Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Bailey28
0 Kudos

Re: more in store...name stores

I went to the Barnes and Noble in Arlington Heights, Illinois yesterday.  I got on the network there, and even got the "welcome to Barnes and Noble Arlington Heights" page when it connected, the system however would not allow me to download any content on the more and store pages that was listing all the free downloads.  When I went to purchase a book using my account/credit card there was no problems, browsing no problems, being on the internet connection was not a problem, it is the download of what  B & N offers its nook customers that gives you the "Network Unavailable" prompt.  I drove to Deer Park location, entered the B & N there, my nook found the network there just fine AND allowed the download just fine, so its the store and the store being able to download the content to the nooks.  Interesting piece too, Arlington Heights has no nooks in stock, Deer Park does.  Its the settings of the network. Make note of it, I told the workers so they'd know. I am sure it will get corrected.  Just frustrating.....

Contributor
AlexisStorm
0 Kudos

I keep checking back with my BN store but it continues to not allow the downloads of the more in store. But I have noticed that the more in store content has started expiring, meaning the older content is now gone. Quite disappointing. Some of it I was interested in looking at. This was a selling point for me and I would really like to be able to do this.

Contributor
vlh_butterfly
0 Kudos

Follow up to my 2/20/2010 posting. Went to the Barnes&Noble store in Manassas, VA store later in afternoon on 2/20 after following the advice of deleting CC info and address and reentering them. More in Store content downloaded successfully.

Also, went to the Reston, VA store on 2/21 -- More in Store content would NOT download. So much for CC experiment being the reason...

Returned to Springfield, VA store again today on 03/01 -- More in Store content (free Alice in Wonderland eBook) downloaded successfully, however, DIsney Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton sketches) Screensaver downloads got a "Product Not Available" message. Disappointing. :smileysad:

Seems like More in Store is hit or miss daily, from store to store, even on a repeat visit.

Another observation -- B&N seems to be leaving their in store Nook experts with little guidance -- sales person in Reston was very helpful and well-informed about most other things, but was not aware of More In Store feature let alone the issues customers are having with it. She was very grateful for my conversation with her because she said she learned more about what is going on with the Nook from me than from any store support updates she has received...Maybe I should submit my resume to B&N to be a Nook field rep -- this is kind of fun visiting all these stores and filing my reports on here! I like troubleshooting/tracking and talking to the store folks. :smileyhappy:

There seems to be a lot of talk on forums about the disconnect between where sales/cc info is stored (server) versus where the content/downloads are stored (separate server system?) -- if the computer systems are not communicating properly between them, download won't happen (Network Unavailable) whether cc info is correct or not. The question is: Are the paid downloads stored on a different server from the More In Store free content servers? Because the paid content is perfectly available from the store network, but not the free stuff. The problem is very particular to the More In Store freebies -- not ALL B&N content.

I'll follow up again if I have any more info. In spite of the kinks (which I expect and forgive for a 1st generation device), I am really loving my Nook and the ease of downloads, book selection, etc. Once this More In Store stuff gets worked out, it will be great! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Teski
0 Kudos

The stores in Bellevue, WA (where I bought my nook) and Issaquah, WA both have the More In Store, and it all works great! They had various coupons including 10% off any CD. The BN network picked up without issue, and the More In Store was there immediately. Since we go to B&N often with our daughters, this is one of the fun things that drew me to the nook.

Frequent Contributor
Titans95
0 Kudos

vlh_butterfly wrote:

Follow up to my 2/20/2010 posting. Went to the Barnes&Noble store in Manassas, VA store later in afternoon on 2/20 after following the advice of deleting CC info and address and reentering them. More in Store content downloaded successfully.

Also, went to the Reston, VA store on 2/21 -- More in Store content would NOT download. So much for CC experiment being the reason...

Returned to Springfield, VA store again today on 03/01 -- More in Store content (free Alice in Wonderland eBook) downloaded successfully, however, DIsney Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton sketches) Screensaver downloads got a "Product Not Available" message. Disappointing. :smileysad:

Have you tried Tyson's Corner?  I tried itin early February but only got the "could not connect" message.  It's frustrating since we keep getting these messages in the Daily about new More in Store stuff but I can't get the downloads!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

I went into the Bayshore, NY store on Sunday 2/28.

My nook connected immediately to the ins-store WiFi and welcomed me to the store. When I selected shop I saw all the more-in-store offers but didn't attempt to download anything since nothing interested me.

Frequent Contributor
jeffasaul
0 Kudos

Somerville NJ...  connected easily once I turned my WiFi on.  Immediately saw a coupon for 10% of CD.  I didn't stay long enough to see if I can read any books in store for free.

kp1
Frequent Contributor
kp1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I was in the Palm Beach Gardens, Fl. B&N yesterday.  Conncts to store wifi fine, and dowloaded a couple of new artcles from More in Store with no problem.  I don't believe the "read an ebook for free while in store" thing is working yet.

Didn't show up anywhere on nook if it is.

Frequent Contributor
Teski
0 Kudos

kp1 wrote:

I was in the Palm Beach Gardens, Fl. B&N yesterday.  Conncts to store wifi fine, and dowloaded a couple of new artcles from More in Store with no problem.  I don't believe the "read an ebook for free while in store" thing is working yet.

Didn't show up anywhere on nook if it is.

Ya, I don't think it is either. I tried to find a way to read a book in-store, and there was no such option.

Contributor
vlh_butterfly
0 Kudos

Being able to read any book in store for free (preview of whole book -- not the same as sample) will not be available in store for a while still. They are still working that out.

Also, connectivity can vary from visit to visit to the SAME store -- one time I go to Springfield, VA store it didn't work, next time it did, bet you next time I go it will be back to not working!

and, FYI:

Update to my 03/01/2010 post:

I misspoke regarding the download of the Alice in Wonderland screensavers -- realized later that the listing directs you to download them from www.nook.com/alice. Was able to download the .zip to PC without issue -- will need to connect Nook to computer to copy over.

[Not downloadable directly to Nook -- makes sense now that I think about it because I would need to put them in a subfolder and/or may not want all the pics on my nook.]

All other issues reported still hold true. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

vlh_butterfly wrote:

Being able to read any book in store for free (preview of whole book -- not the same as sample) will not be available in store for a while still. They are still working that out.

Also, connectivity can vary from visit to visit to the SAME store -- one time I go to Springfield, VA store it didn't work, next time it did, bet you next time I go it will be back to not working!

Entropy notwithstanding,  Fixes usually work in a forward direction and are persistent over a useful time span.

This is why we do not have to build a house each time we want to take a nap.

Contributor
CanonicalKoi
0 Kudos

I'll try the Olympia, WA store this coming week for the "More in Store".  They do not have any accessories and don't believe they'll be getting any.  The staff there is also pretty unknowledgeable about the Nook (with the exception of the manager--she has one).  The young lady working the Information Desk (where the demo Nook is) told me she asked, "What if someone asks me any questions about the Nook?"  She was handed one of the customer hand-outs and told to read it.  If it isn't covered in the pamphlet (again, with the exception of the manager), they don't know.  It seems like they'd set up some sort of training for the poor clerks since they're the ones both dealing with questions and getting stuck being yelled at for not knowing the answers.  It's very unfair to them.

Frequent Contributor
psjcal
0 Kudos

vlh_butterfly wrote:

Another observation -- B&N seems to be leaving their in store Nook experts with little guidance --

Still getting "network unavailable" when attempting to "buy" free content at Fullerton, CA B&N. I quibble w/ the thought re: nook experts -- at least at this location all the staff knows is: a) how to restart the demo nook b) they do not carry nook accessories & c) somewhere in store is the cs phone # but must ask around to find out where it is kept. This is a relatively new store w/starbuck's etc. Have not had chance to visit Santa Ana store which is larger & may offer more assistance w/nook.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

There is an upcoming nook update that will continue to improve nook performance to provide enhanced overall reading experience and in-store connectivity for nook customers to enjoy exclusive content and promotions in Barnes & Noble stores.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

There is an upcoming nook update that will continue to improve nook performance to provide enhanced overall reading experience and in-store connectivity for nook customers to enjoy exclusive content and promotions in Barnes & Noble stores.

Thank you for letting us know.

Frequent Contributor
2010bc
0 Kudos

More in the Store is up and running at the Birdcage B&N on Sunrise Blvd, Citrus Heights, CA.  The staff, especially Penelope, are very helpful.

Frequent Contributor
psjcal
0 Kudos

More in store now working at Fullerton, CA store. The store manager stated it has been working all along & indicated I didn't know what I was doing -- actually I could access more in store I just couldn't get free content. The demo had same message -- network unavailable -- oh well as long as it is now working as advertised I don't care what he thinks.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

psjcal wrote:

More in store now working at Fullerton, CA store. The store manager stated it has been working all along & indicated I didn't know what I was doing -- actually I could access more in store I just couldn't get free content. The demo had same message -- network unavailable -- oh well as long as it is now working as advertised I don't care what he thinks.

I can walk to this store!  Nope, it wasn't you, I had the problem too.  Haven't been in there lately, so it's good to know, thanks!

This store is so clueless, I had to show them the finger swipe, they kept arguing the nook didn't have that feature.

Frequent Contributor
clka
0 Kudos

2010bc wrote:

More in the Store is up and running at the Birdcage B&N on Sunrise Blvd, Citrus Heights, CA.  The staff, especially Penelope, are very helpful.

Hey, that is my store, too!  I'm in Orangevale.  I've had good luck with More in Store there for awhile now...got the Alice download most recently, and their marketing strategy worked as I bought the hardcover with the coupon on my nook for 50% off.  I've found the reaction there to nook varies on who is working any given day.  Last time I was in one salesclerk looked terrified when I asked her about accessories, but the cashier was jealous of my nook, is saving up for hers and can't wait to get one!  I'll remember to look for Penelope...

Cheryl

Reader 2
gramma2009
0 Kudos

I got my nook before Christmas. Still learning bits about it...I downloaded a LOT of free books and bought some via 3G at home. I've been to Santa Ana, CA a few times (near work), most recent visit showed More in Store...However, nowhere to sit! The cafe is full of coffee drinkers 1 per table with their laptops and handhelds; there were 3-4 student- type wooden chairs upstairs - even they were occupied. Quite a numbger of people were in the store SITTING AROUND ON THE FLOOR!! I have physical limitations which wouldpreclude me from joining those on the floor...

This experience is not at all what I envisioned, prior to purchase, when I thought about enjoying trips to B&N with my new nook..