Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
barbs111
0 Kudos

my book closes

A book I have been reading on my new Color Nook, now closes and the screen returns to my book shelves.  This happened with 2 other new books for a while but now it only happens to 1 book.  Any advice?  Can I delete the book from my Nook and re-load it?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: my book closes

barbs111 wrote:

A book I have been reading on my new Color Nook, now closes and the screen returns to my book shelves.  This happened with 2 other new books for a while but now it only happens to 1 book.  Any advice?  Can I delete the book from my Nook and re-load it?

If the ebook was purchased from B&N then don't delete it - archive it.  Then unarchive it.  If you actually delete it then you will have to purchase it again if you want to read it.

If it was sideloaded and you stlil have a copy of it on your PC then go ahead and delete it on your nook and then copy it over again.

Good luck . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Frequent Contributor
Capt-Nemo
0 Kudos

I returned my Nook Color and got a Classic 3-G for a similar problem. My NC kept asking me if I wanted to turn it off and then would turn itself off. It also started doing the same thing you described while I was reading books and I did do the archive trick first. I hadn't had my NC but 18 days when this started. When I spoke to BN support they told me they were getting a large amount of calls on this problem and had no answer as yet.

I personally think there are still a few glitches that need to be ironed out with the NC and I plan to get one after I'm sure there as reliable as the Classic.

New User
barbs111
0 Kudos

It was originally loaded onto my android phone and was on my NOOK when I registered it.  I will try archiving it. Thanks for your help :smileyhappy:

New User
lightmychalice
0 Kudos

barbs111 wrote:

It was originally loaded onto my android phone and was on my NOOK when I registered it.  I will try archiving it. Thanks for your help :smileyhappy:

were you ever able to resolve this problem? i am having the same exact issue. only on my nookcolor, it still works perfectly fine on my android phone. :-\

New User
barbs111
0 Kudos

I exchanged my nook for another one. Deleted the book, got credit for it and reloaded it. Still the same problem. But so far only with one book. All others seem to be working as the should.
Contributor
rmd3780
0 Kudos

I have had the same issue with one book.  I got about half way through it - 200 pages or so - and then one day it would open, then close within 2-3 seconds.  I had done extensive highlighting in the book and I was wondering if that might be the issue - a broken pointer or link related to the highlighting.  I tried the whole archive, unarchive thing but that had no effect.

Reader
azcraigrr
0 Kudos

Same problem here - I'm about halfway through the book, and it opens for a few seconds and closes again.  I also had done extensive highlighting.

One of the symptoms the last time I read it was that I was not able to change my highlighting color.  I don't like the default green (don't know how to change the default), so I always change it to yellow, except for headings I want to keep.

I tried the archive and re-download (even with a reboot in between) with no luck.

I guess I'll go exchange this thing tomorrow.  Disappointing.