Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bch005
0 Kudos

m-edge vs. mighty bright travel booklight

Which is better, the m-edge book light or the mighty bright travel booklight?

Frequent Contributor
Adenium

Re: m-edge vs. mighty bright travel booklight

I can only speak for the m-edge, but I'm very pleased with it.  Having had a cheaper Borders clip-on LED whose battery promptly died and whose neck flopped, I wanted a light that wasn't bulky, had good light dispersion, and had an easily replaceable battery.  I'd already bought an m-edge Go jacket, so the eluminator made sense. 

It looks like both these lights use the optical lens to spread light and both have the AAA battery, so it probably comes down to whether you want to clip something on or not.  My mom just got an eluminator that she slides between her new nook and the Tupper cover and she says that works fine.  I love having the pocket for it to slide into on my cover, but if I had a different cover (ah, Oberon dreams....) I might want a regular clip-on.  The eluminator works great, I can get the screen lit completely without glare and the neck always stays in the position I put it in.  It's sleek and flat and slips easily into my little Elisalou bag either attached to the cover or loose.  The regular Mighty Bright seemed to have way too big a clip but the travel version is smaller.  I think if you do a search you'll get a lot more opinions...there was a lot of discussion on this topic when the nook was new. 

Frequent Contributor
gram944
0 Kudos

One factor for me in my choice was whether the light used "AAA" or "AA" batteries as opposed to those little round ones. Figured when traveling easier to locate the more standard type.

Correspondent
Jodisims
0 Kudos

I like the M-Edge because it has a flexible neck.  The booklight throws glare on the screen sometimes depending on how you hold it the nook and I'd much rather move the booklight rather than my hands.   And i have the M-Edge cover so it all fits together in a neat little package.  But I think anything with a flexible neck would work well.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

click here for information about sideloading library books
click here to view Nook user guide
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

bch005 wrote:

Which is better, the m-edge book light or the mighty bright travel booklight?

I've had both, I like the m-edge light better.  It slides behind my Nook in whatever case I'm using without a problem, doesn't slide around.  I move it to the top of the Nook when I'm taking is somewhere, the light fits down in the spine of my Jonathan Adler covers.

I didn't like the clip on lights, the moved around too much for me and I felt they were heavier. Of course, if you don't use a cover for the nook, but read it by simply holding the Nook, you'll need a clip on. 

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I used my husband's m-edge last night on the way home from Dallas.  I liked it pretty well even though the light is not as bright as mighty bright xtra flex 2.

Mighty Bright Pink Xtraflex 2 LED Booklight 

With the xtraflex 2, the battery can get pretty dim and you still get light comparible to the m-edge.  But the bulkiness can be an issue if you're traveling, in the hospital, whatever. 

m-edge - 1AAA batteries

xtraflex - 3AAA batteries

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

I like the m-edge.  I get long battery life from it, I like that it takes a regular battery versus the button type battery, and it goes great with my m-edge executive nook cover.

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

M-edge along with the M-edge cover is the most convenient way to go, Nothing to loose and nothing that gets in the way or falls off when not in use.

Frequent Contributor
sublimestars
0 Kudos

Do they sell these booklights at B&N, or elsewhere? I'm just curious as I'm planning on getting a booklight for my new Nook but all I see on the site is the lyra light, and I'm wondering which would be the best to buy and where I can get them.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

sublimestars wrote:

Do they sell these booklights at B&N, or elsewhere? I'm just curious as I'm planning on getting a booklight for my new Nook but all I see on the site is the lyra light, and I'm wondering which would be the best to buy and where I can get them.

B&N stores have the Mighty-bright lights.  Best Buy sells the M-Edge eluminator.

Inspired Contributor
Harrkev
0 Kudos

I had the Mighty Bright... it broke about two months after I got it.  The plastic holding the screw on the head broke.

My M-Edge (black) had a defective hinge, but M-Edge took care of my and the replacement is in the mail now.

Really, it comes down to your case.  If you have an M-edge case that supports the M-edge light, that is what you use.  Otherwise, get the Mighty Bright and baby it.

Distinguished Correspondent
MiniMischief
0 Kudos

I have the Mighty Bright and have used it since December with no problem.   As others have said I like that it uses AAA batteries and are easy to come by.  The only thing I don't like is the slight glare, but that's a result of the screen and not the light.  You'll get that with any light. I clip it to my Oberon case and move the flexible neck around to get the most light and least amount of glare.  There's nothing worse than being stuck somewhere in the dark when you want to read! 

Life is too short to read bad books. . .