/en/Help-FAQ-Format410....

How do I transfer Adobe eBooks to supported eBook devices?

To transfer Adobe eBooks using Adobe Digital Editions…

1. Open Adobe Digital Editions.
  2. Select the 'Library View' icon (in the upper left corner).
    The Adobe Digital Editions library is displayed.
  3. Click on the Adobe eBook you want to transfer.
  4. Drag the Adobe eBook to the eBook device [your Nook] icon in the left pane of Adobe Digital Editions.
    The 'Copy Documents' dialog box is displayed and the title is transferred.
    When transfer is complete the 'Copy Documents' dialog box closes. Disconnect the eBook device and enjoy the eBook on-the-go.

Now - the problem I ran into is that I did not see the Nook listed in this "left pane" but this was resolved by....

• removing the Nook from my PC (undocking it) & closing out of everything, if necessary
  • Attach the Nook to the PC but DO NOT OPEN any related software automatically (no Nook software, no Windows Explorer, etc.)
  • Open Adobe Digital Editions on the PC
  • Now the Nook will show up in that left pane so you can click & drag your library book!

:smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
graycyn

I got my Nook last summer, but was thrilled to find out that my local small town library had started with ebook checkouts that same year.

I like buying books that I know I will re-read over and over again, but I also like to read out of curiosity, a lot of books that I don't then feel the need to read over and the library is perfect for that. My library is part of a consortium of a number of libraries sharing an Overdrive service, so waits can be a while, but that's OK, it's kind of like Christmas when the notice arrives in my inbox.

Actually, my library is hosting an e-reader play day soon, I may go for fun. It'd be nice to see who else in town might have a reader.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Inspired Contributor
Aunt_Pie
0 Kudos

Just successfully downloaded my first library book.  Woohooo!!!!!!!!!!

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Aunt_Pie wrote:

Just successfully downloaded my first library book.  Woohooo!!!!!!!!!!

Happy reading! :smileyhappy:

LisaB