Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
jla93
0 Kudos

movies on nook

When I was looking at the nook display at a b&n store a few months ago someone told me that you could watch movies on the nook, but there isn't anything about being able to watch movies on the nook webpage. Can you watch movies on one or not?

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: movies on nook

jla93 wrote:

When I was looking at the nook display at a b&n store a few months ago someone told me that you could watch movies on the nook, but there isn't anything about being able to watch movies on the nook webpage. Can you watch movies on one or not?

No, you cannot, and I don't expect that will ever be possible.  The e-ink display is static, as you can see when you turn a page.  It can't be adapted to continuous motion.

The Nook is a dedicated device for reading text, not a general purpose tablet computer.  It doesn't have the processing or memory resources for an intensive application like that.

Sorry if you're disappointed.  I hope it wasn't a B&N employee who dropped that misinformation bomb on you!  :smileysurprised:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
Sir-Nooks-A-Lot

No, you cannot. However, you can read the books that a lot of films are based on (Like Shutter Island) and find out that they are better than the films!! :smileywink:

"He could brush his teeth for hours, because of the mirror--looking at himself, trying to figure out a way to be." - John Irving, The 158-lb Marriage
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Nook has no flashplayer abilities; its primary function is that of an eReader...If you want to watch movies on an eReader go with iPad.  Nook's browser is primative, which considering the device's function, is all right with me.  Sir-Nooks-A-Lot is right about the books being better than the movies most of the time,too.  :smileywink: 

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

New User
lurbani
0 Kudos

I was told the same thing regarding nookcolor, at a B&N store by a B&N employee.  I was told that the movies had to be in MP4 format, that nookcolor could not play Flash movies.  This was one of the reasons I bought nookcolor.

Darkkin
0 Kudos

This thread was posted before the launch of Nookcolor. Comparing the two eReaders is like comparing apples to oranges.  They are both fruit, but each has its own functions.  Yes, the Nookcolor can play MP4 videos, but the quality isn't going to be the greatest.  Nookcolor may be getting Flash in the future, but please remember that Nook's primary function was originally that of an eReader.  It won't wash the dishes and sort the mail like an iPad.  (Steps off soapbox.) :smileytongue:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV

Sometimes it's better to do your own research. If you wanted to watch movies, maybe you should have bought a tablet that supports Flash, like the "Pan Digital, Velocity Micro Cruze, iPad. Customers that want the Nook color want a dedicated reader with the few extras and the ability to purchase wirelessly . I'm sorry you were mislead . Before, I let my husband know I wanted to upgrade my Nook 3G to the color, I really did my research. I went on to these boards, spoke to the sales people ( since the product is so new, they really couldn't answer all my questions ) then I read every review I could on line and looked at video from electronic trade shows. There are so many ways to get information these days. Then My friend got one for herself and I loved it......If we want to watch movies we have our Lap tops, itouch and TV's so the Nook color is perfect for my needs.:smileyhappy: As I LOVE to read !

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

I disagree that the quality is lacking on the NookColor videos. My husband put a bunch of my favorite dvd's on a microSD card using DVD Catalyst and they look GLORIOUS! The quality of the video is jaw-dropping, seriously. Need headphones though cuz the audio is pretty quiet.

Mainly I still use the NC for books, and don't even read magazines on it as often as I thought I would, but it's still fun to have the movies on it for when I'm trapped somewhere boring for a long time & don't feel like reading.

Reader 4
MoonGun
0 Kudos

A simple fact:  Movies play exceptionally well on the NookColor.  There are some challenges to converting movies to the format required (.mp4), and different challenges to converting Flash movies into that format, but both can be done, and the resulting movie-viewing is excellent.  I agree that headphones are a must, if you are to hear the audio well.  I purchased the NookColor specifically to have a device on which to read books and watch movies, and it is exceeding my expectations.  

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

lurbani wrote:

I was told the same thing regarding nookcolor, at a B&N store by a B&N employee.  I was told that the movies had to be in MP4 format, that nookcolor could not play Flash movies.  This was one of the reasons I bought nookcolor.

So basically you purchased a product with an important feature in mind without checking to see if it had that feature?

What am I missing here?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

lurbani wrote:

So basically you purchased a product with an important feature in mind without checking to see if it had that feature?

What am I missing here?

You are missing the fact that he is telling the original poster that in fact it does work, and what format to use.  lurbani just missed the fact that the post was 6 months ago and the orignal poster was talking about the nook classic, not the nook color.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Reader 2
gspluvr
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm new to the world according to Nook. 8') and received a Color Nook for Christmas (yes, my family let me open my gift early).  I used a program and converted my movie into the right format to view on my color Nook and it is great.

I also loaded photo graphs and showed them to my students at school.  It's a great way for me to share and not have to use my computer.

Hope you get yours working.

Sarah

Inspired Correspondent
ponkle
0 Kudos

Hi

Can you tell me what program to use to convert to the MP4 ? I just got my Nook color and I'd love to try it, thanks so much :smileyhappy:

Contributor
justnika
0 Kudos

you can use the realplayer converter to change format to mp4. I've used it for quicktime vids and it works great!

Contributor
DuncanWatson
0 Kudos

I use handbrake to convert to mp4's for my nook.  The quality is quite good but I use high-quality source files (720p).  Handbrake has the benefit of being free.

New User
lissmiss
0 Kudos

I've converted my movies to mp4 format and they still won't play.  Any idea as to why?  They are on my microSD card.

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

Wander over to the NookColor forums for specifics on video and formats. If you have an mp4 and it still doesn't play I would check the frame size. The NookColor can only play video if it is under 854 pixels wide.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Judy54JR
0 Kudos

I've tried several times to click on the color discussion and each time I get brought back to this one. I don't see anyway to get there. Any suggestions? I have both Nooks but I'm using my color at the moment.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Just tried clicking on the link for the NookColor Discussion forum in JosienJoe's message - worked fine for me . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****