Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

nook Stands

I saw someone using a nook stand while reading in the bookstore (probably the Borders :smileywink:) the other day, and it made me curious. I usually hold the nook while reading it, but a stand would be useful sometimes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I looked them up on another site, but most of the ones I found were sold only on another site (one that rhymes with Ramazon). Are there any nook stands officially sold by B&N? Or any plans to develop one?

Also, for those who use nook stands, do you have any tips or points? Are they helpful? Can you use them even if you keep your nook in its case?

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: nook Stands

@Critteranne

A few weeks ago, someone was recommending the BookGem highly.  Looks a little like overkill to me, but if you want a stand, it might be worth checking out.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
sharno22

I use the B&N Easel cover.  Top flips back and stays open when you affix the strap.  I really like this cover.

Wordsmith
LM44
0 Kudos

There's also the FlexStand at M-Edge.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

I have the Bookgem book stand I really like it and would recommend it.  I use it if I'm reading while eating and since it folds flat, I can carry it with me when I take my Nook to work so I can use it to read during lunch.

Frequent Contributor
Beckah
0 Kudos

I have the Javoedge Cherry Blossoms flip style case. It has a small, snap-down easel tab in addition to the flip-from-top cover so I can stand my nook up. This case is fabulous when I fly. I set the nook upright on the tray table, so I don't have any weight on my hands. I usually keep one hand on it lightly just in case there's turbulence and I put it in a way that I can turn the pages by swiping. The case is very sturdy, well-made and quite secure since the nook slides into a fabric frame with cut-outs for all the buttons, etc. At home, I use it occasionally but I usually prefer to read with a naked nook. An unexpected benefit is that the on-off switch is covered, which I like since I know the nook will never be turned on by accident.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The B&N Industriell Easel Cover

Very sleek, subtle and functional.

Fold the cover back, touch the magnetic clasp to the cover (see picture) and you have a nice easel good to go. Only problem is if you're tall (over 6') normal tables and chairs give just a slight weird angle when it's propped up. I just lower my chair while reading and it's all good :smileyhappy:.

Nicest thing is that when you're done reading and you close the cover, the clasp clutches magnetically at the cover with a nice satsifying thunk- really feels like you're closing a book :smileyhappy:.

Burnished metal clasp has "nook" engraved on it.

Edit: I absolutely hate the feel of leather and this cover has a nice soft suede feel to it with elegant stitching on the sides - looks way more expensive than it is :smileyvery-happy:. Priceless! :smileyhappy:

The cake is a lie.
Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

I bought the Javo-Edge flip style cover specifically for the "stand" function.   It works great at the table, on a plane and any time when you get tired of holding.

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Contributor
dualpicks

[ Edited ]

I use the bookgemI LOVE IT!

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

Just ordered a bookgem (even though I have an easel cover already). Folks should check out their 3 min video. It is absolutely amazing :smileysurprised: and can used for regular books, most ereaders (including the nook) and best of all - can be propped up at a shallow or steep angle (which, depending on your height and chair situation can be very useful).

Thanks for the info dualpicks :smileyhappy:.

The cake is a lie.
kc5455
0 Kudos

I have a Book Chair, which I had purchased for paper books before I bought my Nook.  I purchased it at.:smileyhappy:.Barnes and Noble about a year ago in the store.  I don't see it sold online though.

I use it with my Nook both for reading and charging.  I would think any book stand would work just as well.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
__Dr. Seuss
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Critteranne wrote:

I saw someone using a nook stand while reading in the bookstore (probably the Borders :smileywink:) the other day, and it made me curious. I usually hold the nook while reading it, but a stand would be useful sometimes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I looked them up on another site, but most of the ones I found were sold only on another site (one that rhymes with Ramazon). Are there any nook stands officially sold by B&N? Or any plans to develop one?

Also, for those who use nook stands, do you have any tips or points? Are they helpful? Can you use them even if you keep your nook in its case?

I've been using a book stand since day one. I went to walmart and spent a couple of bucks on a wood photo frame easel. Works great and I can fold it up and slip it in my purse to take with me. 

I use mine to read in bed. I put the stand on my nightstand, plug my nook in and set it on it's SIDE on the stand. I can read in bed while it's charging.I don't have to worry about falling asleep with it in my hand and dropping it if I fall asleep reading. I also use it to prop my book to read at lunch so my hands are free to eat with. though...keeping a napkin handy for page turns is a good idea.

It even looks ritzy. I suppose you could spray paint one some fancy color, like gold or something...but honestly...I'd rather spend my money on books, than an overpriced stand that isn't necessary.  Hey...Maybe I should run to walmart, buy several, spray paint them and then charge people a bundle for them~!!!! LOL!

pamela

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats

I keep my Nook in its case when I use it with a stand.

I've tried it with a couple of different stands so far.

The first one, the Dogstand, proved to be unreliable. It tended to try to lick me every time I sat close enough to be able to read my Nook and it jumped up to bark out the window any time someone walked their dog past my house. On the rare occasion that the Dogstand relaxed enough to go into sleep mode, it intermittently emitted odors strong enough to make me leave the room.

The second one, the Catstand, was a much better choice but not without problems. I could get closer to read my Nook as the Catstand seemed indifferent to my presence and would go into sleep mode for quite a while; however, eventually it got a little surly and tried to swipe at my hand when I swiped the Nook to turn the page. The difference in swiping methods was notable as I used a gentle swipe and the Catstand used a sharp, pointy swipe.

I will continue to seek out a good, reliable stand and keep you updated on my progress.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@Conniecats

I've never understood the big deal about just holding your Nook, so your post is the first one I've read on any of the stand threads that was really worth reading.  To say nothing of hilarious.

Thanks!  :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats

Thanks ABthree!

I neglected to mention that the Catstand also has a 2.0 version. It may be newer but it's bulkier and has some of the same problems as the original Catstand.

Frequent Contributor
_deb_
0 Kudos

Just as an additional note to the Dogstand review.....  I have it in small, medium, and large sizes and none work effectively while eating or on a plane :smileytongue:

Hope to see you later at...

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if this will help you or not but I bought a laptop lap desk from Bed, Bath and Beyond. It fits on your lap (naturally) and has legs that fold down to ease any pressure on your legs. The desk part raises up and make a nice place to put your nook or DTB.  It even has a light that works quite nicely.

I had to do this because our Catstand stopped cooperating and insists on sleeping elsewhere.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
AllenR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Conniecats wrote:

Thanks ABthree!

I neglected to mention that the Catstand also has a 2.0 version. It may be newer but it's bulkier and has some of the same problems as the original Catstand.

I have to admit I am not a cat lover, quite the opposite in fact - sorry folks!

However, this looks like a great app for the animal that does nothing useful normally.   However, I can see a problem with it walking away just when I'm getting to the good part of the book, no doubt just to p**s me off.  

I have a solution for that at V3.0, which solves all my cat issues...

Taxidermy !   :smileysurprised:

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

I have also used the CatStand on occasion, and experienced similar difficulties with the occassional pointy swipe, LOL! Too funny!

I have the BookGem stand and LOVE IT! It's compact, light and goes with me everywhere. I like to read at the table when home and also in restaurants sometimes, especially if I'm alone, and it is very handy. Holds my nook just fine in its JAVOedge book style cover.

I like the shallower angle best I think. But it's nice you get a choice of two angles. Plus, it can hold real books, though I've not yet used it for same.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Frequent Contributor
SonDan1
0 Kudos

I wanted a stand too and got a 50 cent plastic business card holder from Office Depot. It works great, but I rarely use it since I prefer holding my Nook barehanded for quicker page turns.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." ~Groucho Marx