Frequent Contributor
trex450
0 Kudos

no more paperback

this is not a complaint but a question.  now that we are paperbackless, the price of the downloaded version is the same as the paperback version.  are you comfortable with that?

i am.  no more folded pages, no more paperbacks laying around.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: no more paperback

Paperbackless??

Reader 2
NicAwesomeOle
0 Kudos

Personally, if an ebook is the same price (or a little more) as the paperback, I buy the paperback.

Because it's something tangible.

Correspondent
scjohanson5
0 Kudos

I think that the price of the ebook should be less than the paperback.  Most of the time that's the case, but not all of the time.  I put the ones that are overpriced on my wishlist and wait for the price to come down.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528

I just don't enjoy reading a DTB any more.  I much prefer the Nook.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
Traction_Bob
0 Kudos

Comfortable with it?  For the convenience of my nook, as well as being able to store it "forever" and look at it whenever I want, it works. I'd prefer that the cost of an eBook be lower than that of a paper book, and I might just hold off on buying it until the costs goes down just a little, but I'd choose an eBook over a paperback if I have the leisure to choose.

Distinguished Correspondent
mousetater
0 Kudos

I prefer eBooks to DTBs now that I have my Nook.  But I do think the cost of eBooks should be the same as or lower than a DTB.  If I should find a book I really LOVE, I might buy a DTB copy to keep on my bookshelf - and to be able to lend freely.

Contributor
MaverickNY

I'm not the best person to respond to this as I've been on a "pairing down my stuff" tear.  I bought my nook so I wouldn't have to store, donate, lend, drive to the library, lug to the office or otherwise deal with physical books anymore, so I'd buy an ebook for the same as the paperback price.  The author is entertaining me and needs to be paid regardless of the medium.  Of course I will always have some books, especially photo heavy books:  gardening, cooking, knitting, comics etc.  I am REALLY loving my nook and it's only been 3 weeks! 

Frequent Contributor
nook_fan
0 Kudos

I am all about getting eBooks rather than paperbacks. I love the idea of being able to keep them forever in mint condition. And there is no shelf space consideration. So I see myself continuing down this path. The size of the books and the capacity of the devices will lead to having nearly all owned books available at your fingertips. Very cool.

I do pay attention to the cost. I am generally willing to buy a $7 or less book on the spot if it interests me. When the price gets above that it goes on the wish list to see what might happen to the price. Now, I just learned that The Hobbit/LOTR are in eBook format currently going for $9.99. This is an example of where the $7 cap might get a a mid-season exception.

Clearly there are some books that don't work well in this format today, like technical, programming and design books etc. I will continue to buy those DTB.

Frequent Contributor
Dhanu
0 Kudos

When the hardback book first comes out and I have been waiting for it I will purchase it for the Nook without question.  If they have gone to paperback and the price differences are a buck or two I will purchase the paperback over the ebook.  I can pop the paperback just as easily into my purse as the Nook.

Correspondent
EffieTX
0 Kudos

Do you all think that 20 years from now we will still have access to the ebooks we are buying now? Or will the format change, and the ereaders change and we will just be buying them over again?

Oh, and I still buy DTB, if they are cheaper then the ebook version

Linda

Frequent Contributor
nook_fan
0 Kudos

EffieTX wrote:

Do you all think that 20 years from now we will still have access to the ebooks we are buying now? Or will the format change, and the ereaders change and we will just be buying them over again?

I do believe we will still have access to the ebooks - as long as you make backups. The companies may come and go, but if you have the data then  you can endure format changes, It will likely be a pain, but still very possible. Your average DTB will be pretty beat in 20 years. I have a good collection of books and go to fairly decent lengths to keep them "safe" (avoid cracking the spines etc.) but I have some that are 20+ years old that show their age. Still usable, but not that durable.

Frequent Contributor
nook_fan
0 Kudos

huh. Even though the quote function seems to work properly now, I like the old looking quotes they had. Clicking Post twice was not that bad...

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

nook_fan wrote:

huh. Even though the quote function seems to work properly now, I like the old looking quotes they had. Clicking Post twice was not that bad...

LOL  Maybe when you have 36 posts...  :smileywink:

I hated it!  I'm thrilled they fixed and in such a way that it's easier to manipulate and doesn't take up as much room.  The old format was pretty but far from functional.

Frequent Contributor
nook_fan
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy: 

*looks left, looks right* - n00b thinks 36 posts is not too shabby

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

nook_fan wrote:

:smileyvery-happy: 

*looks left, looks right* - n00b thinks 36 posts is not too shabby

LOL  No, you are doing quite well!  Hey, you're up to 38 now!